How well does the Shadow handle a crossing?

canadagal

I've been on the Whisper but only on Caribbean itineraries. I was wondering how well the Shadow handles the South Pacific......specifically Chile to Tahiti.

I've been on Regent's Navigator and she seems to be about the same size of the Shadow. Crossed to Bermuda on the Navigator and although it was choppy I found it okay while others onboard were ill.

Any thoughts from you seasoned Shadow cruisers.

Pat

canadagal,

In 2006 l took a long cruise from West South America to the Maldives with a 16 night crossing from Rio to St Helena and Africa.

The Rio to St Helena leg was 9 straight South-Atlantic sea days in March.

It was a great crossing!

The suprising part of this story is that lt was on the Silver Wind.

We had one choppy day and she handled it beautifully. Even though she is a smaller ship than the Shadow. The next leg was a 15 night around the cape of Southern Africa which has some of the wildest sea's anywhere, but to my dismay it was a smooth fine trip.

I have also enjoyed a Trans-Atlantic from London to San-Fran in not so good weather on the Whisper. There were a couple people who were a bit under the weather as a result but by and large she handled it a lot better than what l expected and most passengers really enjoyed it.

I would not worry at all.

Everything will be fine!

You will have a great trip...

What part of and which year are you going??

Thanks for your candid answer. Sounds good to me. We have the 14 day October 10/08, Santiago to Tahiti on hold until I can figure out air. Great sale price so we couldn't resist.

Will be making deposit in a few days.

Pat

Pat- Were looking at that cruise ourselves. Interesting itinerary at a nice price. Don't know if the dates work though, but are going to look into it. We take our first Silversea cruise in two weeks in Northern Europe on the Silver Wind. Can't wait. Looking forward to comparing them with Regent.

John and Kathy - your trivia pals from the Mariner NZ-LA crossing

But Silversea's own website shows that voyage at only 10% discount!

Certain agencies are now selling that sailing at 50% off......not the 10% as shown on the website. I never would have known about the sale if I hadn't of received an email newsletter from an agency. It's the old story. As soon as cancellation penalities kick in, out come the sales to fill the remainder of the ship. Bad for those that booked months or a year in advance but all the cruiselines do it. I've paid more for cruises too that I booked 18 months in advance and then I find out after final payment or close to then that there are cheaper prices for new bookings only. Not the fairest policy in my opinion and it's not only SS that practices it.

Pat

Pat- Were looking at that cruise ourselves. Interesting itinerary at a nice price. Don't know if the dates work though, but are going to look into it. We take our first Silversea cruise in two weeks in Northern Europe on the Silver Wind. Can't wait. Looking forward to comparing them with Regent.

John and Kathy - your trivia pals from the Mariner NZ-LA crossing

I like both lines. At that price we made the dates work and will be cancelling a similar voyage on Regent that we are currrently booked on at a much higher price.

Pat

Archived