12 hours to open water?

Goodmorning all. Quick question. We are looking at Granduer out of baltimore next summer for the 9 night eastern caribbean. I noticed in the cruise critic news that carnival is coming to baltimore in september of 2009. They said because baltimore is not right on the atlantic, they would have to add 12 hours to the travel time. Just wonder if anyone has done granduer and was it that long to get to open water?

I guess living on the Gulf Coast I never realized that other ports of departure wasn't right on open water. But 12 hours or 2 hours, at least you are still on a cruise. Just think of it this way by the time you wake up in the morning you will be out to sea :p

Yes, it is approximately 12 hours down the Chesapeake.

Remember, the Chesapeake, at almost 200 miles is the largest estuary in the US and it takes a little time to get to the Atlantic.

You will have many hours of daylight on the trip out but the trip back will/should be overnight.

We did a cruise out of Baltimore several years ago and it was around 10 hours to get to open water so the 12 hours is probabaly a guesstimate. The Chesapeake Bay is a no wake zone so there are speed restrictions plus, it's a busy shipping channel.

I don't think it's 12, maybe closer to 9 or 10. On the way back you get into the bay around 11PM or midnight,and the ship is docked by 7:00 or 7:30, most of the time.

There may be a "speed limit" but I don't think it's due to a no wake zone. The bay is petty big, especially in the middle, there are times you can't see one side or the other.

For a look at the track down the bay, check out my map of Grandeur returning to Baltimore from 2006. Zoom "out" 3 or 4 clicks to see the whole bay.

Theron

It is a wonderful trip down the Bay! We cossed the Bay Bridge Tunnel at about midnight. We also went slightly under a bridge or two! Baltimore is a very convenient port from I-95 also. we were on and off the ship very quickly there.

Goodmorning all. Quick question. We are looking at Granduer out of baltimore next summer for the 9 night eastern caribbean. I noticed in the cruise critic news that carnival is coming to baltimore in september of 2009. They said because baltimore is not right on the atlantic, they would have to add 12 hours to the travel time. Just wonder if anyone has done granduer and was it that long to get to open water?

Hi Mike,

Yes, it does take some time to reach open water. I have taken the Grandeur out of Baltimore a few times. Departure is usually at 4 PM. It will be daylight when you go under the two bridges, do go up on deck and enjoy the views. It will be dark when you get to the Bay Tunnel but you may be able to see the lights, that is if you are still awake. The Baltimore people are very good at getting you onboard very quickly, and debark has gone very smoothly for me too. I was quite impressed the first time I went out or Baltimore. It is not what one would call a state of the art terminal, I was expecting it to take a long time, but as I said, it was a most pleasant experience. Of course the staff had a lot to do with it, very helpful and friendly.

I love cruising on RCI and expect that you and your family will too. I hope you have a wonderful cruise experience. But watch out, you may get hooked!, but oh my, what a great addiction :) .

Annieeee

Not from Baltimore....but have cruised from Philadelphia....same there.... Long trek down the Delware River, through Deleware Bay and into the open ocean....10-12 hours.......

If you look at a map, you'll see why. Plus, they must move slowly to avoid traffic and to stay in the dredged areas.

When we went to drydock in Sparrows Point Shipyard in Baltimore it didnt take us 12 hours to get to open water. Even to Chess light I Think it was only 4-5 hours in the middle of a serious blizzard. Good ole Navy Days.

Archived