Yikes Infants on board

wcolucci

I just checked HAL's web site. For your cruise they currently show Infant fare of $377.49

They show the child fare (2 - 18 yrs) as $577.49

I mentioned above that since this conversation started, and after your post specifically about your fare for an Alaskan cruise, I went out and checked the on-line agency we used. Sure enough prices were a little lower for our cruise (as to be expected since it leaves in 2 weeks) but there was a significant drop in the fare for a passenger under 2. I called the agency who called HAL - we are now receiving a $160+ credit :D Apparently, some time between July and October HAL started charging a reduced fare for passengers under 2.

Can you let us know how your cruise goes including other passengers response to your (i'm certain) beautiful daughter?? I will be cruising with my 11.5 month old nephew in January (together with his parents, grandparents, aunt etc...) and would love to know what we are in for!!

Another source of good info, if you have not been there yet, is the Family Cruising forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I have gotten a lot of info from there already, including an excellent packing list that has tips on how to handle certain cruise related challenges. You can find the reference to that here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Since there is a lot of discussion about price on this thread, let me share with you how we made our decision about going with HAL over Disney. We booked the S suite and for the 3 of us, it cost $2800. Total. On Disney, a smaller room (Much Smaller) would have cost us close to $5000. Now when our son is old enough to participate in some of the Disney activities, I will pay the extra money, but for just a get away from the house vacation, the obvious choice is HAL.

It's not the cost of the trip, but where the children would fit in best.

I was on the Crystal Harmony last summer and found our cabin was next to a couple and their 6 month old twins.

They cried all night for the first 3 days.

Not their fault, but if I was on Disney I would expect children. I did't expect infants on Crystal and I don't on HAL when I trave during the "school Year".

In other words, your kids may be the best bables in the whole world, - but have consideration for the other people taking their vacations.

WJBONDS,

Last time I checked, HAL wasn’t an adult only cruise line. Has something changed I'm not aware of?? Bottom line is HAL was more than glad to take our money so if you are upset about kids being on 'your' cruise, complain to the cruise line.

Also, when we cruised before we had our son, I had many more issues with drunk and disorderly passengers than I did with kids in the middle of the night.

Last time I checked, HAL wasn’t an adult only cruise line. Has something changed I'm not aware of?? Bottom line is HAL was more than glad to take our money so if you are upset about kids being on 'your' cruise, complain to the cruise line.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. The poster was, rightly, upset that the noise from the next cabin was off-putting. Showing consideration doesn't mean keeping all children off the boat, but (and this applies to everyone, not only children) not disturbing others.

Also, when we cruised before we had our son, I had many more issues with drunk and disorderly passengers than I did with kids in the middle of the night.

Bet that put you off sailing on Carnival again! :rolleyes:

We've been cruising for years as an extended family... as of late, exclusively with HAL. No one can tell you if cruisinfg will or won't be a good choice for your family this year... and the answer may be different every year.

But do review the various options offered by other lines. Disney welcomes infants and even has babysitting available if the opportunity for a romantic dinner became your goal. I think I read somewhere that HAL does not allow babies under 6 months, so please confirm that younger is welcome.

To a previous poster... Cruising with a toddler will require high energy on your part. Why not invite the granparents or other relatives along... bring enough reinforcments to help aid you while he or she explores the ship. Bring your own baby proofing items and DO NOT get a veranda, they all have space on floor level to allow rain, etc, to drain to avoid flooding.

We were not brave enough to cruise with the kids so young. But we still bring a suitcase full of medications and comfort items just in case... Its cumbersome, but better to be prepared for anything.

We cruised last Christmas with our daughter (then 9 months) on Royal Carribean 12 day Panama trip. We had no problems. By the end of the cruise she had all the other passengers and crew members eating out of her hand. It would take me an extra 30 minutes to go anywhere because of all the people coming up and cooing over her. Luckily, she has never been fussy and sleeps through the night so did not disturb anyone else. Also, never had a problem with her in the dining room. We gave her a bread roll and that kept her happy the entire time. Make sure you ask your pediatrician to prescribe an antibiotic and write the prescription so that the pharmacy does not add water so the antibiotic does not go bad or need to be refrigerated. If your child gets sick the pharmacy will instruct you on how much water to add and even sent me with a bottle of distilled water to mix the medicine. We have traveled quite a bit with our daughter to some far away places and this is always a big help. We also bring the basics as far as tylenol, thermometer, etc. Also, they offered a babysitting service for $8 an hour. They ask crew members if they want to earn extra money and we had no problem getting a babysitter. We scuba dive so can't take our daughter. Also, it is cheaper to hire a babysitter than pay for her to go on a tour. We are sailing over Christmas on a 21 day trip to South America on HAL and are once again taking her. I was told that HAL also have baby sitters that they get from their crew. Usually the crew members are happy to earn some extra money. They also provide the crib, high chair, etc. but make sure you bring an umbrella stroller with a plastic rain cover (big strollers are too bulky and get in the way of the other passengers). We also bring a small collapsable cooler to store baby food, formula, etc and the purser always keeps it full of ice. On this cruise we are booking primarily private tours instead of the ship tours so we won't bother any of the other cruisers if she gets cranky after riding around all day.

I definately say go for it unless your child has health problems or is cranky.

It's not the cost of the trip, but where the children would fit in best.

I was on the Crystal Harmony last summer and found our cabin was next to a couple and their 6 month old twins.

They cried all night for the first 3 days.

Not their fault, but if I was on Disney I would expect children. I did't expect infants on Crystal and I don't on HAL when I trave during the "school Year".

In other words, your kids may be the best bables in the whole world, - but have consideration for the other people taking their vacations.

I'm sorry to point this out, but if you went on ANY vacation you would run into other people's children. If you chose to go to France you could just as easily end up with a couple with 6 month old twins next door. When you go out for dinner to a restaurant there is every chance that a couple could show up with a young child. I don't think people with children should be forced to restrict their activities to areas you consider to be "child appropriate". I am not trying to flame you, merely trying to point out that if you do NOT want to interact with anyone but you and your cruise partner you would probably be better served on a private island. If you don't want to interact with children perhaps you could find a line that caters specifically to your child-free choices. Just a thought. :D

I'm sorry to point this out, but if you went on ANY vacation you would run into other people's children. If you chose to go to France you could just as easily end up with a couple with 6 month old twins next door. When you go out for dinner to a restaurant there is every chance that a couple could show up with a young child. I don't think people with children should be forced to restrict their activities to areas you consider to be "child appropriate". I am not trying to flame you, merely trying to point out that if you do NOT want to interact with anyone but you and your cruise partner you would probably be better served on a private island. If you don't want to interact with children perhaps you could find a line that caters specifically to your child-free choices. Just a thought. :D

It isn't a question of restricting children, but of ANYONE who might interfere with a good night's sleep. Or a decent meal, although one would expect the parents of a wailing infant to remove it from the dining room.

Archived