Flying Delta out of Barcelona- carryon limit?

We are flying Delta out of Barcelona to JFK. Does anyone know if the carry-on rules are the same flying out of Barcelona as they are flying out of the US? (22", plus a personal items) I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks!

We are flying Delta out of Barcelona to JFK. Does anyone know if the carry-on rules are the same flying out of Barcelona as they are flying out of the US? (22", plus a personal items) I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks!

Yes. As long as your round-trip flight originated in the US. Not sure if, let's say, this is a return trip only after a transatlantic.

From everything I have researched, the rules are the ones from where your flight originated. Even if for some reason Delta used a European partner flight for your trip home, the "rules" (at least up to now) are from the originating US flight.

Thank you ~ that's the info that Delta gave me when I called, but someone had told me that the European airports had their own rules.
This can be true. Some airports also have their own rules. If they do, and if they're stricter than the airline's rules, then the airport's rules will obviously be the limit you need to work to.

For example, if you depart from any UK airport, the maximum size of bag that can go through the security checkpoint is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. Even if your airline will allow a bigger bag into the cabin, the checkpoint won't allow it through. So the airport's rules take precedence.

Of course, the opposite may also apply. At most UK airports, you can take as many bags as you like through security (each no bigger than that maximum size). But many airlines allow only one bag into the cabin. So obviously, the airlines' rules take precedence here. It all depends on which is more restrictive.

:) :) we are going from newark to gatwick with continental..after the cruise we plan on going to edinburgh so our plans are aug 27 newark to gatwick,,,,,sept 11 gatwick to edinburgh....sept 17 edinburgh to newark...on aug 27 and sept 17th 2 checked bags and 2 carryons are allowed....but on sept 11th, will British airways only allow 1 check and 1 carryon since they will consider this as a domestic flight? these arrangements were done on separate tickets...it is so confusing..thanks:)

Kruzin'

I'm pretty sure you'll be restricted to one bag and one carry on, as the flight to Scotland will be classed as a separate domestic flight

We have the same problem if we make our own plans to fly to/from London to catch a transatlantic flight

I did think only 1 and 1
In case you haven't seen it' date=' I have given you the correct answer in the other thread in which you asked the question about the allowances on domestic flights:-
Checked baggage allowance: One bag

Maximum dimensions per bag (H+W+L): 158cm (62in)

Maximum weight per bag: 23kg (51lbs)*

*Overweight bags effective November 2008

In accordance with the UK Health and Safety Executive’s recommendation on the maximum weight for checked baggage, British Airways has introduced a limit of 23kg (51lbs) for any single checked bag as part of your free baggage allowance.

We understand that there are times when you will need to exceed this limit. Therefore, from November 2008, a flat fee of £25 GBP will be applied to bags weighing more than 23kg (51lbs). This charge is to cover the additional handling that bags weighing over 23kg (51lbs) can attract.

Until this charge is implemented, we will continue to accept a single piece of baggage weighing up to 32kg (70lbs) without charge.

Please note that we will not accept a bag heavier than 32kg (70lbs) as checked baggage.

Excess baggage charge (UK Domestic): £20 per bag or £16 per bag if paid online (includes 20% discount)

Hand baggage

2 piece hand baggage allowance for all British Airways flights

The UK Department for Transport has given approval to most UK airports to remove the one-bag restriction on hand baggage. This covers all UK airports that British Airways flies out of and as a result, you can now carry 2 pieces of hand baggage when travelling on all British Airways flights.

The following allowances apply:

• one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
  • In addition, one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase
  • A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.

You may think that the excess baggage charge of £16 per bag is a bargain. I certainly take that view.

Archived