Xcaret and Sunscreen

deuceybean

Looking at the Xcaret website, it talks about not wearing sunscreen because it can throw off the natural balance of the water and the fishies and such. Is there certain sunscreen that is allowed? I can't go all day in an outdoor environment like that without sunblock, I will fry like a rock lobster. Has anyone been there and maybe has a better understanding of what this means?

I believe you are able to wear biodegradable sunscreeen, which doesn't harm the fishies. I read somewhre that Burt's Bees has a biodegradable kind, and that's the only one I know of. You can probably find it at your local drugstore or maybe Target.

Sunscreen that is worn inside of Xcaret and Xel Ha, as well as the entire Cozumel marine park must be biodegradable, PABA and Oil-Free, and Chemical Free. This specifically includes octinoxate, oxybenzone, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor, and the preservative butylparaben, all which have been proven to damage coral reefs, and are widely used in commercial sunscreens.

Some brands to use that are truly marine-friendly are Caribbean Sol, Smartshield, Mexitan, BATAB, UV Natural, Kiss My Face, and Cactus Juice.

Some brands that are natural and biodegradable but contain some of the chemicals listed above are Nature's Gate and SafeSea.

Some brands that are not acceptable are Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic (except perhaps Blue Bottle Biodegradable), Coppertone, No-AD, and Panama Jack.

Plan on buying online because you won't find most of the acceptable brands at your local store. Burts Bees is not biodegradable.

Sunscreen that is worn inside of Xcaret and Xel Ha, as well as the entire Cozumel marine park must be biodegradable, PABA and Oil-Free, and Chemical Free. This specifically includes octinoxate, oxybenzone, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor, and the preservative butylparaben, all which have been proven to damage coral reefs, and are widely used in commercial sunscreens.

Some brands to use that are truly marine-friendly are Caribbean Sol, Smartshield, Mexitan, BATAB, UV Natural, Kiss My Face, and Cactus Juice.

Some brands that are natural and biodegradable but contain some of the chemicals listed above are Nature's Gate and SafeSea.

Some brands that are not acceptable are Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic (except perhaps Blue Bottle Biodegradable), Coppertone, No-AD, and Panama Jack.

Plan on buying online because you won't find most of the acceptable brands at your local store. Burts Bees is not biodegradable.

Thanks so much for this info, I will start shopping now :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived