Digital camera on a snorkling excursion

2BCruising

Uh oh. I have one of those D-AM Ewa-Marine bags for my first digital camera - a Kodak DC-280.

{kidding about uh oh}

Worked fine - actually probably does still work fine. I still have it somewhere. Just that I moved on - different camera, different case.

Not familiar with the camera he will be using in it. May not be able to access all of the controls, but certainly enough to take pictures.

Easier to use than the cases rated for deeper depths - don't have to fool with gaskets and grease. Just follow the directions and try to figure it out (not tough) before you are on a snorkel boat headed somewhere. A bathtub or pool (without the camera) to make sure you got it right and it doesn't leak, and then maybe ditto with the camera to get the feel of it.

10X, I have photoelements 2 also & I'd love to get your layering technique. Since the HP 945 doesn't have a underwater housing yet, I still have to use my "Snapsight" toy camera, and anything would help the photos (better than the 1 use ones anyhow).

Here is the layering technique, just a given to me. I don't take any credit for it, I just know it works.

A helpful hint here. There are two locations in PSE that you can use the "Layer" function. One is from the top line menu, the other is in the "layer properties" window. I had to hunt around a bit to find the correct window but once I figured it out, it was easy.

Where you see "luminosity", "multiply" and "screen", use the layer properties window. Otherwise, it's the top line menu.

You can add too much red, so if your photo has a red or pink hue, or if the water begins to turn purple, tone down the amount of red you're using. You do this in step 7 where it says "#FF0000". Use a different number, which can be selected on the sliding bar on the right of this window.

Enjoy!!!

Denny

For the photos that are "too blue" here's what I do in Elements:

1) Open your "blue" image.

2) Make 3 new layers -- Layer / Duplicate Layer...

As: <default>

Document: <default>

click OK

do thi three times.

3) Select the "middle" layer -- "Background copy 2" by default

4) Select Edit/Fill... in the dialog, set the following:

Use: 50% Gray

Mode: Normal

Opacity: 100%

Clear Preserve Transparency

click OK

5) Select the "top" layer -- "Background copy 3" by default

6) In the layer properties, select Luminosity

7) Layer / Merge Down

Layer / New Fill Layer / Solid Color

Name: <default>

Check Group with Previous Layer

Mode: Normal

Opacity: 100%

click OK

#: FF0000

click OK

9) Layer to Multiply

10) Layer / Merge Down

11) Layer to Screen

12) Layer / Merge Down

13) Try Enhance / Auto Levels -- Undo if worse

14) Try Enhance / Auto Contract - Undo if worse

15) Try Enhance / Auto Color Correction - Undo if worse

16) Layer / Flatten Image

17) Save as copy.

OK, as promised I am reporting that I received the underwater camera case for our digital camera today. I ordered it 10/21/04 & received it today. I think that was pretty good service. I am probably going to give it to hubby before we leave so he can check it out.

Hi 10X...Thanks for the tips on using Elements. They will come in handy. So, my DH and I will cruising this coming Sunday. Too bad I didn't think of starting this thread a bit earlier...I would have had enough time to buy a waterproof housing. But that's okay...we're going to enjoy this cruise (and book a future one). :) Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from my cruise. Had a wonderful time. Went kayaking and snorkeling. Now looking at buying a waterproof housing for my digital camera. (Only a few pictures came out using the disposable camera). I could definitely use the waterproof digital on land to catch some of those gorgeous beach shots (and not have to worry about getting sand in the lens). Can't wait for the next cruise.

If you want to take photos in the water, I'd recommend an underwater housing for a digital camera. I use a Canon S400. If you simply want to keep your good camera clean and dry while at the beach, you can always buy an Otter or Pelican Box, which will do the job nicely. Please don't waste your money on a disposable underwater camera. Here's a link to some of my photos. simply click on the blue title to display (Sorry about no thumbnails). These were all taken with a Sea and Sea MX10 with YS40A strobe - about $650. I do just as well now with the Canon digital and Canon housing, both for about $550, and don't have to pay for developing film.

http://www.photosig.com/go/mysig/myportfoliophotos?id=48730

Whatever you choose, get out there and get wet!

• 4 months later...
If you want to take photos in the water, I'd recommend an underwater housing for a digital camera. I use a Canon S400. If you simply want to keep your good camera clean and dry while at the beach, you can always buy an Otter or Pelican Box, which will do the job nicely. Please don't waste your money on a disposable underwater camera. Here's a link to some of my photos. simply click on the blue title to display (Sorry about no thumbnails). These were all taken with a Sea and Sea MX10 with YS40A strobe - about $650. I do just as well now with the Canon digital and Canon housing, both for about $550, and don't have to pay for developing film.

http://www.photosig.com/go/mysig/myportfoliophotos?id=48730

Whatever you choose, get out there and get wet!

Hello DiveTex. was not able to access the pix even after I joined with Limited.. oh well. I think I will heed the advice of ZydecoCruiser and go get a housing for my PowerShot Elph S500 and "see" the world I love.. after ...

I recently bought a housing for my digital and am looking forward to using it. I do have a question though....where the heck do I buy a new O ring for it, and how do I know the size, etc? I looked at the printed materials I got with the housing, but can't see where a part number etc., is listed. I definitely don't need a replacement yet, but cameras come and go so fast that I'd like to have a couple spare parts in case they discontinue the camera and housing.

Any hints would be hugely appreciated.

First I try contacting the manufacturer directly from their web site.

Having a spare o-ring might not be a bad idea if you keep it well coated with silicone and store it flat. If you are going to store the housing for an extended length of time, you can do the same with the original o-ring. Take it out of the housing, coat it with silicon lube and store it flat in a sealed plastic bag. That way is will keep it's correct round shape. Going this will make your o-ring last longer.

Thank you BruceR.. very sound advise.. for someone even like myself, I forget to Follow up after a trip.. so i printed your advise to REMIND ME.. thank you! I usually use a piece of wax paper to lay the O ring on and then put in zippy.. but now that i have seen some of these sealed bags.. i ckd one out at my dive shop Northshore Aquatics and i really think they are good! thanks again BruceR.

Archived