Cruise West experience

stonebolt

We just returned from our "Glaciers of Prince William Sound" cruise aboard the Spirit of Columbia with Cruise West. It was our first time to Alaska and first cruise. I am posting because when we started planning all we knew for sure was that we did not want to be on a floating city and we were going for the scenery and the wildlife. Well, we got plenty of both and so much more. We had a great experience from start to finish. The ship was the perfect size to actually get to know the people we were sailing with and quite comfortable. The food was great! We saw all of the wildlife that we had on our wish list. I would be happy to answer questions to anyone considering a Cruise West experience.

So glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! Same situation for me (42), 1st cruise and 1st time to Alaska. I am just days away myself, my 84 yr old father, and 50ish sister as my travel companions. What ports did you visit; how were the CW Exploration Leaders? Did you have much time in ports? I'd heard some reports that the food was sub-par, but happy to hear that it wasn't true for you! Welcome back!

We just returned from our "Glaciers of Prince William Sound" cruise aboard the Spirit of Columbia with Cruise West. It was our first time to Alaska and first cruise. I am posting because when we started planning all we knew for sure was that we did not want to be on a floating city and we were going for the scenery and the wildlife. Well, we got plenty of both and so much more. We had a great experience from start to finish. The ship was the perfect size to actually get to know the people we were sailing with and quite comfortable. The food was great! We saw all of the wildlife that we had on our wish list. I would be happy to answer questions to anyone considering a Cruise West experience.

We are leaving in 2 weeks on exactly the same cruise and I am so looking forward to it. We went on a big cruise ship last year and enjoyed it, but I wanted a more personal experience this time. I am very glad to hear you had a great trip - I have read a lot of negative things about Cruise West.

Questions

1. What kind of cabin did you have and was it as small and spartan as I have heard? Were the beds comfortable? (I have a touchy back).

2. I would also like to know how the exploration leaders were. Have heard some criticism that they weren't all that knowledgeable.

3. Were the inflatables used? If so, how often?

Thanks!

The only port of call on this cruise is in Cordova. Quaint fishing village basically. Check out the art center. Don't know which PWS cruise you chose but the artists are working on Wednesday. All price ranges and kicking myself that I did not buy a few more small pieces. The cultural center is well done and there is a small grocery type store. Milk was $8 a gal. We did glacier hiking and rafting. Great family run excursion. We had a woman in her 80's take part so mild ride but fun and beautiful.

One of the most fun people we met onboard was 93 years old. All adults will enjoy.

Copper was the exploration leader and I think is doing this cruise all season. Very knowledgeable and personable. Knows a lot about the area and adds so much to the cruise. Fabulous staff and very comfortable. We had booked an outside cabin but switched for an inside as we had trouble sleeping without darkness. Double bed...large husband...we were comfortable. Honestly, we were on deck or in the lounge most of the time.

Everyone seemed to think the food was very good except one food snob who said she took vacations just for the food at times. Plenty to eat...the chef is from LA and the pastry chef was my personal favorite....it's hello weight watchers this week. Hope this helps you. You are going to have a great time.

The only port of call on this cruise is in Cordova. Quaint fishing village basically. Check out the art center. Don't know which PWS cruise you chose but the artists are working on Wednesday. All price ranges and kicking myself that I did not buy a few more small pieces. The cultural center is well done and there is a small grocery type store. Milk was $8 a gal. We did glacier hiking and rafting. Great family run excursion. We had a woman in her 80's take part so mild ride but fun and beautiful.

One of the most fun people we met onboard was 93 years old. All adults will enjoy.

Copper was the exploration leader and I think is doing this cruise all season. Very knowledgeable and personable. Knows a lot about the area and adds so much to the cruise. Fabulous staff and very comfortable. We had booked an outside cabin but switched for an inside as we had trouble sleeping without darkness. Double bed...large husband...we were comfortable. Honestly, we were on deck or in the lounge most of the time.

Everyone seemed to think the food was very good except one food snob who said she took vacations just for the food at times. Plenty to eat...the chef is from LA and the pastry chef was my personal favorite....it's hello weight watchers this week. Hope this helps you. You are going to have a great time.

Thanks so much for the info. I am very happy to hear such a good review. I am not going for the luxury or the food, but for the close up and personal experience with Alaska. As long as I can sleep comfortably, I'm fine. I also do not plan on spending any time in my room other than to get dressed and sleep!:D

Sorry to hear about the wonderful pastries. :p I'm gonna be in trouble!

One other question. We are also doing the hiking and rafting excursion. How much time did you have to explore the town before/after your excursion?

Thanks again for the info. I plan on writing a detailed review when I return because there is so little information to be had about Cruise West on this forum.

If i remember correctly we got to Cordova around nine,disembarked around 10 and then had until lunch to explore...it's all of 4 buildings just off the dock. the excursions all started at 1pm and we got back to ship shortly before evening meal.

If i remember correctly we got to Cordova around nine,disembarked around 10 and then had until lunch to explore...it's all of 4 buildings just off the dock. the excursions all started at 1pm and we got back to ship shortly before evening meal.

Thanks for the info!

Thank you for your posting. We're scheduled to sail the Inside Passage on the Spirit of 98 in August. We're happy to hear your reports of your experience aboard ship. We are most interested in seeing Alaska's natural beauty. It sounds llike Cruise West offers that type of experience.

Archived