How far from train station to Duomo in Florence?

Hey friends,

I need some information and advice about getting from the main train station in Florence to our hotel which is about a block from the Duomo.

I have visions of DH and I pulling our luggage on cobblestone streets, shooing masses of gypsy children away from us!

Please advise! If we secure a taxi, do we need to negotiate a price before we get in here as well, or is it metered like here at home?

Thanks in advance!

Grits

Hey friends,

I need some information and advice about getting from the main train station in Florence to our hotel which is about a block from the Duomo.

I have visions of DH and I pulling our luggage on cobblestone streets, shooing masses of gypsy children away from us!

Please advise! If we secure a taxi, do we need to negotiate a price before we get in here as well, or is it metered like here at home?

Thanks in advance!

Grits

When you get off the train just go outside to the taxi line and get a taxi to your hotel..no big deal or problem.Write down the name and address of your hotel in case the diver does not speak any English,but this is usually no problem either.They are metered BTW,and you will not run into masses of of gypsy children if you chose to walk.Enjoy your stay in Florenece.

Previous walking times are probably right if you are pulling luggage. Walkways along that street aren't really that bad.

You said your hotel was about a block from the Duomo. Depending upon which direction that block is, you could be in a pedestrian only area and a taxi would be of no use. If it were us, we would walk it. No big deal.

Unless you have an over abundance of luggage, walking it is fine. I have done is several times and you will see others doing the same thing. With that in mind, the taxi is an easy option too and there will be a stand directly outside the station. Signs will easily lead you in the right direction. And don't worry about the gypsy kids. I have been to Florence 8 or so times and it is a wonderful city. Practice common sense just like you would in any major city in the US. Pickpocketing can happen anywhere.

A block from the Duomo...if you decide to walk it, there are curbs to negotiate. There is a pedestrian underpass to get you going in the right direction. There will be many other people dragging luggage also! A taxi can deliver you to the hotel even if the area is ZTL (zona trafffico limitato - pretty easy to understand without a translation - limited traffic) - the price? They are supposed to use the meter, make sure they are doing so! It might cost more on a Sunday or holiday (which is legal).

If walking, do realize that it is a busy city, local people may not have much patience with visitors (after they have been held up by so many on their way to work/home - where ever), so if luggage laden, to avoid stress (your own) be ready to step a bit aside and let the faster ones by - walking side by side would block the side walk in some points. Just be careful about any handbags/cameras while also worrying about the luggage - backpacks are a temptation for thieves (there may be some on bicycles, so keep to the building side, not the street!)...But there are thousands of tourists who take their luggage around with no problem.

Archived