booking onboard question

Sorry if this is a re-hash of old info but the search function is down.

I am cruising in October and always book my next cruise while onboard. For my next cruise, I am organizing a family cruise with 4 siblings and spouses (so far).

On 3 past cruises, we have taken our adult children and their wives. These were all booked while onboard. I paid for their cabins on these cruises.

My question is, am I able to book cabins for my siblings whle on board? If I am paying for everyone's deposit at the time of booking, does that affect whether I can book these onboard?

Thanks!

You should have no problem booking the cabins while you're on board. On the Enchantment in April, I booked three cabins for a cruise next year. None of the other people were cruising with me on the Enchantment, but they let me book the three cabins. I paid for the deposit on two of the cabins, and I used my mom's credit card to pay for the deposit on the third cabin. All three cabins got OBC.

I just booked 6 cabins for Dec 09 while onboard Sovereign over labor day. DH and I are in one and family has all the others. We do this all the time so that everyone in the party gets the OBC for booking while onboard.

Is this the best way to book a future cruise? Are there any times during the year that prices go down? We need 2 cabins for memorial Weekend 2009. Just wondering if anyone has strategies for getting a cabin at the lowest rate.

Thanks, joani

Is this the best way to book a future cruise? Are there any times during the year that prices go down? We need 2 cabins for memorial Weekend 2009. Just wondering if anyone has strategies for getting a cabin at the lowest rate.

Thanks, joani

SInce you are booking a holiday sailing, my advice is to book ASAP... traditionally, holidays sell out, meaning less likely for prices to come down! In your case, the earlier you book, the better. Plus if booking with RCCL direct, you can be sure they will honor price drops, just in case! ;)

A~

I booked onboard for 2 cabins in '06, one of the cabins were for my parents who were not onboard at the time. This was on Celebrity Mercury for an RCL cruise.. All went fine. Consultant very helpful, was able to suggest new itineraries (which I booked), including the new ones being offered from Cape Liberty (which I had not known about, and I pore over catalogues and websites ALL THE TIME). She even put us in a "hump" cabin, before I even knew what it was, and she was the one who actually explained to me why hump cabins are preferable.

In 2007 I tried to do 2 cabins again, with my in-laws for cabin 2 and they too were not onboard at the time. This was on Explorer, and the "cruise consultant" was also one of the ice skating performers, which was a little strange to begin with. He told me I couldn't book for someone not on board. I had to cause a fuss and explain how my parents were on this ship with OBC because of the cruise I went on that they were NOT on. He had to make a bunch of phone calls and I had to threaten to cancel the deposit on our cabin before someone he was on the phone with agreed.

I finally got the 2 rooms, but was kind of annoyed that the ice skating guy was a cruise consultant onboard. The whole thing took a lot longer than it needed to and thank God I knew exactly what I wanted to book because this guy did not know anything about itineraries, ship cabins and layouts, etc..

So be prepared and be persistent in case you draw a dud!

I booked onboard for 2 cabins in '06, one of the cabins were for my parents who were not onboard at the time. This was on Celebrity Mercury for an RCL cruise.. All went fine. Consultant very helpful, was able to suggest new itineraries (which I booked), including the new ones being offered from Cape Liberty (which I had not known about, and I pore over catalogues and websites ALL THE TIME). She even put us in a "hump" cabin, before I even knew what it was, and she was the one who actually explained to me why hump cabins are preferable.

In 2007 I tried to do 2 cabins again, with my in-laws for cabin 2 and they too were not onboard at the time. This was on Explorer, and the "cruise consultant" was also one of the ice skating performers, which was a little strange to begin with. He told me I couldn't book for someone not on board. I had to cause a fuss and explain how my parents were on this ship with OBC because of the cruise I went on that they were NOT on. He had to make a bunch of phone calls and I had to threaten to cancel the deposit on our cabin before someone he was on the phone with agreed.

I finally got the 2 rooms, but was kind of annoyed that the ice skating guy was a cruise consultant onboard. The whole thing took a lot longer than it needed to and thank God I knew exactly what I wanted to book because this guy did not know anything about itineraries, ship cabins and layouts, etc..

So be prepared and be persistent in case you draw a dud!

When we sailed on The Rhapsody many years ago, the "cruise consultant" was also the horn player in the main lobby. The full time "future cruise consultant" was on shore for a family emergency... and others were filling in for her. She did eventually join our cruise at one of the ports of call.

A~

Archived