Anyone Snorkel in Alaska?

Cruisin Kay D

Yes, I'm not kidding -- a snorkeling excursion is offered at Ketchikan and at Sitka. At Ketchikan, a wet suit is used and water 65 degr; at Sitka (farther north) a dry suit is used.

Which type suit would you prefer?

Who has done this?

What sort of creatures do you see?

How clear is the water?

It sounds like fun. Is this ocean or fresh water diving? I don't remember the ocean in Alaska being particularly clear... usually cold water has pretty minimal visibility, and that can be a problem when snorkeling. Probably lots of sea life.

I have snorkeled in New England. It's a very different experience from its Caribbean counterpart, but does have its unique charms and challenges.

65 degree water temps? I'm surprised. Is that right at the surface, or at realistic depths? Here in Mass., the upper layer is usually at least ten degrees warmer than "down there" (realistically, summertime temps are mid-50s).

Lastly, how the heck do you use a dry suit snorkeling? Doesn't it have to be connected to tank air? How do they control inflation... via mouth tube? (I'd love to see that!!)

My husband and I snorkeled in Ketchikan (ocean snorkeling) when we cruised there in 2002. It was great fun, though chilly. They put us in 7 mm suits. Keep in mind it won't be the Caribbean - the most colorful things were the starfish (purple and orange). We even saw an eagle "fishing" and then soaring to the treetops. Great experience, how many people can say they snorkeled in Alaska?

Yes, I'm not kidding -- a snorkeling excursion is offered at Ketchikan and at Sitka. At Ketchikan, a wet suit is used and water 65 degr; at Sitka (farther north) a dry suit is used.

Which type suit would you prefer?

I'd prefer a drysuit, but for a one time snorkeling trip, a wetsuit would be tolerable.
Who has done this?
I haven't snorkeled in Alaska, but I have been scuba diving in British Columbia.
What sort of creatures do you see?
Starfish, anemones, fish, crabs, marine invertebrates.
How clear is the water?
Water conditions are variable, but it can be pretty clear.

The few reports I have read about people snorkeling in Alaska in the Alaska section here on CC have been positive.

we were on the celebrity summit and went diving in Sitka. it was okay. we are avid divers ane wanted to say we dove Alaska. we say mainly starfish and Salmon. You can not compare it with other areas of the country. its totally different. the water was not cold. we had semi dry suits and we dove with island fever out of Sitka which we booked through the cruise lines.

we were on the celebrity summit and went diving in Sitka. it was okay. we are avid divers ane wanted to say we dove Alaska. we say mainly starfish and Salmon. You can not compare it with other areas of the country. its totally different. the water was not cold. we had semi dry suits and we dove with island fever out of Sitka which we booked through the cruise lines.

You saw salmon. I'd say you were lucky. That is something I have yet to see while diving in Washington state or British Columbia.

We did this excursion in June 2005 and really enjoyed it. I was freakishly hot on that day (80's). They take you to their barn-like structure where you get changed, then you get back on the bus and head to the coast. Because it was so hot, we were dying in those wetsuits; we practically stormed the beach once the bus stopped!

We saw starfish amongst other things. Was it the greatest snorkeling ever? No. Was it fun? Absolutely.

Plus, there is the added benefit of telling people for the rest of your life that you snorkeled in Alaska (I actually had someone asked if we had to chop through the ice with an ax to get into the water!)!

Haven't dove/snorkeled Alaska but I have shore dived in Maine, Ireland, and Norway, all cold water dives. In cold water I've seen crabs, anenomes, starfish, cold water sponges, fish, clams, etc. Best visibility has been around 30 ft. I'm sure it will be different and I think I'd bring a hooded dive vest just to keep a bit warmer.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Sapphire Princess and went snorkeling in Ketchikan at the end of June. They said it was one of the nicest days they've had there in years. 70s and perfectly sunny. If anything, it felt good to get into the cold water - we were dying in those wet suits before we got in.

Most of what you see are invertabrates. There were literally thousands of jellyfish all around you (99% the very little non-stinging kind and the other 1% were really easy to spot and avoid). Lots of starfish, anemonies, etc.

It was actually lots of fun and very different experience than the carribean. I'd say go for it if you're into snorkeling. Even if you don't get as nice a day, after the initial 20 second shock of cold water - you'll be fine.

Archived