Art Auctions?!

Tera821

I attended an art auction, but certainly didnt bid or anything (as I know next to nothing about art).

However, we sat right infront of a couple who certainly seemed to know their stuff and occasionally they would comment on the low price of a certain piece or the rarity of a piece (they were surprised it would be offered by Carnival) The auctioneer raves about the "great deals" that are offered and always gives an appraisal price and then the starting bid, which was always drastically lower than the appraisal price.

Sorry I couldnt offer more information!

I've been to the art auction a couple of times on different cruises. Once I actually bought something that I really love. I paid $180 for a piece, and a few weeks after returning home recieved the art (in a tube) and the appraisal of the art....$600. So that was a pretty good deal, I thought. Besides it's fun and you get free champagne if you buy or not.

We enjoy them and have purchased several pieces of art and have won a few. When buying art you need buy it because you like it and not for an investment. You need to do your homework first and understand what you are buying. Remember that OFFSET litheographs are nothing more than a poster.

Most works of arts are litheographs or seriographs on paper, few are originals on canvas. The prices are good I think but I buy them for my enjoyment and not for investments.

Most will arrive in a mailing tube unless you have paid for them to frame them. Very few are allowed to be carried off the ship.

They add a 15% service charge plus a mailing fee of usually $35.00.

Archived