Airline charge for carry-on that becomes checked

rich40245

Assume I’m flying on an airline that charges for checked luggage. I check none, and have just one carry-on bag. They way they board passengers, I’m in the last group to board, and all the overhead bins are full. The airline makes be do a ‘gate-check’ of my bag. Will they charge me for checking the bag?

Rich

I highly doubt it, you're not technically "checking" your luggage through to your destination unless you ask for that. In which, in that case the fee would probably occur.

Plus, if the flight attendent saw that there wasn't any more room, she would likely make an exception. (You'd hope.)

AA already confirmed that if passengers' carry-on met the carry-on restriction (weight / dimention / number of pieces) but due to no space at overhead bin, and become gate-checked, the passengers would not be charged.

In fact if you fly American Eagle, you are restricted to ONE piece of carry-on only, incl the personal item due to a recent agreement with FAA. The other piece being gate-checked and not charged.

Archived