I'd like to know what things to bring, tips & tricks...

MamaParrotHead

From those who have cruised with kids. We've only cruised sans kiddos and want to know what to expect, what things to do that may not occur to us and what things to pack that we might not have needed cruising without the kidlets. Kidlets will range from 3-14.

Thanks!

The one thing we do with our kids on any vacation is - if they pack it they carry it. They are now 14 and 11 so they are even responsible for the luggage with all their clothes. I refuse to carry all their stuff when I have my own to carry.

They are also responsible for packing their own clothes. I help with you need x amount of shorts, shirts, etc and I have veto power on their outfits, but they have to pack it themselves. DD (14) is also responsible for all her own toiletries and jewelry.

As for what to take for them on a cruise I can't help with that because this is going to be our first cruise with them. I am taking journals, their own underwater cameras, different color highlighters each and lanyards. We thought about walkie talkies but decided against them. At the older ages I'm not sure there is anything special you need for them. As for the younger ones I can't help with that - maybe just whatever makes it easier at home. i.e sippy cups, a couple special toys, stuffed animal or blankie if they sleep with one.

IMHO it's important to attend the Camp meeting and go to the Camp party in the disco the first night with little ones. It helps them to meet other kids and get comfortable with the counselors while you are with them.

As for what to bring, one of the keys IMHO is to have an excursion bag that really works for you. For the Caribbean, I like a beach bag with a mesh outside pocket for wet things, and with side/end pockets for a bottle of water, and map and essential port info.

I'll admit I'm a bit obsessive in the planning stage, but I like to put together an "excursion list" for port days. We always know what we're going to do in each port (usually Plan A, with a Plan B in the event of dreadful weather). So, while I'm still home, and I can think clearly, I put together a list of what we'll need in each port: camera, sign & sail card, driver's license, money, credit card, sunscreen, water, snacks, underwater camera if our plans call for swimming or snorkeling, etc., etc. That way, the night before a port, I take out my list, check everything off as I pack it in my bag, and I'm all set - and don't have to worry about forgetting something.

HTH, and have a great cruise!:)

Binoculars, Bandaids, Sunscreen, Snacks, Juice boxes, Not too many toys, Give them a set amount for toys to buy (he earns the money for about 6 months leading up to the cruise/WDW/Disneyland), Water bottle with a carrier, Hat or visor, Water shoes, Floating rings, Water googles, Underwater camera

GameBoy & DVD for car or airplane, car/booster seat if renting a car at ports (check with the rental agency first)

for the small children pack some small bottles of bubbles for the down time, cheep Wal-mart stroller with a basket, Climbing clips that will clip to stroller handle for hanging things

if flying...take uncrustables in the 3-1-1 bags, and a bag of peanuts with raisins, don't do a lot of sugar snacks or soda. Small travel games, CARES seat belt for small children, works really well

My oldest is 5, so I can't help with the older ones, but for the three year old -

Don't go crazy bringing things from home - we looked at all the stuff we brought last time and laughed (and I've been on at least 4 cruises with kids, I should know better). Next time (aside from plane ride entertainment) it will be one or two books for bedtime and a favorite stuffed animal. That's it.

Also, it adds a lot of peace of mind in the dining room for the littlest ones to drink out of sippy cups. Even if they are proficient at open cups - it's just an accident waiting to happen.

Because we travel in the winter/spring break times when we our skin is at its pastiest, I like to bring a "swimming T-shirt" that I can put on the kids after an hour or so in the sun just to protect their shoulders a bit more.

Aloe (in case someone gets sunburned), googles for the pool(my 3 DD's hate the salt water pools) and OTC meds in case someone feels ill- Tylenol, cough medicine, itch cream, etc. I just put it all in a small ziploc bag. I agree that you should not overdue the toys/books. I limit them to 3 things each which all must fit in 1 backpack and we never even open it! I also give them each a disposable camera so they can take pictures of what interests them.

Great ideas! Thanks for the tips!

I also suggest pedialite. We have not cruised yet with our son but I would rather have it and not need it.

When we travel, I find it convient to pack DS clothes in individual large ziplock bags. Then as I need them I can just grab a bag and go. Plus they seem to take up less space.

One of my friends but together a cute little book of pictures of the ship they were going on for their 3 yr old. She got pics off of the internet from pass pax. There were pictures of the ship, cabin, pool, dining room(to intro the idea of table manners. waiting turns etc). It looked really cute.

Enjoy the cruise!

I've been cruising with my 13 yr DS since he was very small. I would bring for the little kids their special blanket or toy if they have one. A deck of playing cards always kept my DS happy.

We never travel without walkie-talkies. When he was little the DS loved the "Kids Clubs". When he was 9 he refused to go, and has never been back to one again (that's just him). Thank goodness we had walkie-talkies with us. He goes to the game arcade and makes friends right away when we get onboard the ship (last time it took him only 20 min from the time we got onboard to make a new friend). He checks in with us several times a day (I'm talking about AT SEA days - ports he's always with us at all times) to let us know where he is and what he's doing. He loves the freedom and follows rules very well. Dinner together as a family is a must and is not negotiable!:D

If you plan to snorkle, bring your own mouthpieces for the family. That's the one thing we always bring with us. The fins and the masks we don't care so much about, and most tours, either on or off the ship, provide them, plus they take up too much room in our suitcases.

Suntan lotion, Neosporin, bandaids, Pepto Bismol, Children's Tylenol (I have used all this stuff at one time or another on all our cruises). If your kids have a tendency towards motion sickness, get some ginger gum. They look just like "Chicklettes" and really work. They are not medicine so its great for children. I just bought two boxes for our cruise to Alaska in July. "Rite-Aid" carrys it. The brand name is "Sea Bands". Sea Bands are also good for motion sickness and are not medicinal.

I hope you and your family have a really great cruise!:D Great moms are the ones that think ahead to their childrens' happiness and comfort. You are obviously one of them!:D

Wow. Thanks again for all the insight. I've travelled a lot with and without my kids, but this trip is going to be a BIG one, I'm hoping to plan far ahead and well. We're doing so much all ready in preparation...buying clothes (ahead some sizes trying to guess...but have gotten some good deals), saving our pennies (literally), picked up some snorkel gear for them--Dh and I LOVE it (we're hoping to practice with them in the pool this summer and next).

Archived