Binoculars for Canada and cruise

We need to buy some new binoculars and have been advised to buy ones with roof prisms, waterproof and fogproof. Should we look in uk or will prices be more reasonable in AB or BC. We are arriving in Calgary on 13th July then onto Banff,Jasper,Kamloops,Whistler,Victoria then Vancouver before picking our B2B cruise up. Is there anywhere to purchase a pair without paying$$$$$ or should we get them here and at least we have got them?

Hello Grannybee

Without knowing exactly which make/model of binocular you're going for, I can only offer broad advice. In general (I just checked a couple of sites), in any decent store in the US/Canada, you should be able to get good binoculars for the same amount of dollars as you'd have to pay in pounds over here. I checked a pair of Pentax DCF MCII 10x25 - £119 in the UK, $111 in the US.

It's the same for photographic equipment too.....

HTH

Tim

We have a chain of large drug store (chemists) no not Boots, but London Drugs here is western Canada. In these stores they have large camera departments which carry binoculars and people in places like Australia and Britain have posted how pleased they were with them and their prices on binoculars. Because you are landing in Calgary I would suggest that you purchase them there as the province of Alberta does not have a sales tax (they have oil) and here in BC we do. If not then they have several stores in downtown Vancouver. Here is a link:

www.londondrugs.com/

The link in the above post may not work, try this one.

Thanks for the link. Do you know if any of the stores are on the way to Banff. We do not mind a slight detour but do not want to get lost in Calgary on what will be the last day of the Calgary stampede.

The link in the above post may not work, try this one.

Hi Putterdude

looked on google and I think the last one on Country Hills Blvd NW looks like the one to call at. Have printed directions so this navigator doesn't take DH on wrong road at the end of a long flight!

If you do miss it then I would wait until you get to downtown Vancouver, their flagship store is at Georgia & Granville right across the street from the Hudsons Bay department store and they have a large photo department on the lower floor with some very knowledgeable staff.

GrannyBee, if you DO get to London Drugs in Calgary, they will have a great selection of toiletries, so you may not need to go to Superstore at all. Or you can check Superstore for binocs while you are toiletry shopping.

Hope you have a blast in Canada, AND Alasaka!!

Thanks Putterdude

We are in Le Soleil Hotel in Vancouver so we will find the store quite easily. It will give me an excuse to window shop along the way.

No No, get in those shops and buy, we need the money!;)

No No, get in those shops and buy, we need the money!;)

Don't worry...my DH saysI have a masters degree in retail shopping. I have to leave a few kilos free in my luggage...for all my new goodies.

It sounds as if Alberta will get a slice of my dollars as they have no sales tax.

GrannyBee, if you DO get to London Drugs in Calgary, they will have a great selection of toiletries, so you may not need to go to Superstore at all. Or you can check Superstore for binocs while you are toiletry shopping.

Hope you have a blast in Canada, AND Alasaka!!

Which one would be the easiest to get to?

If you choose London Drugs, you will need to backtrack from it a couple of blocks to get to Stoney Trail (hwy 201) to go south to TransCanada Hwy (Hwy 1). No big deal, really. If I recall correctly I gave you directions to the easiest way thru Calgary to get to TransCanada, didn't I? Google "London Drugs NW Calgary" and you'll get a map. It is very easy to get to London Drugs, then when you are done, and ready to head to Banff, turn left out of the parking lot onto Country Hills Blvd, then turn right on Stoney Trail/201.

I'd go to London Drugs if the tiny "detour" doesn't bother you :) It's quieter, the prices are pretty good, the selection is good, and the store is easy to navigate. Also, WAY fewer people in LD, as opposed to Superstore.

Also, please be aware when you are on TransCanada (Hwy 1), that it can be very windy after you go past the Hwy 40 overpass, all the way till you get to a town called Canmore. Gusty cross winds, sometimes, so often I need to slow somewhat going through that area. Especially on the twisty bits where they recommended speed is 95 km/hr -- DO slow to that speed for those bits.

Thanks CowPrincess

I really appreciate the insider Knowledge and the advice about the wind conditions on the road. I have always been told that Canadians are extremely friendly and these boards prove it. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful country.Just over 2 weeks and we will be there!!!!!

I have always been told that Canadians are extremely friendly and these boards prove it. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful country.Just over 2 weeks and we will be there!!!!!

We will leave the porch light on for you.:)

Archived