Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay?

1951Mom

Hello,

We are first time cruisers and this will be our first trip to Alaska. Based on time available we are looking at two cruises... the main difference in itinerary is one goes to Hubbard Glacier and one goes to Glacier Bay. Is there a preference? Or would both be equal in experience?

Thank you!

I chose Glacier Bay itinerary, because you will see many glaciers, where I think Hubbard is just one massive glacier. Plus cruising Glacier Bay you have the scenery of the bay all day sailing. It was so pristine and beautiful the day we were there, we had rain just about every other day of our cruise, but the sun dawned beautiful for day at Glacier Bay.

I haven't seen Hubbard, so will have to leave that to others to explain.

We were at Hubbard last week. Our first time to Alaska- so I can't compare. We thought Hubbard was amazing. We started seeing large chunks of ice float by around 7:30 AM- well before we could see the glacier. We got to within 1/2 mile of the glacier itself. We got up next to it around 10:30 and were leaving the glacier by noon. You could see the glacier and all of the slushy ice in the water by 9:00 or so.

It sounds like Glacier Bay will be a longer time near glaciers.

-JC in CA

I have seen both. I would have to say Glacier Bay was more impressive because we passed a couple other glaciers along the way and our ship got close enough to the glacier to see & hear the calving.

Last week at Hubbard Glacier we couldn't get that close because there was too much ice. Though, that glacier looked larger than the ones we saw in Glacier Bay. Had we gotten as close, I'm sure it would have been just as spectacular, maybe even more.

And as the previous posters have said, you get to see the beautiful scenery for a longer time while cruising Glacier Bay.

We chose Glacier Bay for our recent cruise. You are in breathtaking scenery for hours!!! We were able to witness a major calving which was so impressive. I spoke with a Tour director on our ship who has been to both. He said that Hubbard is a very large glacier, so from a Glacier standpoint, it is the most impressive. However, Glacier Bay is a total experience!! We were thrilled with what we saw and so was everyone else we spoke with.

Having been to both, I prefer Hubbard both because of the size, and the high level of calving we've seen on both visits. Glacier Bay is impressive, no question about that, but so is the entire coast, and the glaciers at GB are just not that impressive once you've seen Hubbard.

Murray

I have also been to both and Yukon said it best. Hubbard Glacier has the WOW factor because of the height and the length of it. People are correct in that the first few months of the season there is apossibility that you cannot near the glacier because of the ice. Now I have seen Hubbard 3 times, the 1st in July,2nd, the end of May and the last one first part of may. The end of May we got in right away but the 1st part of may could not. You just do not know.

Now as for Glacier Bay the beauty is outstanding, you see more glaciers and you are in the bay a good part of the day. It is spectacular and it is a national park. So only you can really make the decision. I have seen calving on both glacier areas so and then on the other hand at Hubbard we wre there one of the times and did not even see a ice cube drop. So you just do not know.

Marilyn

Archived