The Office Bar - Icy Strait Point

annimal

I've heard a lot of folks rave about eating dungeness crab at The Office Bar by Icy Strait Point. Can someone tell me how to get there from the ship dock? Is it okay to bring along an infant for a meal there? I know it's technically a bar, not a restaurant...

We walked by it last week on our walk to Hoonah. When you get in to Icy Strait - follow the signs to the trail to Hoonah- it runs along the side of the road. The Office Bar is on the water side of the road just outside the town of Hoonah. I would say about a 1 mile walk- flat ground.

Didn't go in- so can't say how kid friendly it was.

Crab season started at midnight of the night we were in port- we were too early by 1 day!

-JC in CA

We loved the Office Bar! We were there a couple of weeks ago, so no crab! But we did eat lunch there, pizza and our teenagers had sandwiches. The food is just OK, but that's not why you go. The people are great and good Alaskan beer on tap. The owners are Jim and Mary and they are really nice people. We only wish we could have been there during crab season.

My husband got the first crab of the season there last week...or so they told him. They steam the crabs outside under a tent. He said he got a huge 3-pound crab for around $18. He loved the place. Here is their my space page. My husband is the one holding the beer standing beside the music player they call the hobbit.

http://www.myspace.com/office_bar

We went to The Office Bar last week. We got the first crab of the season and it was great. The crab cost 18 dollars and it was very good. It is more of a little restaurant than a bar. The people that work there are very nice. There were kids in there and we took our teenager so don't worry about taking kids. The walk into town is about a mile. It is true Alaska, not all the tourist shops there. There were locals standing around and were very nice to talk to. I really liked this place. Have a fantastic trip! I am already jealous of people going and I just got back last Friday!

Brenda

Thanks everyone! One last question, are there mosquitos on the walk to The Office Bar / Hoonah? I thought I read somewhere about this and just want to be prepared as I am allergic to mosquito bites. We'll be there the 2nd week of September.

We were there on June 25. If you don't want to walk the approximately one mile walk along the shore, you can also take a shuttle into town. It cost $5 per person and the buses run every 10 minutes or so. We took the shuttle and the bus went right by the Office. We exited the bus on the second stop and then had a 2 block walk to the Office. We had some great beer and had the most wonderful crab in our lives! It was served with homemade potato salad (yummy) or clam chowder for $18. It also was served with melted butter but the crab was so sweet you didn't need it. The atmosphere was great and I wouldn't be afraid to take an child there. I bought a cute hoody sweatshirt for $30 and they also had t-shirts reasonably priced. The staff there were very friendly. Don't miss it!

We were there on June 25. If you don't want to walk the approximately one mile walk along the shore, you can also take a shuttle into town. It cost $5 per person and the buses run every 10 minutes or so. We took the shuttle and the bus went right by the Office. We exited the bus on the second stop and then had a 2 block walk to the Office. We had some great beer and had the most wonderful crab in our lives! It was served with homemade potato salad (yummy) or clam chowder for $18. It also was served with melted butter but the crab was so sweet you didn't need it. The atmosphere was great and I wouldn't be afraid to take an child there. I bought a cute hoody sweatshirt for $30 and they also had t-shirts reasonably priced. The staff there were very friendly. Don't miss it!

Thanks, appreciate the information about the T's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wait!! How do we find out when crab season starts and ends?! I was so looking forward to eating at The Office Bar, but I'm not sure it will be serving crab when we are there. We'll be in ISP on June 16, 2009!!! Boo hoo.

Hi Brandee,

Marjorie at FISHES told me it starts June 15th.

Bruce

Archived