River fishing in Alaska

eaglewingks

We will be in Alaska on the July 30 Carnival Spirit cruise. My dad would love to go Salmon fishing but, does not really want to go on a boat. My father is an experienced fisherman and wants to actually do the fishing himself(have read that on the boat they do most of it for you).

Is it possible to Salmon fish from the shore at a lake or river?

Are there tours of this sort that rent the equipment?

Which port is best for this type of fishing: Ketchikan, Juneau,Skagway or Sitka?

Thank you for any suggestions

The men in my family go fishing in Juneau. They are taken from the ship to a plane and flown and land in a remote area and I think it is fly fishing that they do. They have done the same one twice because they love it and are doing it again in August. It is a little over $400 pp and they supply you with everything and you wear wadders? and stand in the water and fish. While fishing they have seen whales, eagles and seals. The pilot drops you off with a very small group and leaves you and then picks you up later. There are two guides with you and they carry rifles in case of bear problems. I think it was Bear Creek Outfitters and they were great. Like I said they loved it and had the time of their life. Good Luck!

Archived