Valor Kareoke

Santyclaws

How is kareoke on the Valor? Does it have the same short list of songs......or do they update and have newer songs too?

Just wondering.........I've never done kareoke on a ship before.

A cruise ship is the perfect place to "break in" to karaoke. You will never see these people again.

There is a large selection of songs...when you see the thick book...you will say WOW. BUT that is misleading...because "someone" (translation: me) who has a very limited range ... can't just do any vocalist. For example: They may have 50 Elvis songs...but I can't sing Elvis. They may have

25 Faith Hill songs...but I can only do one of her songs...and they may not have that one.

One tip...they do have pitch control that changes the key up or down as needed. Singing a song in the correct key is 80% of the battle. A lot of people who don't think they can sing have basically been trying to sing it in the wrong key all these years.

No one is going to boo...everyone will clap..even if someone is horrific...because it is all about having a good time and that is all that matters.

Thanks LHP, I do enjoy kareoke here, I just don't know what it's like on the ship. I wondered if they had up to date songs, or are they the same old "celebration, I Love Rock and Roll, etc. kind of songs.:confused:

I don't know how current the songbooks are, but they did have a wide variety when I was on the Valor 3 weeks ago - so I'm sure you'll find something you can sing. On certain nights they do run karaoke out in the main pool area where they broadcast the video on their huge video screen and the night loungers can sing along. The other nights - it's held in one of the lounges.

Everyone will applaud the effort (and believe me - we had some very bad, drunken singers) - so no worries. If anything, choose a "popular" song that many can sing along to. Those usually generate the best response.

Thanks LHP, I do enjoy kareoke here, I just don't know what it's like on the ship. I wondered if they had up to date songs, or are they the same old "celebration, I Love Rock and Roll, etc. kind of songs.:confused:

How "updated" the songs are depends on how dedicated the current karaoke host is. Some are better than others...but all do a good job.

In all our years of doing karaoke on a cruise ship....I have only run across one that really did not give anything extra at all. You could tell she is was just waiting for a Social Host position to open up.

I agree, a cruise is the best place to break out your karaoke chops. Everyone is so encouraging and will clap no matter what. :)

I did karaoke on the Valor last December and the song book was huge. There are a lot of multiple songs by the same artists, but it's still a bunch to choose from. It was hard for us to decide what we were going to do since we were trying to find a good group song. Our whole table sang and it was a blast. We did "Love Shack" by the B-52s.

Guest carlogesualdo

I suffer from terrible stage fright, which is a bad thing when you're a musician. I try to take every chance I get to perform in order to get over myself. They canceled the talent show on my last cruise, so I decided to do Karaoke instead. It wasn't exactly playing the trumpet, but it was something to get me out in front of people. And yes, I can sing without embarrassing myself. In fact, after watching everyone go before me, I was actually feeling pretty confident. It was like watching the rejects on America's Got Talent. But everyone cheered and clapped like they were Madonna and Elvis. That's absolutely true.

Anyway, the host let me know I was next up, after this tall, Jim Carey-lookin' dude took the floor for his song. Alrighty. No problem. Until the music started. The theme from Flashdance. Oh yeah. He took it all the way. We were all ROTFL. Then wooden me. We went for a soak in the hot tub after that. And yet some kid recognized me in the hot tub and complimented me on my singing anyway.

So...karaoke. Yeah.

Archived