Tipping for scuba excursions

monsoon20009

I just got my open water certification and will be going on my first dives next month. What's a standard tip for the excursion operator? For snorkeling trips in the past we've tipped $5-10, and we're wondering what the standard is for scuba trips. Thanks.

I just got my open water certification and will be going on my first dives next month. What's a standard tip for the excursion operator? For snorkeling trips in the past we've tipped $5-10, and we're wondering what the standard is for scuba trips. Thanks.

It really depends on the type of operation and how they take care of you. The one boat I mainly go on has the Captain, (2) DM's and a cook. I usually tip about $25-$30. Depends on how they've taken care of me. But on the average, it's about $20 per dive that I've seen. I may be undertipping. We'll see the rest of the responses. :p

Many people tip $5 per tank to the Dive Master plus about half that amount to the boat captain. This would vary depending on the service you recieve but is a good place to start.

So, for a 2 tank dive day trip you would tip $10 plus $5.

For a live-aboard trip, tip based on the cost of the trip - 10-15% depending on service.

well 15% would be a normal tip if you went to dinner so I fugure at min 15% so on a cruise 2 tank dive was about $100 Then a $15-$20 is reasonable in St Lucia I didn't tip because the "gourmet lunch" wasn't that good and they did have anyplace to rinse gear when we got finished and when your schleping your gear acroos a beach it gets full of sand. I tip beacuse of good service not just because they showed up.

Of course it depends on quality of service you received, but the typical tip for a 2 tank dive trip in the Caribbean is $10. The DM and the boat captain typically split the tip.

I may add that you can ask if US currency is ok for a tip or if the prefer you put it on your bill if you paying via credit card the latter isn't an option of you dive through the ships excrusion but in most cases US curency should be OK

Depending on the service I receive, I tip 10% of the cost of the dive with $10 being the minimum. If service is better, I will tip a bit more. In the Caribbean USA dollars are generally accepted and desired. Other parts of the world want tips in their currency. I always add it onto my credit card payment at the end of the trip on liveaboards and tip at least 10% of the total trip cost.

This is a frequent topic on ScubaBoard.com. Hardly anyone other than Americans tip, but as a general rule I tip the same as for restaurant service -- around 20% for quality service. If I am on a two tank dive that costs $120, this is $20-25 into the boat's tip jar. It would be different on a live-a-board.

Archived