Mosquitos

New KAJO

Hi guys,

I guess this topic has allready been covered several times in the past but I have to confirm an option I have taken on a cruise, and I do not have enough time took search.

Are the mosquitos really a problem in Alaska. We will be travelling the 2 last weeks of august.

Thanks,

Kajo

Shouldn't be a big problem. I did my 11 day cruisetour from 18-28 Aug '07 and we saw only 3 mosquitos the whole time we were there. I chose August because other posters on the boards said it was the best time for "no bugs". Then August of '06 was really wet, mudslides, cancelled tours and rain, rain, rain. I really sweated the choice I had made, but it was great. We did have a little rain, but always seemed to be when we were on the bus or at the hotel. Juneau was the only place it rained all day while we were in port. Be prepared for wet and you will have a great time.

Can someone suggest a bug spray they like that smells decent, and doesn't leave a thick coat of sticky gook on your skin....like the cutter does? I want to be prepared. Nothing worse than getting eaten alive by mosquitoes!

AND....what do you all use once your bitten to stop the itching?

Lisa

Hi guys,

I guess this topic has allready been covered several times in the past but I have to confirm an option I have taken on a cruise, and I do not have enough time took search.

Are the mosquitos really a problem in Alaska. We will be travelling the 2 last weeks of august.

Thanks,

Kajo

just got back (see my post- roll call-princess-golden-6/14) and we saw no mosquitoes. Don't know if that will be a problem later in the season with all the melt, but we did not have any problem, and I had heard of it being an issue to.....?:confused:

Can someone suggest a bug spray they like that smells decent, and doesn't leave a thick coat of sticky gook on your skin....like the cutter does? I want to be prepared. Nothing worse than getting eaten alive by mosquitoes!

AND....what do you all use once your bitten to stop the itching?

Lisa

Avon Skin So Soft is supposed to work, but I got the Off wipes as well. I have heard mosquitos are big and plentiful. I also use Calydryl which seems to work good. Used it for chicken pox on my kids and seems to work on my bites as well. Just a dab on each bite.

Have fun. We are due to cruise next week getting excited.

Just got back from June 10-16 land, Fairbanks, Denali then June 16-23 Coral Princess. Saw a few mosquitos in Fairbanks, used off, no bites. Didn't see any mosquitos anywhere else. The mosquitos love me, but I came home without a bite. Home for two days got several bites in my own backyard.

I wouldn't worry, but would bring a small bottle of repellent for insurance. I understand if going to Wonder Lake that's the place for concern.

Until yesterday, I hadn't even used repellent this summer. Yesterday, just needed a little...today, it got sprayed all over. You just never know. Even from our front yard (where I was working) to the back yard, where hubby was working, was a big difference. More of a breeze, and fewer bushes in the back yard.

Archived