Need a travel agent's advice re buying upgrade

flashdog_1

Here's my deal. I bought an early bird fare of $549 for the lowest category inside K on Dawn Jan 24, 2009. Fare was before fuel surcharge Nov 30th. Very small OBC $25.

Then as I started realizing how small a K cabin is (142 sq ft) I saw that an ocean view is 162 sq ft and decided to inquire about the difference in fare. Right now the insides are going for $579 ($30 more than my early fare). Ocean views are all $679. So I picked a cabin and told my travel agent to see if it could be obtained for the difference in what I'd paid and today's rate ($130 pp) and if I'd keep my no fuel surcharge and OBC (actually today's fare says $50 OBC for insides and ocean views I think).

First she replied that the difference would be $200. I said no thanks. Then she said she'd made an arithmetic error and I was correct that the difference would be $130, so I told her a cabin #.

today she emailed me back and said the cruise line had changed fares today and that the fare was now $679, sorry for the inconvenience. Duh. That's the same it was yesterday.

I've checked NCL.com & all the travel sites and everyone is showing the same fare good until July 2. No where does it say for new bookings only.

What's the problem? What am I not "getting"? Thanks

Here's my deal. I bought an early bird fare of $549 for the lowest category inside K on Dawn Jan 24, 2009. Fare was before fuel surcharge Nov 30th. Very small OBC $25.

Then as I started realizing how small a K cabin is (142 sq ft) I saw that an ocean view is 162 sq ft and decided to inquire about the difference in fare. Right now the insides are going for $579 ($30 more than my early fare). Ocean views are all $679. So I picked a cabin and told my travel agent to see if it could be obtained for the difference in what I'd paid and today's rate ($130 pp) and if I'd keep my no fuel surcharge and OBC (actually today's fare says $50 OBC for insides and ocean views I think).

First she replied that the difference would be $200. I said no thanks. Then she said she'd made an arithmetic error and I was correct that the difference would be $130, so I told her a cabin #.

today she emailed me back and said the cruise line had changed fares today and that the fare was now $679, sorry for the inconvenience. Duh. That's the same it was yesterday.

I've checked NCL.com & all the travel sites and everyone is showing the same fare good until July 2. No where does it say for new bookings only.

What's the problem? What am I not "getting"? Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking...OV's are 679 (not including taxes, etc.) total with everything will be 833.22. If you change your reservation the fuel surcharge will be added on.

Thanks. I think I see what she meant with her first response which was $200 additional. That would be the $130 plus the fuel surcharge I think. She did NOT address whether I'd keep the no fuel charge supplement and OBC.

You were absolutely correct. I'd have to pay $211 more to get the upgrade. Here's what the TA said when I asked again:

The cost for the cruise and port for a category C is $679, but the cruise line advised if you upgrade to this current promotion your reservation will be subject to the current fuel cost of $77 per person .You are currently paying $622.05 per person if you upgrade to the category C the new cost would be $833.26 per person. I am sorry for the inconvenience but the cruise line advised that since this is a specific promotion the reservation will be subject to the fuel cost.

Archived