Immunizations

mfdds

I have been getting mixed advice about receiving vaccinations before a Baltic cruise. I've heard the DPT shot is advisable. I couldn't find anything specific at the CDC site. Does anyone have any info?

This was discussed a few months ago, and I think the general consesus was if you feel more comfortable getting any recommended shots, go ahead and get them, but they really are not needed. All the cities are modern and safe.

Maybe someone who has already been can say if they got shots beforehand or not.

We had a heated discussion on this months ago...

what it boils down to is...

there is fine line between required and recommended

it depends on what your doctor suggests regarding your health.

My health care provider which is Kaiser of Northern California said to us they wanted (the term they used was required) us to have a variety of shots.

I should also note that Kaiser tends to be extremely proactive in preventive issues...and always leans towards being more cautious.

some shots we already had...

tetanus updated, hep a and b along with the booster, and typhoid

we will also advised against eating raw fruit and vegetables, water from sealed bottles only, no ice

not every port you should be concerned about and others you should.

We inquired and found that nothing was "required". We did ask our GP for Rx for cipro to fight off the norovirus. No breakout on our cruise (May 5th), but we heard there was a breakout on cruises after ours.

We were only hit with a cough that was going around London. My husband got it as did several others with whom we shared private excursions. Lasted over 3 weeks and cipro was the prescribed med for the cough.

My GP told me to contact MASTA (Managing your health abroad) to discuss immunizations for our Baltic cruise. I gave them the destinations and received a detailed "print out" the next day with : Hepatitis A, Typhoid Fever, Tetanus & Diphtheria being the "recommended" immunizations. They also provided a lot of helpful information. They are a UK organization on http://www.masta.org

I have been getting mixed advice about receiving vaccinations before a Baltic cruise. I've heard the DPT shot is advisable. I couldn't find anything specific at the CDC site. Does anyone have any info?
The CDC site is quite clear on DTP. Recommended adult vaccinations are here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/adult/07-08/adult-schedule-11x17.pdf

A tetanus and diptheria booster is recommended every 10 years. See the chart for other recommendations.

More information is here:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentVaccinations.aspx

Yellow fever and hadj do not apply to a Baltic cruise, but I'll quote it anyway from the above link just to the only requirements (the links below won't work, go to the above link for more).

"Required Vaccinations

"The only vaccine required by International Health Regulations is yellow fever vaccination for travel to certain countries in sub-Saharan Africa and tropical South America. Meningococcal vaccination is required by the government of Saudi Arabia for annual travel during the Hajj.

Yellow Fever

"Use the Health Information for International Travel information below to determine if you will need a yellow fever certificate, and find a clinic that can give the vaccination and issue the certificate.

"Meningococcal Meningitis

See Saudi Arabia Hajj Requirements, and Meningococcal Disease in Health Information for International Travel."

The CDC also recommends that you visit your doctor 4-6 weeks before travel. vaccination advice may vary if your "doctor" is a chiropractor, acupuncturist, or aromatherapist.

Archived