Traditional Dining or Flexible Dining???

Catrin

Would you opt for the new flexible seating at dinner?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Would you opt for the new flexible seating at dinner?

• I would choose Traditional Seating
    • I would choose Flexible Seating

We really enjoy flexible dining. After ten cruises with traditional dining, it was a real treat to dine when we wanted to and not inconveniencing anyone else by having them wait for our arrival in the main dining room. It's a pain to have to tell the Maitre'd or your waiter that you will not be dining in the traditional dining room that evening or the next evening. It's nice to be able to decide whether to eat in the buffet or the dining room or have room service late in the day. When we had a table and waitstaff we really liked, we were able to make a reservation for that table at a certain time if it were not already booked. We never had to wait more than ten minutes for a table for two at any time, and only twice on a fifteen day cruise and once on a ten day cruise. Flexible dining gave us a tremendous feeling of freedom! We ate when we felt like it, chose a large table or a table for two depending on our mood. One still dressed for dinner according to whatever dress code was in effect that evening, and the only thing really different, other than set time and tablemates, was that more people arrived and departed to/from different tables at different times during your meal.............more like a regular restaurant at home. Most people seated together had arrived around the same time so that your particular table was not disrupted by arrivals and departures, and we all ate together as if it were a traditional table.

This is our first cruise on Carnival, so it will be different going back to traditional............guess we'll re-evaluate and see if our opinion has changed after our cruise.

I would find that intolerable. If I had to wait TWO minutes once or twice, I would be annoyed. I tend to avoid the buffet altogether because I don't like waiting. Not having to wait for tables is a prime reason why I like the cruise experience!

Now, I have no problem with them offering both traditional and anytime dining. However, I would hope that they could tell you upon booking or at least by final payment if your request can be granted (as long as it's first-come-first-served, as it SHOULD be, they should be able to do so). That way, if you are going to be stuck with an unacceptable dining choice, you are free to cancel...

One of the reasons I like fixed dining is because we generally travel with friends and family. No having to discuss what time and where we want to eat. No one feels slighted because they wanted to eat at 8 and the rest of the group chose 7. It is what it is and no one ever complains. I love it.

I experienced the anytime dining on my NCL cruise. I loved going to eat whenever I wanted. We travelled with extended family. Some nights we all ate together and sometimes we did our own thing. I like that we had that flexibility but I felt the service suffered. I don't know if it's because the service isn't as good overall on that cruise line or if it was that the waiters just didn't care because there was no chance of getting an extra tip at the end of the cruise as the tips were all paid ahead. On my other cruises we always tipped extra above the recommended amount because the service was so fantastic. We never had the same waiter twice on the NCL cruise.

Since We tried Flexible dining on Princess, We are spoiled. We were able to go to dinner when We chose and We were also able to get a Table for 2 if We wanted one and a few nights would meet new found friends for dinner. There was no rushing to get ready for a certain time to have dinner in the Dining Room. We were also able to reserve a certain table and wait staff and time every night, if We wanted too. You should try it, You may like it.

We prefer traditional dining. Like so many others have said, we enjoy meeting new people and really getting to know them during the course of the cruise.

Are some of the people quirky? Sure! But that's what makes them memorable!

D.

I agree, besides who is to judge quirkiness anyway? Judgemental people can be a real piece of work themselves. :eek:

We were on the Valor last month; early seating in the Washington dining room. At our table for 12, the maximum number of people at our table on any given night was four. The table for six to our right was always empty. The table for 8 on the other side had 3 people every night. Very few tables were 100% occupied. On the other hand, on the nights we ate on the Lido Deck, it was packed! I truly think the writing's on the wall...

Much as the traditionalists love their "traditional" dining, there are many, many more who couldn't care less. My brother has been on many more cruises than I can count, and has never set foot in the dining room. My husband and I travel to explore and see new things, and when we cruise, we get back on the ship hot, tired, sweaty, dirty, etc.; the last thing I want to do is have to get prettied up for dinner! Bravo to those of you who love it, but the whole food/dining thing is a non-issue to a lot of us.

I've done several cruises on CCL with traditional dining and one cruise on NCL with their flexible "freestyle" dining. I preferred the flexible option. There were times where we felt like eating earlier and other times later. Sometimes, very late and also different restaurants depending on our whims. The flexible dining gave us a lot more in terms of options.

True, you lose out on getting to know tablemates, but I'd definitely prefer a flexible dining option.

Archived