HAL Newbie

marial

Hi everyone

I just booked my first cruise on HAL. This will be our 11th cruise, but we mainly have cruised with Princess, with a couple of RCCL, and a NCL in our past. I have been hesitant to try HAL, but really liked the 10 Day Sea of Cortez Itinerary, so took the plunge..I am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised.

Our TA signed us up for "As you wish dining". I really liked this on Princess, but hated this on NCL due to the lines of people waiting for tables, etc..

Would love to hear anyones personal experience with this on the Ryndam.

Just wondering if I should check into traditional or go on the waitlist if unavailable..

Also, if anyone has any experience with the kids club for a 12 year old, I would welcome your comments.

Lastly, are the pools fresh water or salt water?

Thanks

Can't comment on open dining as this is new.

However, I can say that the kids club is great.

HAL typically does not have a lot of kids on the ships, so they are small groups and tend to have a say in the activities they want to do.

I really like HAL, it is at the top of my list

I think you'll love it - HAL is so relaxing and understated! Was just watching something on the Travel Channel about RCI's largest ship on the sea, and I'll tell you what, it wouldn't be for me - way too big!!! HAL is not too big, not too small, but JUST RIGHT! Sailed on the Oosterdam Alaska on May 31st, and there were tons of kids - they were on a scavenger hunt a couple of evenings, and they sure did look like they were having fun! I've heard from others that the Kid's Club is really nice and they offer a variety of activities - all at the group's choosing. I'm sure your child will have a great time!

As You Wish dining worked perfectly for us. Never made reservations with a group of 6 and we always got in whenever we showed up - within a matter of minutes. We ate most of our meals in the Lido though - they have a table service there as well - you get in line, order your meal, then go sit down, they bring it to you. You get your own appetizers/salads/or desserts, but the rest is taken care of.

The HAL staff is the best on the seven seas - I'll vouch for that! Always smiling, always helpful. You really can't go wrong!!! And the beds??? Oh my goodness, prepare yourself for the best sleep of your life! Take it from this menopausal 50 year old who rarely gets 5 hours a night at home - I slept like a baby on both my HAL cruises. Best vacations we ever took!

So enjoy, relax, don't worry, be happy:) ! Welcome to the wonderful world of HAL!

There's two "sticky" threads at the top of the forum home page that deal with the AYWD. One of them is approaching 1,500 responses. I haven't read either of them in a while, but I'm sure you will hear a lot of opinions there, maybe some specific to the Ryndam.

On some HAL ships the aft (outdoor) pool is salt water, but the Lido pool is always desalinated/fresh water.

Welcome to HAL. I think you'll never leave! :)

I've cruised with six different cruise lines. HAL have the best beds. After busy days trying pack a lot into each minute, I really appreciate those beds.

There are fewer and quieter announcements on HAL. There is a bigger variety of age groups on HAL than I expected.

You are going to have a wonderful time cruising with HAL.

Archived