Life vests when tendered

gkrnjlr

When the ship is tendered in port (my understanding is we have 2 or 3 ports that we'll tender in).....when we take the ferry (?) to the island.....do they have life vests for everyone to wear or at least the children?

Thanks!

I have seen containers on the tenders that designate where the life vests are. I have never seen staff offer the vests to adults or children nor have I ever seen anyone wear them over to the island.

If it makes you more comfortable for you or for the children ask the staff for them. They should not be hard to get.

Good luck and have a great time.

I've never seen the emergency life vests used for ordinary transport - I would bet that they're not allowed to be accessed except for emergencies. They really aren't necessary, but if you won't feel comfortable without them, you'll most likely need to bring your own from home.

Best,

Mia

Thanks everyone!

I was just picturing the same rackety old falling apart boats that we rode on in Nassau for one of the rides across the water! It was horrible!

You mean the Nassau water taxi???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL!!!!!

It was the ONLY boat in my life where I calculated how far we were from shore and if I could swim it holding 2 children! LOL!!!!!

We sat by the engine, which smoked and sputtered. It was packed full, standing room only of people...clearly over the maximum allowed on any boat.

Um no, the tenders are NOT like this. The cruiselines would be full of diasters at sea if they were...lol.

LOL!!!!!!!! I see you've been to Nassau as well!

Exactly what I was thinking of and picturing!

When we were on the water taxi we also calculated how long it would take to swim. The whole ride there was scary! Ugh! We opted to take a taxi back.

The tenders used to carry passengers to/from a cruise ship are acting on behalf of the cruise ship, so they MUST adhere to the safety guidelines of that cruiseline which generally that state there should be a lifejacket or everyone on that tender. If you notice, you will see the ship's security personnel (or whomever is working loading the passengers on/off the tender) counting how many passengers get on. They are sure to "cut off" the line when they have reached the limit of life-jacketable persons.

Also--if you look around closely, you will probably see lifejackets stored under the seats or above your head, or you will see a painted stencil on the wall somewhere that says "XX adult/XX child lifejackets".

Once you get on land, and opt to take a private form of transportation (Nassau water taxi), all bets are off and you are subject to whatever guidelines are currently being enforced at that port. That is, if that private boat operator even follows them...

CeleBrat

We opted to take a taxi back.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I did the SAME thing! I paid for round trip. But after ONE trip on that water taxi, I decided our lives were worth more than the $3 pp I would lose if I took a LAND taxi back...LOL

That is so funny. I thought I was the only crazed lunatic mother who worried about that kind of stuff. ;)

Since then, we have done the land taxis ONLY in Nassau. Which is funny since the last time, the land taxi driver yelled and screamed at a guy who parked her in. But it was better than swimming to shore. LOL!

Archived