Disney Cruise advice/Nassau excursions

Guinness6

Hi there

This will be our first Disney cruise. My son will be turning 7. Does anybody think it's better to stay on the ship on the Nassau day, or book an excursion. I want to make the best use of our time and I'm thinking there is plenty of fun on the ship.

Any thought?

many thanks!

Libby

We sailed on the Wonder in May. We did the catamaran sail and reef snorkel while docked at Nassau and loved it (my son is also 7). You get a very enjoyable ride to and from the reef, and get a history lesson about Nassau from a very knowledgeable guide on the way back while enjoying rum punch, plain punch and munchies. The snorkeling itself was great - lots and lots of fish and a beautiful reef. After the excursion, we went back to the ship, ate lunch, and then walked thru the straw market in Nassau - crowded and hot, but did buy a few souvenirs from very nice vendors. We also walked through some stores and bought rum cakes and cheap liquor to take home. We heard good reviews about visiting Atlantis, also the Pirate Museum. If we were to go on the same cruise again, I would get off the ship and do an excursion of some sort for part of the day at least. Hope this helps.

have you been to nassau before? if not, i think it is good to get off the ship for awhile to at least say you have been there! :) it is also a good experience for the kids to see other cultures, etc. as mentioned above, there are plenty of things to do...there are also horse drawn carriage rides to point out the sites, fort charlotte, fort fincastle, dolphin encounters...sometimes we just hang out on the beach...

whatever you decide, have fun!

have you been to nassau before? if not, i think it is good to get off the ship for awhile to at least say you have been there! :)

Agreed! You HAVE to get off the ship the first time you arrive at a port. After that, if you return again, then you can decide to stay on-board. That's our family rule, at least.

CeleBrat

My son is also 7 and we just got back from our cruise!

We did the Blue Lagoon Island excursion-- they have dolphin and sea lion encounters. It is BEAUTIFUL and the staff is awesome with children.

I have some pictures on my blog if that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or want more details about the excursion!

ye here is great shopping, all duty free, your son may like the Pirate museum too.

10 minute walk from the ship. It is a large purple building 2 blocks behind the straw market.

straw market is on the first street, (waterfront) about 4 or 5 blocks to the right. easy to find.

If you google Pirate museum at Nassau you can find their web site to give you some good info about it. allow an hour to se it all.

as mentioned above the carriage rides are fun and dotn forget about the cool aquarium at Atlantis hotel, you can catcha taxi and do this on your own too if you dont want to do the excursion.

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived