is the chocolate buffet a casualty of 2.0?

lhall85917

Unless I missed it, we didn't have a chocolate buffet on our recent Jewel cruise. I thought I checked the Dailys carefully but you never know. Has NCL done away with this? I think I remember the Pearl having one this spring, it was late one evening.

It was on the Dream this month. The lines were sooooo long it wasn't worth waiting for. The next morning cabins had dishes of chocolate items on the floor outside the door! As my mother used to say "your eyes were bigger than your belly"! The buffet was outside on the pool deck. It was nice to look at and we saved a few calories!

The Dawn had it June 1. The line was very very long and people were taking 3 to 4 plates of stuff. I got a look at it after the gorging and it was pretty empty. Never saw people eat so much in my life.

It was kind of a turn off to say the least.

Sometimes "someone" forgets to put it in print in the Freestyle Daily - but there usually is an announcement when that happens. We just happened upon the prep work the second last day of our cruise so we asked when it would open. Went and got the camera to take photos before the hordes decended. (man they should tape that and play it back on the ships tv - then maybe people would realize what absolute gluttons they look like) :eek: But then they probably wouldn't care either. Sickening to watch - so we left (as usual) but really am not into chocolate at 10:00 pm.

The only other possibility (besides missing the announcement) is that at times if there is noro on the ship they will forego the chocolate buffett.

(That I've read about but thank goodness have never experienced.)

We just got back yesterday 6/28 from the Star and we found out that the chocolate buffet had happened the morning after. It was NOT in our daily, as I read them very carefully everyday. We did not hear an announcement because we were probably in our room. So, yes it still happens but make sure to ask about it.

That would make sense, we were under strict noro precautions during that cruise.

We thought about not having the chocolate buffet when we were on the plane going home. I know the sanitary thing was for our benefit (health wise) but I sure got tired of it by the 3rd day. I hated having my hands sprayed. That alcohol spray was so diluted I can't imagine it would have done much good anyway. I felt much better about washing my hands with soap and water. I'm sure we'll have some nurses responding to this soon and will explain it to me.

We did miss the chocolate buffet when we realized we weren't offered it. Not that we needed the chocolate, just tradition.

We thought about not having the chocolate buffet when we were on the plane going home. I know the sanitary thing was for our benefit (health wise) but I sure got tired of it by the 3rd day. I hated having my hands sprayed. That alcohol spray was so diluted I can't imagine it would have done much good anyway. I felt much better about washing my hands with soap and water. I'm sure we'll have some nurses responding to this soon and will explain it to me.

We did miss the chocolate buffet when we realized we weren't offered it. Not that we needed the chocolate, just tradition.

That's exactly how we felt about the chocolate buffet - we definitely didn't need it, but we missed it being there. I never thought it was cancelled due to Noro, but I tend to believe that must have been why.

That's exactly how we felt about the chocolate buffet - we definitely didn't need it, but we missed it being there. I never thought it was cancelled due to Noro, but I tend to believe that must have been why.

I'll have to believe it was due to the Noro thing as well. Don't you think they could have mentioned it to us at some point? Then again, if they had mentioned it, there may have been a mutiny on the ship. Ha!

The Dawn had it June 1. The line was very very long and people were taking 3 to 4 plates of stuff. I got a look at it after the gorging and it was pretty empty. Never saw people eat so much in my life.

It was kind of a turn off to say the least.

Down right sickening if ya ask me..I went to ONE on my first cruise and will never attend another...eewww....sure saw lots of gluttony and waste.:(

Had it on the Pearl this last May. It was in the daily, but you had to look carefully. I love my chocolate, but I went to take pictures first, and seeing all the people pile their plates, I went back not eating:eek: . Beautiful to see.

Nancy

I know the sanitary thing was for our benefit (health wise) but I sure got tired of it by the 3rd day. I hated having my hands sprayed. That alcohol spray was so diluted I can't imagine it would have done much good anyway. I felt much better about washing my hands with soap and water. I'm sure we'll have some nurses responding to this soon and will explain it to me.

Studies have said that those hand sanitizers are good for killing most germs on your hands. All soap and water does is send the germs down the drain. I however do perfer washing my hands before I eat, because I don't like the stickiness of the hand sanitizers... And I am a nurse.

We did have a Chocolate Buffet on the Dawn this week, and it was in the freestyle daily. However, this is the first time I saw them do it in the buffet instead of one of the dining rooms, and this really brought down the presentation. It was weird seeing ice sculptures behind the buffet counter.

Only been on one NCL cruise so far and did attend the Chocolate Buffet. Not super impressed with the taste and the atmosphere was weird (dark lighting w/ lots of photo flashing.)

The BEST chocolate experience we had on the cruise was (I think) Le Bistro's Chocolate Fondue dessert. Amazing and delicious! Luscious fruit with a small metal pot of melted chocolate = worth the extra dough.

And in reference to the dessert buffet gluttony mentioned above- I did see some of that on my last cruise and I agree it's enough to make one lose their appetite. However, if a crew member is serving they might be doling out huge portions just to get it over with. . . I can't remember if you serve yourself at that one or not.

on the Majesty last week.

You have made my day!!!!:) The chocolate buffet is the highlight of the cruise for me; unfortuately, due to an infectious outbreak last year we did not have one on our 14 day cruise on the Dawn...... :(

Only been on one NCL cruise so far and did attend the Chocolate Buffet. Not super impressed with the taste and the atmosphere was weird (dark lighting w/ lots of photo flashing.)

The BEST chocolate experience we had on the cruise was (I think) Le Bistro's Chocolate Fondue dessert. Amazing and delicious! Luscious fruit with a small metal pot of melted chocolate = worth the extra dough.

And in reference to the dessert buffet gluttony mentioned above- I did see some of that on my last cruise and I agree it's enough to make one lose their appetite. However, if a crew member is serving they might be doling out huge portions just to get it over with. . . I can't remember if you serve yourself at that one or not.

On the Dawn they were serving themselves and some of it was gross. If adults want to do that to themselves, fine, it's a free country. But when they raise and create obese children, it's awful. Saw too much of that on the cruise. They are setting their kids up for a lifetime of health issues. Very very sad.

Agreed! Had that on the Spirit after reading recommendations to do so on CC.

It was just on the Dawn as well. I will have to agree with everyone here. It was far from what I would consider a true chocolate buffet. Everything was processed cakes with tons of frosting with the occasional chocolate covered banana. It was utterly gross and the lines were tremendous. I wish they had real chocloate. I was disappointed to say the least.

And kids were taking 2-3 platefuls of everything, then taking a single bite and leaving the rest. The parents should have more control of their kids.

Isn't it strange that the chocolate in the chocolate buffet doesn't taste very good? I thought I was just picky, but after reading other people's comments here, I see that I'm not alone. The chocolate is.. bland.

I love going to the chocolate buffet just to see the presentation. I'm a chocoholic, but only end up taking one or two small items because most of it is pretty yucky.

Archived