Ocho Rios canopy tour

-ClevelandRocks-

Would like to try zip-lining in Ocho Rios. Is there a reputable outfitter there or should I book through Carnival? Would love to here any opinions from others who have tried it in O.R. Thanx Much!

I hate to see a question go unanswered so I did a little research. The Chukka Zip Line tour is only available to locals or must be booked through the ship, in your case the Destiny.

Here's the website for Chukka, there's an email link on the left. You might want to confirm what I found out with them:

http://chukkacanopy.shoreadventures.net/

Best of luck!!

Mach

WE just got home Sunday from our cruise on FOS, and we did the canopy tour last Wednesday with Chukka. In my research, the only way I found to book it was through RC . That said, we had an AWESOME time!!! Five of us went...the ride getting there was an experience in itself-lots of interesting sites!!! Anyway- the tour itself was a blast. ALOT of downhill steps to the first traverse though. That was probably the only "complaint" I might have. I was a little nervous at first but once we got started we loved every second!!! There were actually about nine traverses all together-one goes straight down-but none were real long. The last one was the longest. If you have any further questions...please ask!!! :)

WE just got home Sunday from our cruise on FOS, and we did the canopy tour last Wednesday with Chukka. In my research, the only way I found to book it was through RC . That said, we had an AWESOME time!!! Five of us went...the ride getting there was an experience in itself-lots of interesting sites!!! Anyway- the tour itself was a blast. ALOT of downhill steps to the first traverse though. That was probably the only "complaint" I might have. I was a little nervous at first but once we got started we loved every second!!! There were actually about nine traverses all together-one goes straight down-but none were real long. The last one was the longest. If you have any further questions...please ask!!! :)

i'll be doing this in a couple weeks. the one that goes straight down,is that a small one?

also, did they make a video of it,or just pics?

The one that is straight down is real short, and especially fun if you happen to be among the first to go because then you get to watch everyone else!!! The guide there made that particular drop fun by teasing the person being dropped. All in good fun, though!!! :-)

We did this tour a couple years ago and are now returning w/the kids via Royal Carib. One problem I am finding - the minimum age per the cruise line is 12, but from the Chukka company it is 10. My youngest will be about 4 months shy of 12 when we go. I have emailed the Chukka people,waiting to hear back . I spoke w/the cruise line, no real answers given other than to wait and book when we get on board to talk to the shore excursion rep on the ship. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Did this one several years ago - it was my first Canopy tour and was a total blast!!!

I have since done zip-lining in two other countries and I can tell you that this tour was the most tame of the ones I have done. Mostly because on the other ones, we were required to stop ourselves. This one the lines seemed to be set so that you slowed naturally at the end and on the few that you were still moving, the guides stopped you.

The little straight down one was pretty cool and was an unexpected treat when we did this one. :)

Have fun!!

We would like to try the zip line tour since we have heard such rave reviews, but I have found two different ones in Jamaica. Chukka, and ZipLine Adventure Tours. Which ones have people tried and what would you recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
We would like to try the zip line tour since we have heard such rave reviews, but I have found two different ones in Jamaica. Chukka, and ZipLine Adventure Tours. Which ones have people tried and what would you recommend.

"Zipline Adventures" is the name of a tour offered by a few private transportation companies. It is a good option for those with children under 12. The tour will include the zipline, sometimes an atv ride, and shopping time in Ocho Rios.

Jamaica Zipline Adventures is a zipline company out of Montego Bay. They are great and safe! They have the double cables (safety line) and the hand-less breaking. You can book direct, rather than through the cruise line. They have a page here:

http://jamaica-zipline.shoreadventures.net/

I love Chukka also. Though, there is that issue with the children under 12 (the cruise line won't book them even though Chukka will.) The problem with Chukka is that they will not sell to anyone that is coming through the cruise, so you cannot book direct, you have to go through the cruise line.

Hi, We are also looking at the Chukka Canopy Tour for December 08 cruise and really would like to try it. Everyone says how great it is. You said that there was a LOT of downhill steps. My daughter and I both have bad backs, do you have something to hang onto going down the steps? I just don't won't to make the reservation then when we get there can't get down the steps:D

slowpoke58

If you have a bad back I'm not sure if you want to do this tour. There is a little bit of hiking to do and at the end of the last zip (the 1000 feet one) you basicly slam into a big foam mattress that is around the base of the tree at the bottom. I'm serious...it freaked me right out. They don't warn you at the top, you just realise that you're coming in really fast and you think you're going to hit the tree....well you do, but at least there is a two feet thick foamie against the tree! I don't remember the walking/hiking to be much of a problem, but you really have to use your stomach muscles and such when you're holding your legs up on the zips. It was a pretty tiring day. Don't get me wrong.....I loved this tour and when we sail Western again next May we plan on doing it again.

If you have a bad back I'm not sure if you want to do this tour. There is a little bit of hiking to do and at the end of the last zip (the 1000 feet one) you basicly slam into a big foam mattress that is around the base of the tree at the bottom. I'm serious...it freaked me right out. They don't warn you at the top, you just realise that you're coming in really fast and you think you're going to hit the tree....well you do, but at least there is a two feet thick foamie against the tree! I don't remember the walking/hiking to be much of a problem, but you really have to use your stomach muscles and such when you're holding your legs up on the zips. It was a pretty tiring day. Don't get me wrong.....I loved this tour and when we sail Western again next May we plan on doing it again.

We did this tour in February of this year and we didn't slam into a mattress of any kind.:confused:

My husband went first and then I was second. I hit it and then watched the rest of the group come in after me and hit it as well. One lady's glasses came off her face, which I thought was dangerous because the nose piece could have done some damage! Maybe they've fixed it since.....we went in January of 2006.

Archived