1st time to Alaska....

We're considering going with RCI to Alaska next September but are also comparing it with cruises from Princess, NCL and HAL. Can anyone tell me what 'style' of cruising RCI is and what the dining options are? Do you have set meal times in the evenings and do you end up having to sit on a large table with people you don't know??

Sorry if that sounds miserable but it's our anniversary and we'd probably rather have a more informal meal for 2!

Also, has anyone been on the RCI 'Ultimate Alaska' cruise which ends up back in San Diego? It's pretty much the last cruise of the deason but seems to do a lot of stops for the money?

You can request a 2-top, but it's not a guarantee that you'll get it. If you don't, don't get all stressed. You'll have the entire cruise to be "alone" and by having tablemates, you'll have other fun-loving folks to ooh and aah over your anniversary! New folks to tell your tales to! New stories to hear! Everyone on the ship has at least 1 thing in common--cruising! They won't be strangers after you exchange names!

I don't know if it's avail. on your ship or sailing, but RCI has been doing some "My Time" dining--maybe you can take advantage of that!

Thanks.

That sounds nice but is there an option to eat anywhere other than the main formal dining rooms in the evenings?

I'm guessing that during the day people eat more informally?

This sounds like I'm obsessed with the food rather than the actual cruise but I'm just trying to work out which of the cruise lines is best for us.

If you go on either the Radiance or Serenade, both of which seem to be options for Alaska next Sept., you could book either Chops or Portofino for your anniversary dinner. You could definitely get a table for just the two of you and it would be an intimate, special dinner...not particularly informal, though.

The Windjammer Cafe serves dinner in a very informal setting.

RCI Radiance of the Seas has two pay dining areas Chops and Portofinos, which are great value for the $20-$25 you pay for terrific service and delicious food.

Other option is the Windjammer Buffet or Seaview Cafe.

Not sure about all RCI ships sailing Alaska but they would have those and maybe more like Johnny Rockets and perhaps others.

Hi

I have not long returned from an Alaska cruise with RC Serenade... it was the best cruise I have ever done, Alaska was the best place I have ever been and I am already planning another one.

We did the 7 night from Vancouver... woke up the first morning to humpbacks outside our cabin.... next day we had a pod of Orcas - including a baby!

Would recommend this to everyone - its so tranquil, relaxing and stunning.

You do have set times you have to dine.. however I beleive if you pre-pay your gratuaties and depending on which ship you are on they are doing a 'my time dining' where you can change your set time etc. One of the things I love is the dining room-but I missed out twice because I couldn't tear myself away from the views!

You can also ask for a table for 2... but we have had some fun times with our guests at all the tables we have had... its part of the fun!

Would 110% recommend RC... ships do get illnesses but they do all they can to prevent and contain.... one cruise I went on 12 people out over 3000 were ill - now thats very good odds!

Dining during the day is completely as informal as you want - and extremely delicious.

Hope I answered all your questions and didnt stray too much... I just can not recommend this enough... I loved the Caribean.. but this is WOW!!

Enjoy:)

Thanks so much for all your advice. Alaska seems to have the VISION class ships which, from what I can see look smaller (?) than the others and have less dining options but still tempted as I think the facilities look great. Alaska generally sounds amazing so can't wait!

We did the Ultimate Alaska cruise last September on Radiance.........it was the last cruise in Alaska for Radiance and we ended up in LA. Weather at the end of the season was on the cooler side..........but we took lightweight fleece jackets and good waterproof coats with us...........we layered..............and we were good to go.

The Ultimate Alaska cruise is about the best cruise as it combines Alaska with ports in the Pacific Northwest.....so you get double your pleasure.........double your fun.

The only RCI ships sailing to Alaska for the 2009 season are Vision class (Rhapsody) and Radiance class (Radiance & Serenade).

On Radiance and Serenade, besides the Specialty Restaurants, you have The SeaView Cafe and the Solarium Cafe (which has the best made to order crepes). Plus the Radiance class has the best glassed in areas for viewing.

Whichever ship you decide on...............sailing to Alaska will be an experience you will never forget.

I did an Alaska sailing last month on Rhapsody of the Seas. She is in great shape with a fantastic crew. Still my favorite class is the Radiance class, as that class has more onboard options AND better Alaska itineraries (although we still had a wonderful time in all the ports).

Yes, there are informal options on RCCL ships if you do not want to eat in the main dining room. All ships have the Windjammer Buffets. The ships that sail Alaska also have the solarium cafes which have things like burgers and pizzas. The Radiance class also have the Seaview Cafes, plus they have the 2 specialty restaurants.

You also have the option of ordering room service. During hours where the main dining room is open, you can get most items off the main dining room menus (except things like lobster).

We did the northbound Ultimate Alaska Cruise on the Serenade this year and it was fantastic! You definitely get a lot for your $$$. As one poster said, not only do you get Alaska, but the Pacific Northwest also. And some ports that the regular weekly Alaska cruises don't go to. The Radiance class ships are ideal for Alaska.....always a view available.

You can request a table for 2 when you book the cruise, or if it is available on your sailing you can opt for the My Time Dining and easily get a table for 2 every night. We always choose to sit at a large table, but that's just us! We eat together every night, so it's nice to have new folks to talk to.

I highly recommend these longer Alaskan cruises.

Thanks so much for all your advice. Alaska seems to have the VISION class ships which, from what I can see look smaller (?) than the others and have less dining options but still tempted as I think the facilities look great. Alaska generally sounds amazing so can't wait!

IMO, I'd go with either the Radiance or the Serenade. Not only are these ships newer, but they're basically designed for Alaskan cruising because of the huge expanses of glass in the public areas of the ship. Also, they have a wonderful indoor Solarium area...a heated pool, hot tub, padded lounge chairs which is all under a huge glass roof in a tropical setting. It's very relaxing in there.

The Radiance and Serenade are really the same identical ship, under the classification Radiance class...they just have different decorations. (The Jewel and the Brilliance are in this class too, but they don't sail Alaska.) They are mid-sized ships, and easy to get around on. Personally, it's my favorite class of ship...I've done 4 cruises on them, and have another 2 planned.

If you're a "foodie" definitely do the Radiance or Serenade, rather than the Rhapsody. Like others mentioned, they have more choices of where to eat. Definitely don't miss Chops and/or Portofino's for a super special dinner. It's a $20 fee each, but you'd pay over $100 each for a comparable meal in a restaurant on land. Chops is classic steak house food...their filet mignon is excellent, not to mention the desserts. Portofino's is more of an Italian restaurant, and they offer steak, seafood, pasta, etc. Both of these venues are fancier than the normal dining room, but you can wear your normal dinner clothes (khakis and a polo shirt for the guys, and a nice outfit for the gals). Depending on what you order, you could end up with a several course meal. For example, we usually order soup, an appetizer, an entree with side dishes, and dessert at Chops...oh, and there's the bread course, and you can do a salad course if you want. At Portofino's there's a bread course, salad, soup, appetizer, pasta (appetizer sized), entree w/ sides, and dessert.

I like the dining room. We usually only eat there for dinner, but the breakfasts and lunches are good too. We personally request to sit at a large table, because it's so fun getting to know everyone. You can request a 2 person table, and be sure to note on the reservation that it's your anniversary...it's not guaranteed though, since there are only so many 2 seat tables. In general the food is very good in the dining room. On a couple of occasions I've gotten something I didn't care for, but the waiter was quick to take it away and bring me something else.

The Windjammer buffet is another choice. We always eat there for breakfast and lunch, but prefer dinner in the dining room. Still, the Windjammer is nice for dinner...just depends on what you prefer. I personally like to be pampered a bit, and waited on at dinner time. If you don't feel like changing clothes for dinner, it's nice to go to as it's casual.

The Seaview Cafe is yummy. They have great hot sandwiches, clam chowder in bread bowls, fries and onion rings, etc. We like to go there for lunch, or even a midnight snack.

We're going to Alaska next summer too. I saw the Ultimate Alaska cruise that you're talking about, and I think it's a great deal and you get to see so much. Be sure to spend some time in San Diego when you get back from the cruise...it's a fantastic city, with lots to do and see. Unfortunately the dates didn't work for us for the Ultimate Alaska, so we couldn't book it.

Have fun on your cruise! :)

Archived