Any good restaurants NOT in OSJ?

perkyblue

Our ship docks at the pier that is NOT in OSJ. (I forget waht it's called - Pan American pier?) I booked our hotel before I realized this, so we're staying at the Sherton OSJ the night before our cruise, and we'll be having dinner at the Parrot Club.

After the cruise, the ship returns to San Juan at 7 am. Our flight isn't until 3:35, so we're hoping to have lunch in San Juan before we get to the airport. Is there anywhere near where our ship docks that would be good for lunch, or would we be better off taking a taxi to OSJ and eating at El Jibarito or La Bombanera?

Our ship docks at the pier that is NOT in OSJ. (I forget waht it's called - Pan American pier?) I booked our hotel before I realized this, so we're staying at the Sherton OSJ the night before our cruise, and we'll be having dinner at the Parrot Club.

After the cruise, the ship returns to San Juan at 7 am. Our flight isn't until 3:35, so we're hoping to have lunch in San Juan before we get to the airport. Is there anywhere near where our ship docks that would be good for lunch, or would we be better off taking a taxi to OSJ and eating at El Jibarito or La Bombanera?

Best to head to OSJ for the sightseeing as well as the best selection of good restaurants. Barrachina is the classic choice since they will also store all your luggage for you until you leave for the airport. http://www.barrachina.com/ Good food and great Pina Coladas! You will love the Parrot Club! Make sure you have a Parrot Passion drink.

I think we're going to do RCI's luggage valet, so that won't be an issue for us. I ate at Barrachina last year in San Juan, and I did like it, but I wanted to try some new places this time. The other ones I've read about the most on CC are El Jibarito and La Bombanera, so I was thinking of trying one of those if there weren't any good places by the Pan American pier.

So which one of those two would you recommend? Or is Barrachina much better than those other two? Or is there some other place I should try?

I can't wait to try a Parrot Passion! That drink has come up quite a few times here while I was searching for restaurant info, so it must be good!

I think we're going to do RCI's luggage valet, so that won't be an issue for us. I ate at Barrachina last year in San Juan, and I did like it, but I wanted to try some new places this time. The other ones I've read about the most on CC are El Jibarito and La Bombanera, so I was thinking of trying one of those if there weren't any good places by the Pan American pier.

So which one of those two would you recommend? Or is Barrachina much better than those other two? Or is there some other place I should try?

I can't wait to try a Parrot Passion! That drink has come up quite a few times here while I was searching for restaurant info, so it must be good!

I'd recommend La Bombonera more for breakfast, it is an authentic local luncheonette type place, but not in the league of the others for lunch. There's nothing right near Pan American Pier.

IMO, Barrachina is over-rated. The food is not the best you'll find. Though the Pina Coladas are killer!

El Jiberito is excellent local food.

DragonFly (on the south end of Forteleza street toward Fort San Cristobal) is a more upscale (pricey) restaurant that serves excellent PR/Asian fusion.

Or try El Buren (on Cristo Street across from El Convento).

Or Amapola up on Norzagaray Street -- they have an ocean view from their rooftop dining area.

What's up guys!

Docking in OSJ on Monday on a Carnival Cruise. Want to have dinner @ Ajili Mojili. How far a taxi ride is it from the OSJ pier and is it worth the effort?

Thank You for your help.

There's better within walking distance IMHO, like the Parrot Club, but if you want to go to Ajili Mojili, it's around a 10 minute ride over to the Condado, it's on Ashford.

Thanks toonjie...

ok so, if i'm not mistaken The Parrot Club is more of a "nuevo latino" style restaurant?

i'm actually looking for more of traditional food with a "upscaley" atmosphere. Suggestions?, or would i be good with my regular plan, Ajili Mojili.

Thanks toonjie...

ok so, if i'm not mistaken The Parrot Club is more of a "nuevo latino" style restaurant?

i'm actually looking for more of traditional food with a "upscaley" atmosphere. Suggestions?, or would i be good with my regular plan, Ajili Mojili.

Exactly right for the parrot Club with some Cuban fusion. You could also look at Pamela's, it also has an emphasis on tropical fare, it's super- romantic and great food. http://www.numero1guesthouse.com/pamelas.html.

If you want traditional Puerto Rican food in an upscale environment, then Ajili Mojili is the place.

Tangerine, in the Water Club, is perhaps the best food in the Caribbean and there is a great bar on the roof, waterfalls in the elevators, it's just great! We had dinner there the night we got engaged! It's a little further away than the others.

Archived