Toilet paper

Things I learned from the Boy Scouts (I was an adult leader, and learned them from the other leaders) included the ever popular BE PREPARED. And finding an outhouse with no TP in it generally bothered me than it bothered the guys (gee, I wonder why? :) )

So when I travel I do take some TP with me. But the guys showed me that rather than buying a travel roll, just wait until there's a small amount left on the roll at home, then squash the roll flat. You should then be able to wiggle the cardboard tube out from the middle, put it in a baggie, and VOILA! instant travel roll!

We have found that many of other countrys do not have tp or enough tp for visitors.. Especially in Africa and Egypt- where ya gotta pay for your squares! I imagine even in the Caribbean there may be places to have your own--even for a toilet "cover" which you usually do not find except in the US. BYOP!! Bring your own paper!

That gave me a chuckle as it brought back memories of when I had to pay for my squares in a few places in Cuba!!

Why don't you carry a Sears Roebuck catalog; tear out a page and use it when you have to, lol. Seriously, I have been all over the Caribbean and never experienced a toilet paper problem about which some have expressed concerns! If however, you decide to take a roll with you, I sincerely hope that I get a chance to capture the image with my camera.

I'm with you. 30 years of cruising...not only the Caribbean but most of the rivers and oceans around the world....and I have never experienced a "toilet paper crisis".

The only places I ever brought my own was Russia - before and after the fall, Egypt, Turkey, remote areas in Spain and a few places in Italy.

But, on cruise ships? Nope.

I don't bring Lysol, bungee cords, over-the-door shoe thingies, power strips, hair dryers (unless the ship doesn't have them), travel irons or steamers, handwipe thingies, air freshener, duct tape (needed it once for a broken suitcase zipper....Purser's desk was glad to give me some), cell phone, laptop, bottled water, soda or booze.

I do bring a small penlight flashlight, a small bottle of hand sanitizer that fits in my purse, and a very small tablet for leaving notes to my cabin mate, if necessary.

I have encountered no toilet paper in both the Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera, many, many times. I never leave the ship without a bunch of tissues in my bag.

We have found that many of other countrys do not have tp or enough tp for visitors.. Especially in Africa and Egypt- where ya gotta pay for your squares! I imagine even in the Caribbean there may be places to have your own--even for a toilet "cover" which you usually do not find except in the US. BYOP!! Bring your own paper!

Oh so true!!

And in many of the European ports we had to buy our square of paper as well. After the first time this happened, I learned to carry small toilet paper from the ship or extra kleenex.

There were places where we had to pay to get into the restroom.

In Asia we learned to ask where there was a "Western" bathroom .. but even there the tp was sparse. I always have travel tissues with me so I am always prepared . but gotta go with your sister on this one.

My sister read somewhere that you should take your own toilet paper with you when you leave the ship, because a lot of places do not have tp. Have any of you experienced this? We are traveling to eastern Caribbean. I told her she is nuts and I would post this and let her know. Thanks

LOL...Your Sister is not Nuts..:D I've often encountered restrooms throughout the world including the Caribbean & Mexico that either did not have a supply or had run out of toilet paper, soap or towels to dry your hands..I've learned to carry a small supply of tissues, a seat cover & Purrell on shore..;)

Hope you have a great cruise..:) Betty.

I have not found lack of TP in our travels in Italy, however I had to use several places where there weren't seat covers. This time as we cruise the Eastern Med I am taking a zip lock bag with Clorex anti-bacterial wipes and a clip like those used to close a chip bag. I will put the wipe on the clip and then clean the seat. Sounds crazy but I will feel more comfortable knowing I used the wipe. Also the hand sanitizer is a must.

Judee:)

Archived