How to Dress for Dinner

Glenda S

My husband and I will be on our first cruise this summer. We''ll be on the Windstar in Eastern Med. How do the women dress for dinner? Are dresses the norm or more country club casual, pants or skirts worn with blouses and sweaters?

We have been on 3 windspirit cruises and leaving on our 4th in October. I have always worn slacks and a nice shirt to dinner. My wife has always worn "church duds" (maybe slacks and a "sparkly" top) to dinner. These ships are very informal and you could wear just about anything to dinner but since most of the passangers are 50+ we still like to show up at dinner looking good. No ties or jackets unless you want.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Venice to Rome last year and are taking another one this summer. I wore slacks with a summery blouse or a sundress. My hubby wore slacks and a nice shirt every night! I packed a lot of sundresses and sandals for this trip . Its very relaxed but I wouldn't wear shorts! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on, er, eight Windstar Cruises, and the information you have been given is spot on. "Casual elegance" means guys in ties are hanged from the yardarm at sunrise, and women in formal gowns are keelhauled - by the other passengers, of course. ;) Your description of "country club casual" wil do just fine. Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived