Diving in Rangiroa

cruzegirl

Has anyone been diving in Rangiroa and who have you used? I really can't seem to find much info. by googling it. Thanks.

Hey Debbie,

I'm going out there next year and been doing a little research on the scuba boards. Dive Tahiti Blue http://www.divetahitiblue.com/islands/rangiroa.htm has an operation in Rangiroa and the number one recommendation I got was for TOPdive http://www.topdive.com/topd/rangiroa.php.

I believe Dive Tahiti Blue is the better of the two but it is not cheap. TOPdive tends to be a little better priced. I'm probably going to go with TOPdive because, from what I've heard, it will be better than anything I've done so far.

Darrell

Hey Debbie,

I'm going out there next year and been doing a little research on the scuba boards. Dive Tahiti Blue http://www.divetahitiblue.com/islands/rangiroa.htm has an operation in Rangiroa and the number one recommendation I got was for TOPdive http://www.topdive.com/topd/rangiroa.php.

I believe Dive Tahiti Blue is the better of the two but it is not cheap. TOPdive tends to be a little better priced. I'm probably going to go with TOPdive because, from what I've heard, it will be better than anything I've done so far.

Darrell

Darrell,

Thanks for the info. I forgot about Top Dive being there and didn't know that Dive Tahiti Blue was there at all. I will check them out. The only issue with Top Dive is that they won't let my buddy/friends husband free dive with their dive shop. Even though he's a DM/instructor, cert. many years that now free dives. But thanks for the info. and I will check on it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Debbie

We did the Tahitian Princess cruise a few years ago and visited Rangiroa. While we only snorkelled (on an organised ship excursion) we found it by far the best of all the islands visited for coral/fish species seen, clarity of water etc. I know that those who went on the ship organised dive trip also found it absolutely fantastic. Apparently one of the trips involved being dropped off on the ocean side of the island and then travelling through the main entranceway on an incoming tide. Keep an eye out for the dolphins as well. They must hear the ship coming from miles away, and cruise the bow wave as the ship enters and leaves the lagoon. Have an awesome time!:D

Hi Debbie

We did the Tahitian Princess cruise a few years ago and visited Rangiroa. While we only snorkelled (on an organised ship excursion) we found it by far the best of all the islands visited for coral/fish species seen' date=' clarity of water etc. I know that those who went on the ship organised dive trip also found it absolutely fantastic. Apparently one of the trips involved being dropped off on the ocean side of the island and then travelling through the main entranceway on an incoming tide. Keep an eye out for the dolphins as well. They must hear the ship coming from miles away, and cruise the bow wave as the ship enters and leaves the lagoon. Have an awesome time!:D[/quote']

Thanks a bunch.... I so can't wait.... and will have a full report when I return..... :p

Diving Rangiroa with Top Dive is superb. One of the most fantastic dives they offer is a drift dive through the channel leading into the lagoon. Absolutely incredible. You begin the dive via a Zodiac, out to the outside reef, and literally fly your way back into the lagoon. The depth can vary from 110' up to around 80' in the channel, but you don't kick, you fly with your arms in a 4-6 knot current. We had hammer heads, eagle and manta rays, black tips, lemons and turtles all making the "flight" along with us. The vis is usually fantastic on the incoming tides 100' easily, and the whole dive takes maybe 20 minutes to navigate the roughly 400-500 yards of the channel into the lagoon. The dives off the outer reefs are awesome as well. I had the pleasure to dive with the French government's official Ship's Pilot who has to navigate for the cruise ships that enter the lagoon. He lives on Tahiti, but has a place on Rangiroa for his family, because in his opinion the diving there is the best in the region. Top Dive also offeres Nitrox, however the system was down the two days we were there last New Years, and they could only provide regular air. I know you'll enjoy!;)

Archived