Help!! 7 day Alaska or 14 day Panama Canal

LegalCat

I need major help here!! lol...

We got a $900 p/p credit from NCL due to problems on our honeymoon cruise... we have the following two options to consider... we want to do panama canal and alaska in the future...

Choice 1 is the Pearl May 17-May 24 7 day Alaska... we would have to fly round trip miami/seattle....the quote that we have is a BD balcony... 3,027.08 including fuel charges, taxes, port etc... so we would be out of pocket 1,227.08 after the NCL credit...

Choice 2 is also on the Pearl and is Miami to California through the Panama Canal... its 14 days... the cost quoted for a BA balcony is $5,460.88 minus the 1,800 credit so about 3,660 out of pocket...

The ship is the same so thats no difference... obviously 7 days vs 14 days is a big difference... but i think we can do it... we've never taken a cruise longer than 7 days... work probably wouldnt like it but after 12 yrs at the same job I dont think I will have a problem swinging the two weeks off... I dont know how i feel about taking a 14 day one... could be great or it could be crazy lol...our kids are grown so no worries there... my parents would take our dogs for the two weeks...

obviously there is a lot more out of pocket for the 14 day.. but with the 1800 off its a good price I think for 14 days...

I dont know anything about either destinations except that panama canal and alaska are both on our cruise wish list... i have a lot of research to do... it doesnt help that we just got back from 10 days (7 day cruise) in hawaii and hubby is kind of not ready to talk about another cruise yet LOL but we only have 12 months to use the credit

Also, if we did the 7 day... we might spend a few days in seattle before the cruise... so it would probably be a 10 day vacation anyway... ack!! i'm so confused...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

One thing that just occurred to me is that we didnt like how low key our hawaii cruise was on NCL... we felt like there wasnt enough activities during the day... so maybe a 14 day cruise would be better had on more of a party line like carnival if we are looking for a lot of stuff going on

We had been doing 7 night cruises for years and I, too , was aprehensive about doing a longer one. My husband really wanted to do the canal ( I didn't, at the time) but I surprised him for his birthday.

It was the greatest cruise and now doing a 7 nighter feels like a "quickie getaway". We are doing a 19 night in Sept. and can't wait.

So, my suggestion would be to use your $1800 toward the longer cruise and really shop the Alaska cruise for a future date.

You won't go wrong, either way but 2 week afordable cruises are a

luxury that I think you will love.

My only hesitation would be your comment about wanting more activity.

On longer cruises, the age tends to be older and I suppose it could seem repetitive. We like the option of being relaxed and laid back, so that would be the thing that you might want to really think about.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Both itineraries are in our future, but only one booked thus far and it's Alaska! Your bottom line for that cruise is quite enticing and would allow you to "whoop it up" on some attractive excursions. To me, Alaska is like a "once in a lifetime" cruise; one you should make the best of!

We went on a 15 day repositioning cruise, which has left us feeling like a 7 day cruise is just not long enough. The longer cruises are more appealing to us if they have a nice combination of ports AND sea days. If it's a really port intensive cruise, you're constantly on the run day to day and sort of - forgive the pun - miss the boat on getting some R&R. The Pearl's itinerary for Panama Canal looks great!

Contrary to what I've read about NCL America, I think NCL does a great job of providing daily activities. Otherwise your party is what YOU make it. KWIM?

Yeah that was one thing in Hawaii was there was no sea days and we missed that... well hubby says he really wants to do the 14 day one... and now that i'm looking.. it seems that 14 days is really the only way to do it... i thought that NCL had a 9 day one.. but when I started researching it I realized that it doesnt go actually all the way though the panama canal...

I really would consider the Panama Canal. Have done both Alaska and the Panama Canal and loved them both. One consideration is the May sailing for Alaska---not too terribly warm that time of year in Alaska! Lots to see but not very warm! We did so much Balcony time on the Panama Canal- breakfast on the balcony watching the country side. Not port intensive but alot to see from the ship. Good luck and have a great time!:)

Wow.. what a tough choise you have before you. Or had before you..seems like your DH has settled the question. I would have directed you more towards Alaska. However I am not so sure of that either. A lot of it depends on how old you are..and I am not saying that to be nosey.. LOL..

We have traveled the world and seen some amazing and beautiful sights. On our Alaskan cruise last month.. we were on an excursion up Misty Fjord and the tour guide said a quote by John Mihr. I am still searching for the exact quote, but the quote basically said that Alaska should be visited by the old. Because if you are young, and you see Alaska, then you will have nothing to look forward to the rest of your life. You will know you have seen the best their is to see and no place you ever visit from then on will live up to the beauty and grandure you see in Alaska.

Do I think that is an exaggeration? No. I have to say that the amazing place we call Alaska.. it really is undescrible to me. I can never put into words how i felt every moment looking at her beauty.

So I started to say that I would recommend Alaska over the Panamal Canal. But not really.. Go see all you want to see... go every where you want to go first.. then go to Alaska. It really does something to you. We have a Caribbean cruise booked for October of this year on the Pearl. Am I excited? Well.. it will be a cruise.. We are about to book a 14 day cruise for our tenth year. Am I excited? Well.. it is a cruise. But I know as beautiful as it will all be, there will be a part of me still longing to return to Alaska.

Well, i'm 32 and I still have lots of places to see... so maybe I should save Alaska for later, LOL... after doing a little bit more research it seems like there are a few more choices for Alaska than panama canal.. it seems like a lot of cruises go TO the panama canal, but not actually all the way through it... so if we were going to end up on this same cruise anyway, then mayb e we should do it while we have 1800 off...

Do you have to book directly with NCL to use the credit they issued you? If not, I have a strong feeling you would get a better deal using an online agent, there are several good ones, or a private cruise agent. Just a suggestion if you are able to use one.

First of all, CONGRATS on the wedding LegalCat! Sorry to hear you had a few hiccups on your recent cruise.

As for the credit, if I were you I would definately use it for Alaska. We are going on the Pearl on 5/31 to Alaska and I CAN'T WAIT! For some reason, the Panama Canal itinerary just doesn't interest me.

I need major help here!! lol...

We got a $900 p/p credit from NCL due to problems on our honeymoon cruise... we have the following two options to consider... we want to do panama canal and alaska in the future...

Choice 1 is the Pearl May 17-May 24 7 day Alaska... we would have to fly round trip miami/seattle....the quote that we have is a BD balcony... 3,027.08 including fuel charges, taxes, port etc... so we would be out of pocket 1,227.08 after the NCL credit...

Choice 2 is also on the Pearl and is Miami to California through the Panama Canal... its 14 days... the cost quoted for a BA balcony is $5,460.88 minus the 1,800 credit so about 3,660 out of pocket...

The ship is the same so thats no difference... obviously 7 days vs 14 days is a big difference... but i think we can do it... we've never taken a cruise longer than 7 days... work probably wouldnt like it but after 12 yrs at the same job I dont think I will have a problem swinging the two weeks off... I dont know how i feel about taking a 14 day one... could be great or it could be crazy lol...our kids are grown so no worries there... my parents would take our dogs for the two weeks...

obviously there is a lot more out of pocket for the 14 day.. but with the 1800 off its a good price I think for 14 days...

I dont know anything about either destinations except that panama canal and alaska are both on our cruise wish list... i have a lot of research to do... it doesnt help that we just got back from 10 days (7 day cruise) in hawaii and hubby is kind of not ready to talk about another cruise yet LOL but we only have 12 months to use the credit

Also, if we did the 7 day... we might spend a few days in seattle before the cruise... so it would probably be a 10 day vacation anyway... ack!! i'm so confused...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

First let me say, I am glad NCL came through for you. as we all know, not everyone is that lucky. I bet, not only did you have reason to receive a credit you also handled it well. That is my guess.

Now, which to take? Well, both are awesome cruises. I don't know your age bracket or how you feel about traveling with people of different ages, but the Alaskan cruise will have a younger group sailing. Both will be older than other cruises as school will not yet be out, but those who choose the canal are usually a much older group. Other than that, there is no one thing that I could say to swing you one way or the other. I will say, we did love the Panama Canal cruise. We loved Alaska also, but I think the Panama Canal sticks in our minds even more.

Nita

LegalCat.. I know you said you have to use the cert within 12 months. Can you use it to pay towards a cruise that is further out than 12 months?? If so.. check out a cruise we are looking into. Its a 14 day cruise, nov 1, 09 on the Dawn. Stops at come great places. Just a thought. It seems the rates are really pretty reasonable.

Gosh, I agree, tough decision! Out of all my cruises, Alaska stands out as the most majestic/spiritual/awe-inspiring/beautiful scenery. If you pick Alaska, you should definitely splurge and do a tour in every port. I remember salmon fishing, airplane flight over glaciers, canoe trip and glacier hike. This will cost you more but definitely worth the extra money. I have heard though, that the ports are becoming "Carribean-ish" (touristy) so you really need to make sure you do the tours that take you somewhat inland.

Now, if someone asked me what my dream cruise is...the answer (other than 54 day world cruise haha) is to sail through the Panama Canal. Sailing through the Panama Canal in a forward penthouse would be heaven. If you pick this trip, then you really really must brush up on your history regarding the construction. David McCullough's "Path Between The Seas" is a fascinating non-fictional account of how the canal was built. Truly amazing. I am biased however...everything about the canal was my favorite Latin American unit to teach.

Doing a one week Alaska cruise...you can do that anytime. Doing a 14 day cruise...well, you might not do it if you pick the Alaska one.

Good luck with your selection! What a fantastic dilemma you have!

coka

Do you have to book right away? I thought the Alaska prices seemed a little high - we booked last Jan for May and they were running $200 OBC as a special. If you want the Alaska cruise I think you can hold out for a better deal.

We did the Alaska cruise on the Pearl last month and loved it. We never would have considered it if so many cruisers hadn't recommended it as a once in a lifetime experience. It was! So much so, we want to do it again in the future. I can't speak to the Panama Canal; I haven't been there. But based on what I like, what other posters have said in the past; I would try Alaska first. It really is, well, a lifetime experience.

Hey Blackberbys!!!!!!! :)

long story with NCL... i dare not go into details in case they read here?? LOL... im so afraid of them changing their mind even though I have it in writing...

Hubby has been watching a lot of documentaries etc about the panama canal and thats why hes really interested... I agree that we can do alaska any time and also my family all wants to do alaska but cant do it in 2008... so I think we will leave that till later... there seems to be a LOT of choice with alaska but not so much choice with panama canal so we would probably end up with that cruise anyway...

The credits from NCL say that they must be used prior to the end of the 12 months... but its not entirely clear if the cruise must be taken or if the credits must be applied... what is definate is that once the credits are applied I cant get them back if I reschedule the cruise or anything... also they say that we can use a travel agent or NCL directly...

Now to confuse the situation even more... the price I am getting leaves us paying 3800 for a balcony cabin or 4800 for the lowest suite.... I feel like its a lot even though we have 1800 credit... that amount is AFTER the credit but includes the fuel supp, taxes, port etc... plus $500 for kennelling my dogs for two weeks... plus excursions and some spending money?? the cabin upgrade sale is on so we are getting the highest available balcony for the same price as the cheapest... so we cant "downgrade" for a lower price... I feel like for a 14 day cruise i dont want to do an inside or window.. i feel like a balcony is needed...... I'm torn on the between the balcony and the smallest suite which adds about 75 sq feet if I remember correctly also a slightly bigger balcony... I dont want to spend the extra 1,000 but it looks like there is a noticible size difference after looking at pics of both rooms... I dont know... plus airfare coming back from LA... this 1800 credit could easily cost us 6,000-7,000....

Now I'm thinking after spending all the money we spent on the honeymoon we would be better taking that 1800 and putting it on a longer caribbean cruise which goes to a lot of islands we havent been to yet ... for example the jewel has a 9 day caribbean that would run 3900 approx for a AG/AF suite so we would be out of pocket approx 1900.. that includes port, ins, fuel, etc. or 1535 if we did a balcony...

LOL i just told hubby and hes like... what? i thought we already agreed that i chose panama canal and you would do some magic wih booking it, LOL.. so we will see... argh! we would not even be discussing another cruise if it wasnt for the 1800... normally i give him at least 6 months after a 7 day before booking another cruise lol

Do you have to book right away? I thought the Alaska prices seemed a little high - we booked last Jan for May and they were running $200 OBC as a special. If you want the Alaska cruise I think you can hold out for a better deal.

We dont have to book right away, but the credits say they cant be used on a booking with other promotions etc.. so im not sure how much we will be able to do with them... we can use them with the current sale though which would give us the highest balcony for the cheapest price... although im wondering if that price is what the highest balcony would cost anyway, lol... so im not sure how much of a deal that is

OK hubby definately wants to do panama canal so looks like our mind is made up, LOL... he says we can do the caribbean any time and he would rather put the 1800 towards a more expensive cruise...

Now I guess my only question is, if I book now and the price goes down before final payment will they adjust the price or give us an OBC for the price diff? Either option would be fine but I hate to book now and then miss a potential lower price...

How did you get such a big credit? We were married on ncl last month and it was a disaster. We complained to the bulter the concierge and the head purser and all they did was give my husband and I each a 100 on board credit, that did not even make a dent in our bar bill, since we paid over 10,000 I thought I was due a heck of a lot more, how did you get such a big credit?

How did you get such a big credit? We were married on ncl last month and it was a disaster. We complained to the bulter the concierge and the head purser and all they did was give my husband and I each a 100 on board credit, that did not even make a dent in our bar bill.

I though since we paid over 10,000 I thought I was due a heck of a lot more, how did you get such a big credit?

Well everyone we settled on the panama canal... my family wants to do alaska as well but we have a little one in the family who is critically ill and not able to travel any time soon so they wouldnt be able to do alaska in 2009 so we decided to wait on Alaska for another year and hopefully they can all join us as well :)

Hey Blackberbys!!!!!!! :)

long story with NCL... i dare not go into details in case they read here?? LOL... im so afraid of them changing their mind even though I have it in writing...

Hubby has been watching a lot of documentaries etc about the panama canal and thats why hes really interested... I agree that we can do alaska any time and also my family all wants to do alaska but cant do it in 2008... so I think we will leave that till later... there seems to be a LOT of choice with alaska but not so much choice with panama canal so we would probably end up with that cruise anyway...

The credits from NCL say that they must be used prior to the end of the 12 months... but its not entirely clear if the cruise must be taken or if the credits must be applied... what is definate is that once the credits are applied I cant get them back if I reschedule the cruise or anything... also they say that we can use a travel agent or NCL directly...

Now to confuse the situation even more... the price I am getting leaves us paying 3800 for a balcony cabin or 4800 for the lowest suite.... I feel like its a lot even though we have 1800 credit... that amount is AFTER the credit but includes the fuel supp, taxes, port etc... plus $500 for kennelling my dogs for two weeks... plus excursions and some spending money?? the cabin upgrade sale is on so we are getting the highest available balcony for the same price as the cheapest... so we cant "downgrade" for a lower price... I feel like for a 14 day cruise i dont want to do an inside or window.. i feel like a balcony is needed...... I'm torn on the between the balcony and the smallest suite which adds about 75 sq feet if I remember correctly also a slightly bigger balcony... I dont want to spend the extra 1,000 but it looks like there is a noticible size difference after looking at pics of both rooms... I dont know... plus airfare coming back from LA... this 1800 credit could easily cost us 6,000-7,000....

Now I'm thinking after spending all the money we spent on the honeymoon we would be better taking that 1800 and putting it on a longer caribbean cruise which goes to a lot of islands we havent been to yet ... for example the jewel has a 9 day caribbean that would run 3900 approx for a AG/AF suite so we would be out of pocket approx 1900.. that includes port, ins, fuel, etc. or 1535 if we did a balcony...

LOL i just told hubby and hes like... what? i thought we already agreed that i chose panama canal and you would do some magic wih booking it, LOL.. so we will see... argh! we would not even be discussing another cruise if it wasnt for the 1800... normally i give him at least 6 months after a 7 day before booking another cruise lol

among our favorite cruises (not quite up at the top) are the ones that do several of the so Caribbean islands. It sound like you have hit upon something: I would book asap before they add anymore fuel charges or who know what else.

Hope you have better luck this time. I do not remember the details of you bad experience but do remember your posting.

Nita

Archived