Dialysis - elderly parents

Gemma10

Hi, I'm new here so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place! My parents are in their late 70s, my father is on hemodialysis (with a catheter) and they would llike a holiday. A cruise would seem a good idea but can anyone tell me which cruise ships/lines have hemodialysis facilities on board and sail from the UK please - sailing from the UK is important as they would not be able to cope with flying out to meet the ship, I would have to take them to board it. Thanks very much for any help. :)

Gemma

There is a program called Dialysis at Sea. Being a dialysis technician, this has interested me as a possible way to cruise and get paid, something I am interseted in trying after my daughter is at least in college.

Here is the website.

http://www.dialysisatsea.com/

It is my understanding that you dialize while at sea so that when you're in port, you can enjoy.

I've not had any patients go, so I don't know anythign for sure on it. Hopefully this website will help.

If you go under Europe cruises there are ones leaving from London, or are you looking more for a carribean cruise?

Is your father a candidate for PD? May be that is something he could look into, also. I'd imagine taking the machine on the ship might be a hassle, but it is something that can he can do on his own. Hemo is a bit more copmlicated.

http://www.dialysisatsea.com/cruises.aspx?dest=Europe

Oh thanks so much, I hadn't noticed that.:o

I can see several that look as if they could be good for them. No, Dad can't have PD, his only option (due to other health issues) is hemo through a chest line, but hopefully the cruise line can deal with this. I'm going to email them now. Once again thanks so much for your time and advice I really appreciate it :)

As long as he hasn't been having trouble with his cath., (infection, flow) then no, I don't see it being a problem going on a cruise.

wish them a good time for me!

Archived