Norway Sea and Land Wildlife????

I know this probably a stupid question but what kind of wildlife can we expect to see if we are sailing on a trip that includes the North Cape? I have read about Orcas but that is in the fall/winter. Are there humpbacks, etc.? I know about the reindeer on the North Cape but what about other animals such as bears, mountain goats, etc? Does it compare at all to Alaska as far as the wildlife spottings go?

I have just returned from a fjords/North Cape cruise. I think the answer to your question is going to depend in part by what time of year you will be there. Since I was there the last half of June, I saw lots of reindeer (& not just on the excursion to the North Cape out of Honningsvag). I saw very few moose, some sheep; but no goats or bears. As for sea life, I only saw dolphins. They told us we might see sea lions; but I did not.

I did sail Alaska a long time ago; but I did not do the land package up to Denali. So, in that respect, I cannot compare the wildlife I saw in Norway to what might have been there in the interior of Alaska. Maybe someone else can "compare apples to apples".

I have just returned from a fjords/North Cape cruise. I think the answer to your question is going to depend in part by what time of year you will be there. Since I was there the last half of June, I saw lots of reindeer (& not just on the excursion to the North Cape out of Honningsvag). I saw very few moose, some sheep; but no goats or bears. As for sea life, I only saw dolphins. They told us we might see sea lions; but I did not.

I did sail Alaska a long time ago; but I did not do the land package up to Denali. So, in that respect, I cannot compare the wildlife I saw in Norway to what might have been there in the interior of Alaska. Maybe someone else can "compare apples to apples".

Thanks for your reply. We haven't taken a land tour in Alaska either but we have seen tons of wildlife. We spend most of our time on cruises looking for wildlife, either on land or at sea and that is usually the highlight of our cruise (Not to mention the beautiful scenery). Our third trip this past May we finally saw bears and a single moose in Alaska so if you saw moose on your trip that will be a bonus for us. Did you see them on an excursion or from the ship as you were cruising the Fjords?? We have three cruises planned in the next year or so and are just now planning our Cruise to Norway for June of 2010. Never to early to start planning..haha

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom,

99% of the wildlife I saw was on tour. Most of this was from bus tours away from the port areas. I must retract my statement about the goats. Now that I've been editing my digital photos (cropping & enlarging), I did spot a few goats on a hillside while on a boat excursion. The dolphins were playing in the water alongside the ship.

I do remember seeing seals/sea lions hanging out on icebergs during my Alaskan cruise; & quite a few eagles soaring above. But don't remember anything else (that was over 15 yrs. ago). And you're right, it's never too early to plan a cruise. I'm ready to book as soon as they start accepting bookings. ;)

You won't see any bears (called ice bears in Norway) as they are long gone. I think my grandfather may have eaten the last one. Most of the land you will see from the ship will be either wild or farmed. Farms in unbelievable situations.

Reindeer further to the north.

Some wild birds but that depends on which are migrating.

Norway is much more civilized than Alaska. The farmers got rid of anything that competed for crops.

Archived