Is there a difference in Majahual Beach and Uvero Beach?

lrcruising

DH and I will also be in Costa Maya on Nov 23 (our 30th anniversary) on the Grand Princess and are wondering if the Costa Maya Beach Break excursion offered by Princess for $39 goes to the same beach as the Uvero Beach Boat Blast and Snorkel for $179 per boat (also offered by Princess)? We are looking for a nice, sandy beach with shady areas available for a relaxing day of swimming and lounging. The beach that brucejr has posted photos of in Mahahual looks pretty nice and would be much less expensive than the $39 excursion. Any thoughts???:)

Uvero Beach is exclusively for Cruise passengers and may only be booked through tour operators. Mahahual beach is the beach in the small village close by. It will cost 3 USD by taxi or bus per person to get there. Once there the beach is free to everyone. Just find yourselves a nice bar with some chairs on the beach and relax. The food in town is very good. After all this hectic lounging around you just grab a yellow cab in the town centre and go back to your ship for 2USD per person.

Uvero Beach is exclusively for Cruise passengers and may only be booked through tour operators. Mahahual beach is the beach in the small village close by. It will cost 3 USD by taxi or bus per person to get there. Once there the beach is free to everyone. Just find yourselves a nice bar with some chairs on the beach and relax. The food in town is very good. After all this hectic lounging around you just grab a yellow cab in the town centre and go back to your ship for 2USD per person.

This pretty much accurately describes what we did for our day in Costa Maya/Mahahual. It was excellent. Beers were $2, the food was reasonably priced and good. My son is still talking about the conch chevice we had. While some people might get their moneys worth with an "all you can eat/drink" excursion. I usually feel like I have to eat/drink all I can to get my moneys worth. I end up uncomfortably full, regretting having eaten so much. I prefer just buying only what we'll eat. In all, I think we spent less than $50 for everything for our family of 4 for the whole day.

In contrast to what MERIDITH said she experienced, we found a clean, sandy beach with clear water, just like my photos show. The town might be a bit rustic, but that was part of the charm and the people were friendly.

Thanks for the good advice. It sounds like Mahahual Beach will be just what we are looking for to relax, swim, and lounge around. From the advice on this board and photos posted, there seems to be enough shady places at Mahahual that those of us who don't want to risk getting sunburned will be okay. We plan to slather on the sunscreen but still worry about sunburn if we are out in the sun for 3-4 hours without any shade.

Of course there are bathrooms. There are bars and restraunts across the street from the beach.

Well thank you so much dave......I just wanted to be sure, considering a taxi driver told an online aquaintance of mine that there were none on that particular beach. Considering Mahahual is somewhat of a more isolated beach (off the beaten path, so to say) and not one of the beaches that excursions are booked on, I just wanted to hear from someone who was actually there. I didn't feel it was a silly question as you sort of insinuated it was considering this is a fairly young port stop. Thanks for taking the time to reply as I had no idea there were bars and restaurants across the street. My ship was slated to stop at Grand Caymen, so I'm scrambling last minute to find out all I can about the substituted Costa Maya as we leave in 2 1/2 weeks.

Of course there are bathrooms. There are bars and restraunts across the street from the beach.

Perhaps the question should have been "are there public restrooms?". Knocking on someones front door and asking to use their private facilities would not be comfortable.

Perhaps the question should have been "are there public restrooms?". Knocking on someones front door and asking to use their private facilities would not be comfortable.

Thanks Bobbiesu......I suppose I should have phrased it that way. I guess I just assumed it would be understood, that as a tourist, that is what I was inquiring about. I'm glad to hear there are indeed public rest areas close to the beach. I'm new to cruising, as this will only be our 2nd.

MiaSRN62

I thought it was a fair question myself. Just because there are bars and restaurants does not mean there are facilities, it isn't MickeyD's.

We will be going to Costa Maya in Feb. I'd love to hear back what you did while there and how you liked it.

Su

Ok I just had to throw in a cents worth.....there are always palm leaves you know!!

I am going to Costa Maya on the Grand on the 8th of Nov and was wondering all the same thing, only I will have no children with me but still need to use facilities on some occasions. It is good to know that something is available somewhere. Thanks all...:D

Great to know there is a free beach close to the ship... We will be on the Grand Princess the week of November 27th. My husband has difficulty walking more than a block or two at a time, and definitely has trouble on uneven surfaces (i.e., sand).

When you guys said there were restaurants/bars across the street, is the street close enough to the beach where, say, I could "park" him on a barstool, go snorkel/swim for a bit, then go back and have a beer? How much distance is it from the bars to the Town Centre where we would catch a taxi back to the ship?

Thanks for your willingness to share this information -- It makes it easier to plan our day without making uncomfortable mistakes!!!

Nancy from Hot Springs AR

We spent Christmas Day last year in Majahual with our kids - ages 6 and 9.

Just so there is no confusion, the Majahual beach is not a typical beach break type beach. It is exactly across the street from the small fishing village of Majahual. There are bars and restaurants in the village, but don't expect modern or clean facilities. My 6 year old daughter was appalled at the restroom we used. We got in and out REALLY fast. The day was a good experience overall, but don't go there expecting a resort atmosphere.

We went into town and booked a local snorkel excursion for not much money. We rode on an old boat that had to be jump started and it had an OLD banana boat behind it that some HAD to ride on b/c there wasn't enough room IN the boat! It was much fun since we were fairly close to shore and in no danger of being stranded at sea, but defintely not the most luxurious experience! Snorkelling was good but not great.

If we had it to do over, we would pick Uvero, but having never been there, I can't tell you if that is better or not!

Just reread the last post and decided I should add a few more comments.

When I say "village", I mean a few buildings across the street from the beach. As far as I know there are no other streets! It is a narrow street and you could probably holler over to hubby on the bar stool in between passing taxis. NO PROBLEM getting a taxi back. The whole town is pretty focused on cruise passengers while the ships are in.

It is a neat experience - very authentic Mexico - just not the pristine beach resort you'll find in other ports.

My husband and I went there on the Grand Princess about 2 years ago. We loved it. The people were friendly and laid back. It is pretty "rustic", but it is so different from all the other ports that it is really refreshing. It was just a cool place. Inexpensive and fun...my cup of tea. I have spent a ton of money on snorkel excursions, but the one with the banana boat was the best and it only was $23pp.For that $23 we got a banana boat ride and a 2hour guided snokel tour through the reef.In Grand Caymen they charge you atleast 50 dollars to see a bunch of beams in the water with about 10 fish in the harbor and call it a ship wreck.

Actually, we booked a cruise in Dec. on RCCL just because they are going to Costa Maya. You can also rent golf carts for $12 an hour to help you get around. Just a thought. Take Care

Archived