Portable car seats?

Lady_Jag

I found a Costco brand portable at Walmart a few weeks ago that goes down to 30 lbs. I'm not too worried about high ratings for such a short periods of time, but was happy to find these because my daughters are on the small side and most booster chairs are +40lb.

Before my cruise in December 2007 with my 2 year old DD I purchased the Eddie Bauer portable car seat online (Amazon I believe) for about $35. It is a 5 point harness seat with a maximum weight of 40 lbs. I see now that the same seat on Amazon is going for $138. I did see it elsewhere online for $39, but it appears it may be out of stock.

The seat was nice because of how compact it is. I was able to fold it up and put it in my backpack for pre and post airport travel. I would never use it for an everyday car seat, but it worked very well for traveling. Whatever seat you end up purchasing, I would recommend practicing installing it in your car a few times before the trip.

We also bought the Eddie Bauer one--I did a google search and found it for $35 with free shipping. It's rated down to 22 lbs. and is indeed very compact. Not for everyday use but I think it will be great on our trip this fall. It will be nice to have the flexibility to take taxis in port if we want to.

This is what I have

Ride Safer Travel Vest

A vest that comes in two sizes, Small 35-60 lbs, Large 50-80 lbs. The vest can be used with lap only belt. Requires top tether anchor & vehicle headrest. Retails for $89-$99. Great for 3 across situations in small vehicles! Tether strap HAS to be used if child is under 6 yrs old.

Yes this is more than the EB travel seat, but it tests way way better in crash tests. The link above is their site - check out the crash test videos an info there. I get more use out of it than just when we travel though as MIL uses it when ds rides with her. DS likes it too. :-)

hth

This is what I have

Ride Safer Travel Vest

A vest that comes in two sizes, Small 35-60 lbs, Large 50-80 lbs. The vest can be used with lap only belt. Requires top tether anchor & vehicle headrest. Retails for $89-$99. Great for 3 across situations in small vehicles! Tether strap HAS to be used if child is under 6 yrs old.

Yes this is more than the EB travel seat, but it tests way way better in crash tests. The link above is their site - check out the crash test videos an info there. I get more use out of it than just when we travel though as MIL uses it when ds rides with her. DS likes it too. :-)

hth

Wow, that's sounds cool, but my little one is only 25 pounds right now, and probably still won't be 35 pounds when we sail.

Archived