Stockholm - docking and transportation again

This is a copy of a thread I started last spring, for the old version of the CC board. With the new format it had become difficult to read so here it is again. When we get closer to the Baltic cruise season I will update such things as prices and departure times for the trains to Nynäshamn. It is too early to do this now, so be aware that all prices here now are for 2004.

The reason I started the thread was that the same types of questions regarding Stockholm seemed to be going around on several threads here, so I tried to write down some of the facts. The problem with short answers here and there is that they won’t give the full picture.

An example: if I answer the question “how much does a taxi from Arlanda airport to Stockholm city cost” (SEK 390), someone reading that answer may think the cost from Stockholm to Arlanda airport will be the same. It is not, it costs SEK 475.

So what I have tried to do is to give as full a picture as I can, with the relevant alternatives, and have it all at the same place.

First about docking

There are four main places where cruise ships dock in Stockholm. They are Skeppsbron, Stadsgården, Frihamnen and Nynäshamn. Be aware that the same ship does not always dock in the same place.

Skeppsbron is the quay of Gamla Stan (the Old Town). You can’t be more at the centre of town then here. You are only a few steps away from the Royal Palace.

Stadsgården is right in the centre of Stockholm in an area named Södermalm (the South). If you like to walk you will find Gamla Stan (the Old Town) well within walking distance.

Frihamnen is in a port area with little of interest nearby. But it is not far from the city centre. A taxi will take you there in around 15 minutes. There is a bus from Frihamnen to the city. It is a blue bus number 1 and leaves every 5-10 minutes during daytime. Leaving the bus at Stureplan and walking south from there, you will pass through the main shopping area and in direction towards the Gamla Stan (the Old Town), which is not very far away. If you don’t want to walk there is red bus number 46 from Stureplan to the Old Town. Should you wish to get from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum, take bus number 76 to Djurgårdsbron. From there it is a short walk across a bridge and to the museum. Or you can take bus 47 to get closer.

Nynäshamn is not in Stockholm at all but in a small town an hour’s journey south of Stockholm. From there you can take a train to the Stockholm Central Station. The train will take about an hour to get there.

To find out where your ship will be docking here is a link: http://www.stoports.com/ On the left side, click on “Cruise liner traffic” and choose” List of incoming vessels” – “Stockholm.” Then, when you get to the list of ships, at the top of the page where it says “Fartygslistor Vessel Calls” choose “Expected cruise vessels” and press view. This will get you the right list of ships. When searching for your cruise, be aware that dates in Sweden are given as YY/MM/DD.

About Stockholm Transportation

Stockholm is easy to get around on public transportation. There are buses and underground traffic. Most people in Stockholm speak English so don’t hesitate to ask for help to find the right place to catch the bus or where to get off.

As for renting a car and driving yourself, it is not a good idea unless you want to visit places outside Stockholm. I live in Stockholm, and wherever I go within the inner city I leave my car at home and use public transport. Taking the car is just a nuisance, you will get caught in traffic jams, and finding somewhere to park is not easy.

This is a link to the site where you can find information on public transport in Stockholm: http://www.sl.se/english/

To pay for the rides you can either pay on board (more expensive) or buy a prepaid coupon block. Travel within the inner city, valid for one hour, is two coupons which on board costs SEK 30 (as long as you stay within the hour you can change from one means of transport to another as many times as you want). A coupon block with 10 coupons costs SEK 80. A block with 20 coupons costs SEK 145. These blocks can be used by more than one person. So if you are two persons and count on travelling five times at different times during the day a 20 coupon block will cover your travel (2 people x 2 coupons x 5 times = 20) By buying a block you will save SEK 155. Coupon blocks can be bought at the underground station entrances and at many service shops that sell things like magazines and newspapers, fruit and candy etc.

There is also a 24-hour Stockholm transport card. This is a personal card and will take you on unlimited travel on buses, underground and local trains within Stockholm for 24 hours. Local trains include the trains to Nynäshamn for those who are docked there. The cost is SEK 95. Children under 18 and seniors over 65 pay only SEK 55 (photo ID necessary for the discounted cards). This card is sold in the same service shops as the coupon blocks, but not at the underground entrances.

There is the 24-hour Stockholm Card (not to be confused with the above transport card). Both cards give the same transport benefits, but the Stockholm Card will also include entrance to museums, and some boat sightseeing. This card can only be bought at certain transport centres and tourist shops. It can also be bought online. The cost for this card is SEK 260.-, children age 7-17 pay 100.-. Here is the link to this card: http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/TwoColumnSPListing___6456__EN.aspx?rpi=366

How to travel to or from the Arlanda airport

The main ways to get to the airport are taxi, train or bus.

Taxi

A taxi ride between the city and the airport takes 45 to 50 minutes, but can take a lot longer depending on the traffic situation. Taxi Stockholm, one of the bigger taxi companies in Stockholm, has set prices for travel to and from Arlanda. An ordinary taxi from Arlanda to the inner city (takes 4 passengers) costs SEK 390. If you need a bigger car the cost is SEK 585.

An ordinary car from the inner city to Arlanda costs SEK 475. A bigger car costs SEK 715.

There are other taxi companies that match these prices. But make sure before you enter any car. Unfortunately there are also an independent black taxi market that will badly overcharge.

Train

The Arlanda Express train is a very quick and convenient way to travel. The train has two stops right under the airport terminals. The ride to, or from, the Stockholm Central Station takes 20 minutes. The cost for a one-way ticket is SEK 180. Here is a link to the Arlanda Express site: http://www.arlandaexpress.com/en/ where you can find timetables etc. Outside the Central Station there are usually taxis waiting.

Bus

There are also airport coaches leaving outside the terminals. They will take you to the Stockholm Central Station, stopping twice on the way in, in about 40 minutes. The cost for a one-way ticket is SEK 89, so it is considerably less than the train. But it is also slower, more crowded and less comfortable. Here is a link http://www.flygbussarna.se/en/default.asp

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived