Cell Phones and Laptops

shellgoodman

My DH is curious if either his cell phone or his own laptop can be used at all on the cruise. We have never brought either on a cruise before. We know that a vacation is a vacation but there is a major reorg going on in his company and he needs to stay in touch. We did not anticipate this restructure otherwise we would have booked at another time but we're paid for and we're going.

We leave on the Conquest 11-28 for Montego Bay, Cozumel and with fingers crossed Grand Cayman.

If your cell provider uses GSM then your cell phone will probably work in all three locations.

You can access the Internet using your laptop if you have a wireless card and you are very near the Internet Cafe. I did this on the Glory in the summer (and will be again tomorrow) and it works very well.

Stu.

Have not tried gotomypc, but was on Conquest 9/26. My cell phone worked on and off down the Mississippi, and also at Jamaica and Cozumel. We didn't go to Grand Cayman.

I didn't use the phone though, because it would probably be pretty expensive. You can arrange with cell phone provider ahead of time to get better rates for certain countries, I have done this while travelling in Mexico before.

As long as you have Centrino or other wireless on your laptop, you can use it in Alfred's lounge, near the Internet Cafe. They have 1 desk in the Cafe set up for your laptop use also. Cost is $100 for 250 minutes. If you arrange for it the first day, you get 20 minutes free. A couple of days, the service was hit or miss, and it took me about 3 times longer than normal connections to get some work done.

Happy cruising!

Suzy

Go to My PC will not work through the computers because go to my pc requires:

1. A Fast Connection

2. It is a program that runs on a computer not a website

I have brought both. My GSM N-Gage works everywhere, but I hope you can write off your cellular bill, because I believe through cingular it is $0.75 a minute if your on their international plan which is $3.99 a month (must be enabled over the phone). $0.75 a minute times 100 minutes, you do the math lol. I have brought my laptop on many cruises, and have never had a problem connecting, expect speed from around 500-1000kbps online. About DSL speed or lower. Their wireless router does not work very far, basically in the bar next to the cafe, and the cafe it self. Internet rates are $0.75 a minute, but there are plans available, I believe you can purchase one with 250 Minutes for $100. Also, the ships phone is about $8 a minute. In Key West, it uses your regular minutes but in everywere else it uses the international calling rates. Also, if you travel down the coast of florida (like if leaving from port canaveral or something like that, you will get signal, on the higher decks all the till you are about 10-15 miles out of the coast of florida. If you cruise passes by cuba you will be able to get signal. All of these are only if you have GSM cell phone. GSM providers in the US are: Boost Mobile, Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Any prepaid with these companies is all GSM. Verizon and Nextel are CDMA and will not work internationally. Good Luck and enjoy yourself!

My Verizon phone worked in Cozumel.....if you know spanish!! I arranged for my mom to call at 4 when I knew we would be back on the ship and I received the call just like normal. You could call out if you knew spanish!!! Also it was 99 cents a minute...no roaming with my plan. Not bad to check on the kids!

Cell only worked, as another poster stated, to about 15-20 miles out of the Long Beach harbor. I have AT&T(whick works admirably in So Cal, Arizone and Vegas for nothing extra), but not GSM. :(

I used to take my laptop, but only to download all my digital pics so as to "freeup" space on my memory stick. I've since solved that by purchasing an additional 256 Meg stick so I don't run out of space EVER. :)

I used the puters in the library (open 24 hours) on the LEGEND and being frugal only purchased 100 minutes for $55, whereas I used up all that time and had to purchase another 100 minutes for another $55.

The next time I'll take the "full boat" (250 minutes for $100) and do it the first day to get the additional 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I was quite impressed with the puters and connection speed on the LEGEND. Not as fast as my 3meg broadband connection, but really surprised me. ;)

I also have a business to check up on and find e-mailing key people when the need arises quite adequate. However, when I cruise (last minute) its because I've already located a window in which I can get away and, more than likely, be free of any problems that require my presence. For emergencies (anything that would require me to end my cruise and fly home) I find checking my e-mail a couple of times a day works just fine. :)

Even a GSM cell phone may not work in Mexico, as they use different frequencies. Check to make sure that your cell phone is GSM and either dual or tri band. Tri band is the best as this will ensure you can access all frequencies.

Also, you may be able to avoid many of your local providers charges by having your local provider unlock your cell phone and purchasing a SIM while down in Mexico. This is basically a chip that gives you a Mexican telephone number, and has prepaid minutes. They are available all over the place in Mexico. When you return to the US, remove the SIM and reinsert the original one from your local provider

here's a link to an article with lots of good information.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/unlockingfaq.htm

You will have no problems at the ports on the Mexican Rivera side as long as you have a GSM account with someone like T-Mobile and a Tri-Band phone. Rates with T-Mobile are $.99 per minute.

Data on the GSM down there is spotty. In Cabo I was able to connect GPRS at about $3.99 per mb.

I have brought my laptop on many cruises, and have never had a problem connecting, expect speed from around 500-1000kbps online. About DSL speed or lower. Their wireless router does not work very far, basically in the bar next to the cafe, and the cafe it self. Internet rates are $0.75 a minute, but there are plans available, I believe you can purchase one with 250 Minutes for $100.

I used my wireless card in my laptop on the Pride with great success. I could write my emails in word, then just copy and paste when I connected. You can see the internet rates here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/138940757/138948276tiZIcJ

GSM providers in the US are: Boost Mobile, Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

I have GSM thru Cellular One.

I always lug my laptop and wireless card along. Connect to Internet download emails, disconnect. Read and reply at leisure. Then reconnect and send. Saves a lot of connect time. Also easier to upload and download files, if necessary.

Wasn't able to get a VPN connection to work on last cruise (Elation, Sept 2004) - darn. But they could still send email to numerous other accounts. Sometime speeds were ok, sometimes they were slower than dialup - never as fast as cable.

I take tons of pictures and save them all for later viewing and editing. Upload to laptop and call me paranoid, but sometimes also burn CDs (old laptop - no DVD) before erasing from the memory cards. Would be bad enough to have a hard drive crash, but I'll still have my photos!

My Sprint phone (tri-band - not GSM) seems to be able to analog roam just about anywhere. But in the US and Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands (reaching some of BVI), I have "free" Internet access.

1. A Fast Connection

YES "Go TO MY PC" works! I would be lost with out it. I have used it for hours on board at the internet cafe. It's important to my business to connect to my company's network and its great to connect to my PC at home. I have 4 video cams, I'm able to see our kids, video chat and see our family pets.

I think GoToMyPc has a free 2 week trial period, perfect to test out their service. Gotomypc will work fine with dialup, wireless connection. High speed is better.

Cellular one is owned by cingular I believe. They are what used to be cingular. So it is the same thing basically.

No, they are two seperate businesses. We even have several CellOne business here as well as seperate Cingular ones, and other providers. Thanks for the input.

1. A Fast Connection

YES "Go TO MY PC" works! I would be lost with out it. I have used it for hours on board at the internet cafe. It's important to my business to connect to my company's network and its great to connect to my PC at home. I have 4 video cams, I'm able to see our kids, video chat and see our family pets.

I think GoToMyPc has a free 2 week trial period, perfect to test out their service. Gotomypc will work fine with dialup, wireless connection. High speed is better.

Thanks

I thought it should.

Archived