Booking Specialty Restaurants on RCCL website?

We're booked on the Mariner 8/31/08 Eastern route and have noticed that there is an option on RCCL's website to book Chops and Portofino reservations; however, the function doesn't work.

Has anybody been able to use this function to book their specialty restaurant reservations or should I just wait and book as soon as I board, as I have in the past?

We're booked on the Mariner 8/31/08 Eastern route and have noticed that there is an option on RCCL's website to book Chops and Portofino reservations; however, the function doesn't work.

Has anybody been able to use this function to book their specialty restaurant reservations or should I just wait and book as soon as I board, as I have in the past?

Personally, I will continue to make my specialty restaurant reservations once I board the ship. Have never had a problem doing so in the past.

We were able to book Chops (going and returning) to Hawaii in October without any problems. I'd keep trying if I were you. Just FYI they will bill your credit card when booking a specialty restaurant.

Thanks for the replies! I just dug a little deeper and it appears that specialty restaurant bookings will open on July 10 for this sailing. This is a pretty neat feature! Now if only they would return to being able to access your Crown and Anchor points online. . .

Online reservations appears to be a pretty new feature (it wasn't available when we sailed the Mariner this past January) so maybe not many people know about it yet. I suspect you wouldn't have any problem booking once you got onboard but do it as soon as you get on the ship. Chops and Portofino fill up quickly for the week!

You have to wait until July 10th before they start taking researvations for MOS. At least, that's what it says when you click for the information about making those.

Folks who insist on doing it the old way might want to get familair with the new online booking.

Many of the prime reservation times are snatched up by online bookings.

According to the Chops manager on our recent cruise, there are no "holdbacks" for onboard bookings... we booked online for Chops and Portofino with the times we wanted (sailaway).

However, on embarkation day, we tried to book a second night at Chops and had to settle for a 9:00 p.m. reservation...

Be forewarned...

LL

Thanks for the replies! I just dug a little deeper and it appears that specialty restaurant bookings will open on July 10 for this sailing. This is a pretty neat feature! Now if only they would return to being able to access your Crown and Anchor points online. . .

Hmm, we leave on 8/31 on the Freedom, so I bet the bookings open up for us on 7/10 too. Thanks for passing that along!

Personally, I will continue to make my specialty restaurant reservations once I board the ship. Have never had a problem doing so in the past.

I'm only guessing, but I suspect 'never had a problem in the past' won't apply any more. Online booking is new and I bet it will fill up fast, and if they don't hold back some reservations, some people may find themselves SOL. I'm just guessing though. I intend to book online ASAP before my next cruise.

Hmm, we leave on 8/31 on the Freedom, so I bet the bookings open up for us on 7/10 too. Thanks for passing that along!

According to RCI's website, you should be able to make your online reservations for the 8/31 sailing of the Freedom now. Good luck!

Folks who insist on doing it the old way might want to get familair with the new online booking.

According to the Chops manager on our recent cruise, there are no "holdbacks" for onboard bookings... we booked online for Chops and Portofino with the times we wanted (sailaway).

However, on embarkation day, we tried to book a second night at Chops and had to settle for a 9:00 p.m. reservation...

Be forewarned...

LL

LL did you find this on your recent cruise? We are debating whether to pre book October.......one of our roll call posters said 7 to 7:30 was already booked on the 12th.........I figured they would hold back a certain number of reservations. Glad to hear different.......at least we know.....better get them booked.

Here is a question

Can you or how do you cross reference 2 other couples without one person paying for all 6???? One booking could cost me $150 for three couples.......and I know I'll get it back.....but it is an up front cost. If you can't do this, you would end up with 3 tables for two.......follow me???

Also if you try and book and your cruise booking shows you and your wife....can you even try to book for 6 to begin with?

We were able to book Chops (going and returning) to Hawaii in October without any problems. I'd keep trying if I were you. Just FYI they will bill your credit card when booking a specialty restaurant.

Your CC will be billed at the time of booking online? Is that refundable in the event of cancellation?

Be forewarned...

LL

While it makes no difference to me because I use my computer and will do it the "new" way, I feel sorry for the people who don't use them....they might not be able to eat in a specialty restaurant while on their cruise. It wouldn't hurt the ships to hold back a few tables. Those folks that use TA's might have to ask their TA to reserve a table for them.

Since they charge your CC when making your on-line ressies I bet there will be very few "no-shows". Anyone know if you'll be able to get a refund with an advance cancellation?

Anyone know if you'll be able to get a refund with an advance cancellation?

From the RCCL web site: Guest Cancellation Policy - Chops Grille & Portofino:

Cancellations made at least 10 days prior to boarding will be refunded in full to the credit card used for payment. Cancellations made within 10 days of boarding or after departure will be credited to your shipboard account. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD.

Do the specialty restaurants "hold back" some tables for those that book once they board the ship? It would really be a bummer to find that they were already booked up full before one even got on board.

Regardless of what a restaurant manager tells a customer you can be sure a certain amount of tables will be "held back" for on board reservations.

Thanks kewlguy. I could have looked that up myself.....senior moment I guess...:eek: ;)

A lot of people besides yourself have been asking the same question so I figured I would post the answer on here.

Here is a question

Can you or how do you cross reference 2 other couples without one person paying for all 6???? One booking could cost me $150 for three couples.......and I know I'll get it back.....but it is an up front cost. If you can't do this, you would end up with 3 tables for two.......follow me???

Also if you try and book and your cruise booking shows you and your wife....can you even try to book for 6 to begin with?

I booked reservations for my Dec. 14th cruise and just paid with my credit card. However, I am pretty sure that if gave me an option of using multiple credit cards.

I even got an email about specialty booking.

Royal Caribbean International®

Hi XXXXXXXX,

Your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation is sure

to be an adventure of a lifetime and, to make it even better, we have

some exciting information to share! Your sailing features our new

option to pre-reserve your onboard dining experience in our classic

specialty restaurants.**

Whether you'd like to enjoy fabulous steaks and seafood in our

classic steakhouse, Chops Grille,* enjoy a delicious Italian dinner

in an intimate setting at Portofino,* or try something new with our

Mystery Dinner Theater,* now you can pre-reserve your specialty

dining experiences, before you even board.***

By pre-reserving your specialty restaurant now, you can relax

knowing that you're all set to enjoy an unforgettable dining

experience once onboard.

Ready to reserve or need more details? Click Here or contact your

travel agent.

So get ready for the cruise vacation of a lifetime.

Royal Caribbean International

* Based on availability. Specialty dining surcharges apply.

** Specialty restaurants vary by ship. Some restaurants listed may

not be available on your specific vessel.

*** Guests may pre-reserve specialty restaurant dining online, up to

10 days before the sailing date. Reservations for specialty

restaurants may still be made onboard, based on availability.

Here is a question

I booked reservations for my Dec. 14th cruise and just paid with my credit card. Let me try and answer your questions.

1. Even though I used only one credit card, I am pretty sure that if gave me an option of using multiple credit cards.

2. I believe that you can make reservations for up to 6 people. I tried to book a party of 7 and the online system said that reservations for more than 6 persons had to be made on board.

3. You do have the ability to cross-link with other passengers. We are traveling with my in-laws and were able to link to them by knowing their reservation number and the last name on that reservation.

4. I got an email that said that reservations may be available onboard depending on availability.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

AC

Here is the email that I received.

Royal Caribbean International®

Hi XXXXXXXX,

Your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation is sure

to be an adventure of a lifetime and, to make it even better, we have

some exciting information to share! Your sailing features our new

option to pre-reserve your onboard dining experience in our classic

specialty restaurants.**

Whether you'd like to enjoy fabulous steaks and seafood in our

classic steakhouse, Chops Grille,* enjoy a delicious Italian dinner

in an intimate setting at Portofino* or try something new with our Mystery Dinner Theater,* now you can pre-reserve your specialty

dining experiences, before you even board.***

By pre-reserving your specialty restaurant now, you can relax

knowing that you're all set to enjoy an unforgettable dining

experience once onboard.

Ready to reserve or need more details? Click here or contact your

travel agent.

So get ready for the cruise vacation of a lifetime.

Royal Caribbean International

* Based on availability. Specialty dining surcharges apply.

** Specialty restaurants vary by ship. Some restaurants listed may

not be available on your specific vessel.

*** Guests may pre-reserve specialty restaurant dining online, up to

10 days before the sailing date. Reservations for specialty

restaurants may still be made onboard, based on availability.

• 2 weeks later...

It's best to book as early as possible. We made reservations for both Chops and Portofino for our Labor Day Mariner sailing. I booked the early on the first day (July 10) that online reservations became available and had to take my second choice of time slots for Portofino because my first chioce (8:00pm on the 2nd formal night) was already full!

I thought I saw that Navigator was going to be available on-line as of July 10th. The website still shows "no specialty restaurants available" for the Jan. 22, 2009 2-niter. Anyone book Portofino or Chops for Navigator cruises on any other dates?

Archived