Transpacific cruise, are we nuts?

On the last night of our wonderful Regent Mediterranean cruise my husband booked a 19 day Auckland to Los Angeles cruise on the Mariner (December 2009). This the the 7th and last segment of the 101 night Grand Asia Pacific Voyage. We got a really good deal thru Regent and the price is about what we paid for the 7 day cruise.

This cruise has around 12 days at sea. My husband will be 56 and I will be turning 50 on the cruise. I have done 2 transatlantic cruises on a large ship in my life (SS France). We love interacting with different people and different ages and I realize we will probably be amongst the youngest passengers, this is not a problem. I am concerned that we might be one of a few segment cruisers and I am concerned whether it will be harder to interact with fellow passengers. We really enjoy the passenger interaction and have kept up with many people from previous vacations and cruises. I am not concerned with filling up the days at sea, we like the enrichment classes and we are avid readers. It goes without saying we like good food! I am aware the gym is small but it will be okay for us.

The strengths of this itinerary for us is that we get to spend 2 days pre-cruise in Auckland and that we have several days in the Cook Islands and French Polynesia. The price was right. We also lead hectic lives and quite frankly to be able to spend days doing next to nothing appeals (with the huge plus that work will have a very hard time reaching us!). My husband is also trying to stall a knee replacement for a few more years and the ports we see seem more knee friendly than say the Med.

I would love any input from fellow travelers, especially those who have gone

on a similar itinerary this time of year. How was the weather? Neither of us are prone to seasickness but prefer not to be freezing with gale force winds.

I don't think you are crazy. I am jealous--wish we could do this trip but can't take that much time off work all together.

I would suspect that the world cruisers will be happy to have some new faces. I don't think you will bored at all.

You're crazy like a fox!

We did two transPacifics last year: FLL to Sydney in Jan-Feb of 2007 and AKL to LA in Dec - loved them both.

We love the ports and the restfull sea days where you can do as much or as little as you desire.

Jan-Feb weather was coolish until Easter Island, then warmed up. Dec. crossing on Mariner was mostly good weather but heavy rain in Moorea and Nuku Hiva.

We did the Navigator 26 day South Pacific a couple of years ago and it was the best cruise we've taken, never took a nap. There are plenty of activities plus you really get to know the staff and your fellow passengers. Sea days are great. We've sailed on the Navigator and Voyager twice each and going on the Mariner in August. Have fun.

We just did the Mariner Auckland to LAX December 2007.

Absolutely LOVED IT! Was so nice to have sea days. If you get bored it is your own fault. The cruise line has lots of on board activities and boy the naps were nice too.

Don't forget December is summer there. It was very comfortable in Auckland

then as you start heading North it does get warmer because you are getting closer to equator. As you get closer to LAX the temp does drop and lots of people were wearing jackets and not going outside much.

We would do this cruise again in a heart beat. Very relaxing.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe (7 day Eastern Caribbean)

02/15/03 Regent Paul Gauguin (7 day Tahiti)

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) 7 day Western Caribbean)

11/12/04 Regent Mariner (7 day Mexican Riviera)

02/15/05 Regent Diamond (7 day Southern Caribbean)

12/27/05 Regent Voyager (14 day Panama Canal. FLL to LAX)

01/09/07 Regent Mariner (12 day Segment #1 Amazon River)

12/03/07 Regent Mariner (19 day Auckland New Zealand to LAX)

03/11/09 Regent Navigator (12 day Western Caribbean)

12/02/09 Amadeus MS Amacello ( 12 day Europe land & river cruise)

We did this cruise last year also. It was one of our favorite cruises. Auckland was a great city and easily manageable. In addition, the island were fabulous and the entire cruise was a wonderful respite. Highly recommend the Maori experience in the Bay of Islands. Also the private cruise in Bora Bora on the Blue Lagoon in the Bayliner. It was so much fun.

In our opinion, Regent does sea days better than anyone else. The BBQs, daily activities and speakers were top notch and the days flew by. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We're on the Dec. 2008, Auckland to LA. Glad I don't have to wait another year . . . .we already have since we booked. All the responses got me excited all over again! Also curious as to the friendliness of the cruisers that have been on for the entire time.

Harbormaster:

John did not mention the party they and another couple were having

on the Bayliner in Bora Bora. We have pictures!! Around the Mariner they went having a little wine. LOL.

Jim, you're right. That Bayliner cruise was with the only guy I've ever seen drive the boat, cut up fruit, play the ukelele and buzz the Mariner all at the same time! We had a hoot! Would love to see your photos. We've got some video. Loved that cruise!

Hope you and Jan are well.

My understanding is that very few people do the full Grand Asia Pacific as opposed to World Voyages and, therefore, the majority of passengers on board will be segmenters.

Wayne

Question, please

How does the ship handle the heavy seas one sometime encounters on long sea vogages across the Atlantic and Pacific

We did a 17 day Venice to Ft. Lauderdale on the 100,000 plus ton Star Princess and the large ship handled the 20 ft swales with ease

How do Regent ships half the size do?

Archived