1st night in Dining Room

Bzygirl66

I honestly did my research before I posted this thread.

On the first night in the dining room the only thing that is NOT appropriate is jeans? The reason why I'm asking is that I plan on wearing jeans that day and have early dining. What happens if my luggage arrives late in the evening?

The smart thing to do is pack an appropriate outfit in a carry on. However, I would prefer not to do that if possible. Or eat at the buffett. (sigh)

Would I be an outcast if I wear jeans the first night? :confused:

You will have to carry a sign with you that says "LOST LUGGAGE".

You will also be hot.

But you don't have to worry. They let everybody in that night, even those in shorts.

But the Maitre d' will make a general statement about dress that first night.

Don't fret yourself unnecessarily about things that "might" happen. Very few people fail to receive their luggage by dinner time. This is so unlikely, it's not worth a moment's concern! And, everyone would understand if your luggage doesn't arrive that all you have to wear is what you have on. Happy cruising!

You might want to roll up something like a loose pair of slacks in a carry on. There is a real good chance your luggage might not arrive in time if you have early. That has happened to us of several occasions and we looked like something the cat dragged in the first time!

On the first night in the dining room the only thing that is NOT appropriate is jeans? The reason why I'm asking is that I plan on wearing jeans that day and have early dining. What happens if my luggage arrives late in the evening?

The smart thing to do is pack an appropriate outfit in a carry on. However, I would prefer not to do that if possible. Or eat at the buffett. (sigh)

Would I be an outcast if I wear jeans the first night? :confused:

You're on vacation; don't worry about the small stuff. 0518.gif You won't be an outcast if you wear jeans in the dining room! Chances are your luggage will arrive in plenty of time to change for dinner. Mine always has. But, if it it didn't I wouldn't hesitate to wear jeans to dinner, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

However, depending on your departure port, you might be uncomfortably warm on deck in your jeans. FYI, the dining room & show rooms are almost always cold, so the jeans won't be too warm there.

I agree that your biggest concern should be whether or not you'll be too hot in your jeans. And that will depend on where you're leaving from. We embarked in SanJuan, so to say it was hot would be an understatement. We've also an upcoming DCL cruise over Halloween, and plan on packing lighter clothes in our carry-on, since we'll most likely leave OH in jeans and jackets. Other than the temperature, don't worry about what you're in for dinner that first night, just enjoy.

You'll be fine in jeans on the first night! Don't worry about it. And as to the "you'll be too warm" comments, I've got to say that you MIGHT be too warm while you're traveling....but jeans will NOT be excessively warm onboard. In fact, I always carry a sweater to the dining room because I find the room too chilly for comfort. On a guess, I'd say they probably keep it cooler so that the waiters (who hustle and bustle all evening) and the male passengers (who tend to wear suits with jackets or sportcoats) are comfortable.

Again, if you don't get your luggage in time to change, just wear the jeans and don't let the fuddy-duddies who may look askance at you ruin your evening!

What Cotton said. ;) We'll probably travel in our jeans since we're flying in the day before. That gives us the opportunity to change into something right for the temperature before we board the ship. We'll either wear something that will double for dinner or pack something in our carryon in case the luggage doesn't arrive before our early seating. :)

I will be leaving all jeans at home. It helps me get in the tropical mood to dress casually, but jeans don't fit in that equation for me.

Betsy, I agree. I don't join in the 'jeans in dining room' threads, but in general, I can't understand jeans on a cruise. Cruise - Islands - Tropical - Breezy - Lightweight - Casual/smart casual...somehow just doesn't bring to mind 'jeans'.:rolleyes: Now, I love jeans, and wear them all the time at home....but no, not on a cruise.

Have you ever seen a cruise commercial or any cruise documentary or Travel Channel show that had folks in jeans? No.

Well, from the other boards, you'd think guys would be following them with buckets of water.:eek:

Just so it isn't ice water! And please take out the beer before dumping the bucket of water over that undershirt wearing woman! :D

Thanks Cotton,

I am almost packed w/less than 3 weeks to go. I bought all my clothes at the 75% off summer sales. Got Carribbean Joe shirts for hubbie & myself, & lovely skirts & light summer dresses, so I just need for the days to tick away & I will be taken on my fabulous getaway. Have been planning this anniversary celebration for over 6 mos & it can't come quick enough for me.

I'll never forget the night I saw my daughter's boyfriend

(which she's since lost) in the dining room on RCCL

in overalls.

He was 37 years old and should have known better.

Of course I never said anything then or later

but I have the photos and it never ceases to

amaze me...

Why should it matter what you have on in the dining room. I am pretty sure that what the person is wearing next to me is NOT going to effect the taste of my food. If someone gives you a weird look just because of the clothes that you are wearing...tell them to go and *censorship* themselves!

Just my two cents!!!

P.S. Sorry if this post sounds mean....it is 3:30am, and I just got home from a pretty hard day at work.

Dear LSU policeman:

Since you just worked until 3:30 in defense of our safety

of course you are right.

Of course it should not matter what someone else is

wearing in the dining room when you are on your vacation

on a cruise ship.

Or what anyone else is wearing if you go to a buffet

with your family at night or on a weekend at a

restaurant near your home.

Thanks for putting this in perspective for all of us.

Why should it matter what you have on in the dining room. I am pretty sure that what the person is wearing next to me is NOT going to effect the taste of my food. If someone gives you a weird look just because of the clothes that you are wearing...tell them to go and *censorship* themselves!

Just my two cents!!!

Say one of your colleagues has fallen, on the job, and for the funeral service, you are expected to wear your uniform, and you show up in plain clothes, does it matter to your fallen colleague?

No.

Will it affect the service? And what will the others do?

Archived