cell phones

dsmini

Was on the 6/15 Dawn sailing to Bermuda. My cousin used her cell phone everyday for very long conversations (VERIZON). I have Verizon too and my phone said "roaming" she insisted there is no extra charges for roaming. I CAN'T WAIT TILL SHE GETS HER $1,OOO phone bill. She was on the phone 4 or 5 different times a day for as long as 45 minutes each call...........

From the nextel website, these phones should work in Bermuda at $1.99 per minute--v60, P280, V555, V505, V180, i920, i930

The Sprint side of the website didn't list bermuda as a possibility. They may not have a roaming agreement there, but the signal is there because Verizon offers roaming there.

MAC

On the Verizon Website, the cost for international roaming was $2.49 on the cruise ship and $1.99 in Bermuda. Are there phones in the cabins that you can use to call other cabins? Can you call long distance from the cabins using a calling card?

No - No - No

Do not make calls from the ship. I think it is something like $5-$7 a minute. Even calls to a 1-800 numbers will cost that much.

You can make room to room calls though.

anyone know what cell phones will work in bermuda? i have nextel will it work

Your NEXTEL phone should work. Here's some links to various CELL providers International roaming information.

AT&T Wireless/Cingular

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming_drop_down.jsp?PIDL=IRSD|IRWT

To "save" money with AT&T you can sign up for their "World Traveler" plan for $5.99 per month. You would need to talk 15-25 minutes while in the foreign country to start seeing the savings.

Nextel/Sprint

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/internationalroaming/Search.jsp

From Sprint/Nextel's website:

International roaming charges are billed as separate minutes of use. These minutes do not pull from your regular monthly plan minutes. When checking voicemail, per minute airtime rates apply. It can take 30 to 60 days before international roaming usage appears on your invoice.

T-Mobile

http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

Verizon

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

For non-cell phone users; NCL uses "SeaMobile" for their ship-to-shore telephone service.

This web-link is for incoming phone calls. It is good for looking up most cruise lines.

They charge $7.95 per minute, with a maximum of 10 minutes per call ($79 for ten minutes).

Most carriers charge about $2.50 per minute while the ship is at sea ($25 for those same ten minutes).

http://www.seamobile.com/market_solutions/ship_numbers.aspx

Enjoy your cruise. Our Cingular phone worked there last year with no problems.

Ok so what about me? :) I would love to be able to call my hubby and kids at home, to let them no how much fun I'm having---ahem, I mean to let them know I love them!:D thanks for any help anyone can provide-Deb

Was on the 6/15 Dawn sailing to Bermuda. My cousin used her cell phone everyday for very long conversations (VERIZON). I have Verizon too and my phone said "roaming" she insisted there is no extra charges for roaming. I CAN'T WAIT TILL SHE GETS HER $1,OOO phone bill. She was on the phone 4 or 5 different times a day for as long as 45 minutes each call...........

I used my Verizon phone all over the Caribbean, without making any special arrangements with Verizon...and I NEVER got a HUGE bill...and believe me, I'm a BIG user of my phone. I sent text and used voice. I used it on the ship and off the ship.

Yes...it is more expensive...but it never went anywhere near putting me in the poor house.

I was in Bermuda in April....here is what worked

Verizon Wireless - YES Set up for international service prior to leaving with the carrier

Sprint / Nextel HYBRID PHONE - Cell Yes, in Bermuda - Direct Connect NO

Nextel Phone - Did not work at all - No Phone or Direct Connect

I hope this helps you.

I believe no matter what service provider you use, all ships are with Cellualar At Sea and the charge is $2.49 per minute while on the ship. Costs when off the ship depend on your plan coverage and your providers fees.

Regarding voicemail, that can really vary from provider to provider. I have Verizon and if someone called me and left me a voicemail, I was not charged by Verizon unless I called to receive the voicemail. If I did, then I was charged the $2.49 per minute if on the ship or international rate for whichever country I was in. I loved it cause I could keep my phone on if anyone at home needed to contact me. I could look to see who was calling (in case of emergency) and not worry about being charged for them leaving a voice mail if it was someone I didn't need to speak with immediately. A warning though, all cell phone companies don't work like this. My daughter's company would charge her if her voice mail picked up to take a call. So it's best to check your company's policy.

Regarding texting, that too depends on your providers costs, but is generally much cheaper then calls. We had a group of 13 on our last sailing and used texting to keep in touch while on board and in ports. Cost with Verizon was $.50 to send a text and $.05 to receive one. Very ecomomical for keeping in touch. Just remember that it is international texting and those back at home will get the same charges on their bill. So warn the kids not to go crazy texting their friends as both you and the friends parents might be in for a not so nice surprise when the bills come in, considering how much kids text each other. The charges will be applied no matter what your texting plan. Even unlimited is charged when it's an international text.

Archived