Train schedule from Kiel to Lubeck

Here is local information.

Schleswig-Holstein has a new price system for public transport. The Länderticket may not be the best option for you.

First, the schedule:

Kiel Hbf (main station - near cruise terminal) to Lübeck Hbf (main station) departs 8:04, 8:44, 9:04, 9:44 and so on Monday to Friday. The 8:04, 9:04 and so on is a slow train which takes 1:28 hrs, the 8:44, 9:44 and so on is a faster train but still classified as a regional train (important for your ticket) and gets to Lübeck within 1:08 hrs

Back to Kiel from Lübeck Hbf 14:06, 15:06 and so on (faster train) and 14:28, 15:28 and so on (slower train)

Second, the price:

one way is 18,50 € but a day ticket is 30,90 € and gets you to Lübeck and back all day as often as you want. The ticket includes Lübeck city busses for the day. If you are 2 up to 5 persons I´d suggest you buy a Kleingruppenkarte. This is a group day ticket for up to 5 persons valid from 9 AM all day and the price is 36,10 € for the ticket (not per person - it is the price of the ticket). Please note that this is only valid from 9 AM so you can´t take trains before 9 AM. And you must validate the ticket by signing the names of the travellers on the ticket.

Thank you very much AntjeG for your information, I wasn't aware of the Kleingruppenkarte Ticket. As we have very limited time on the day we would prefer to take the 8:44 train from Kiel. It is still possible to buy an additional one-way ticket for each of us to cover our travel until 9am (Kiel to Preetz) and then use the Kleingruppenkarte Ticket to cover the rest of our day's travel? If so, then do we validate the ticket to Preetz when in Kiel and to validate the Kleingruppenkarte Ticket we only need to sign our names or do we have to also validate it in the machine at Kiel Station?

The 8:44 train leaves Preetz exactly at 9 AM so the Kleingruppenkarte will be valid from there.A single ticket from Kiel to Preetz is 4,75 €. Train tickets do not have to be validated (except day tickets by signing your names).

The ticket vendor machines at the train station "speak" English. There should be a button with the British flag on. If you press that the machines switch to English. Credit cards are accepted.

Btw, Kleingruppenkarte is valid for the city busses in Lübeck also. So if you walk downtown and are tired and want to take the bus back to the train station just enter a bus and show your Kleingruppenkarte to the driver. All busses which run downtown stop at "ZOB/Hauptbahnhof" which is across the street from the train station. You should ask the driver if the bus is in that direction or opposite. The German word for train station is "Bahnhof". There are also signs at the bus stops which tell you the next stations. If you don´t find "ZOB/Hauptbahnhof" just cross the street and take the bus from that side.

The 8:44 train leaves Preetz exactly at 9 AM so the Kleingruppenkarte will be valid from there.A single ticket from Kiel to Preetz is 4,75 €. Train tickets do not have to be validated (except day tickets by signing your names).

The ticket vendor machines at the train station "speak" English. There should be a button with the British flag on. If you press that the machines switch to English. Credit cards are accepted.

Btw, Kleingruppenkarte is valid for the city busses in Lübeck also. So if you walk downtown and are tired and want to take the bus back to the train station just enter a bus and show your Kleingruppenkarte to the driver. All busses which run downtown stop at "ZOB/Hauptbahnhof" which is across the street from the train station. You should ask the driver if the bus is in that direction or opposite. The German word for train station is "Bahnhof". There are also signs at the bus stops which tell you the next stations. If you don´t find "ZOB/Hauptbahnhof" just cross the street and take the bus from that side.

Thank you so very much for helping me to understand with the extra details you've given. :)

As your port time seems to be limited may I suggest you go to Lübeck by train. After exit the train station you cross the street. There is a tunnel with a sign "ZOB" on it (ZOB is the main bus station). Walk to ZOB and take any bus which stops at "Fegefeuer". It is a 10 minutes ride instead of 25 minutes walk. Fegefeuer is next to the cathedral. You can then do your sight seeing downtown and end your walk at the medieval city gate "Holstentor". This has a bus stop near by which gets you back to ZOB in 2 minutes (or you walk 5 minutes to the train station from there).

additional info about ticket vendor machine:

I just checked the one at Lübeck main station. The Kleingruppenkarte is quite hidden (perhaps because it is a good price and they only want you to find the more expensive tickets). This is how you do it:

1. Press button with British flag on it (at the bottom of the screen) - languages switches to English.

2. press button "transport association" (at the right lower corner of screen)

3. enter destination (there should be a list at the left side of the screen which also offers Lübeck Hbf. If not, type Lübeck)

4. press day ticket

5. select "small group day ticket"

6. select "pay"

For the single tickets from Kiel to Preetz go back to the main menu, select Preetz as your destination, single fare. There should be a button which allows you to select how many tickets you need. If you don´t find that just by the tickets one by one.

Here is a thread with some more info on Lübeck on your own:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2464864

additional info about ticket vendor machine:

I just checked the one at Lübeck main station. The Kleingruppenkarte is quite hidden (perhaps because it is a good price and they only want you to find the more expensive tickets). This is how you do it:

1. Press button with British flag on it (at the bottom of the screen) - languages switches to English.

2. press button "transport association" (at the right lower corner of screen)

3. enter destination (there should be a list at the left side of the screen which also offers Lübeck Hbf. If not, type Lübeck)

4. press day ticket

5. select "small group day ticket"

6. select "pay"

For the single tickets from Kiel to Preetz go back to the main menu, select Preetz as your destination, single fare. There should be a button which allows you to select how many tickets you need. If you don´t find that just by the tickets one by one.

Here is a thread with some more info on Lübeck on your own:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2464864

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with the details. I know I wouldn't have chosen the 'transport association' and so you are right that it's difficult to buy the better ticket. Looking forward to our visit to your unique and interesting town.:)

You are welcome. I had to buy train tickets for myself so it was no big extra to switch the machine to English and see what it offers to our English speaking guests.

I enjoyed my visit to your unique country 2 yrs ago very much and I met many helpful and friendly people. Time to give something back!

Btw, many people here speak at least a little bit of English as we do have many tourists from all over the world (mainly the Scandinavian countries) here. If you need information or so just ask somebody on the street. You may find that fewer elderly people speak English but most who are younger than 60 learned English at school.