fireworks.

I am going to a firework display tonight and am trying to figure out what settings to beginin with to best capture the fireworks. This will be the fist time I have used the manuel settings. I will be using a Pentax K10D I am guessing I will use me 70-300mm lense. What setting will I use as far as shutter speed and all for the best pictures. I know you might not be able to give me an exact, but if you can give me a jumping off point. Thanks, in advance.

Wider is better unless youare a long ways away. Take the wide along. I think you'll use it more.

Does the K10D come with a remote release? clicking the shutter, even on a tripod, can jiggle the camera enough to blur the foreground. If you just want the sky-burst, you may not need to worry about it.

Set your camera on a tripod and focus it on a distant lit point (about as far as the fireworks) than turn off the AF so focus doesn't "hunt" when you press the shutter in the dark. Time your release for when the shell is launched and start with about 5s at f/8, ISO100. You may get a couple of bursts in it, but that's ok. If you want to only get one, shorten the exposure (takes better timing on the shell.)

This was taken from about 2 miles away with a 200mm lens. 10s - f/8 - ISO100:

large.jpg

Go have fun!

Dave

Thanks for the help. I feel like so intimidated by doing anything but the auto focus. I am going to start off with my 55mm lense because we are going to be sort of close. I am also going to get my tri pod out. I got it for Christmas and haven't even got it out of the box. I will let you know how it turns out.

IMGP1458.JPG?imgmax=912Dave thanks for the advice you gave on shooting fireworks. I learned a lot. The first thing I learned was to always take a flashlight with you. I am glad I already had my settings in my camera. I should of also known more about my tripod. I am going to play with it some more before I try to take it out and use it again. Also next year I will be a lot futher away. I am thinking that next year I will take my truck and take pictures back there. I now know that when taking pictures of fireworks it is best to get the entire sky. I am sure I will do better next time. I took over 1000 pictures and about 20 were worth keeping. It did expire me to get my camera out again today and to out in the woods. Thanks again

IMGP1458.JPG?imgmax=912Dave thanks for the advice you gave on shooting fireworks. I learned a lot. The first thing I learned was to always take a flashlight with you. I am glad I already had my settings in my camera. I should of also known more about my tripod. I am going to play with it some more before I try to take it out and use it again. Also next year I will be a lot futher away. I am thinking that next year I will take my truck and take pictures back there. I now know that when taking pictures of fireworks it is best to get the entire sky. I am sure I will do better next time. I took over 1000 pictures and about 20 were worth keeping. It did expire me to get my camera out again today and to out in the woods. Thanks again

Good for you! I'm glad you got some keepers. That learning curve was so much more painful back in the film days!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Hey,

There's no photo there.... I'm so looking to see what you were able to get. Fireworks has always aluded me too......

• 2 weeks later...
I have a rebel xti, so to catch pictures of lightning stikes do I use the same settings as for fireworks?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum.:)

That's a good place to start. Set at ISO 100, f/8 or thereabouts and expose for about 10-30 seconds (assuming darkness). If the lightning is close, you may have to stop down to f/11 or farther. Don't forget to focus manually on a distant object since autofocus will be useless in the dark.

Here's an interesting site if you get deeply into lightning and want to invest in specific equipment: http://www.lightningtrigger.com/ (Keep in mind that the settings mentioned there are recommended for use with their lightning sensing trigger).

Dave

thank you for the quick reply. We're in for a stormy weekend and I may be the only one looking forward to it. I used your photos for settings and got some pictures of ships interiors without using a flash that I would never have thought possible. thanks again.

Archived