naples question

I am going on Princess, sept. 11, 2008. I am going crazy picking out the Naples excursion. I want to see Pompeii, and Capri. One of the tours goes to Positano, Capri, and Pompeii. The other goes to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. Is Positano better to see than Sorrento? The Positano tour is much more than the tour that goes to Sorrento. Any suggestions?also I hear the bus ride is scary getting there!!

Positano is much more spectacular than Sorrento, but tour buses are not allowed to enter as the streets are far too narrow. So make sure that your excursion actually stops at Positano and doesn't drive on. The Amalfi Coast road is narrow and can become very congested, but the drivers are experienced so I would not worry. I am sure it will be one of the highlights of your cruise. Positano, even from a distance, is worth seeing.

Unfortunately time is limited when visiting Naples, there is so much to see. Read the tour information carefully. I would pick a tour that includes the Amalfi Coast, possibly with lunch and ends with a tour of Pompii. Remember these tours are limited on time so know in advance what you want to see. The idea is to be so impressed that you want to come back. Tim

The other poster is correct in saying that the streets of Positano are very narrow so buses can only go to a certain point.

Make sure the tour allows you to spend some time walking around Positano - it is a beautiful place. Sorrento is lovely but not nearly as charming as Positano.

The drive isn't really too scary - the scenery is not to be missed.

Archived