Questions about Florida

brazilgirl

We will be cruising on the Mariner of the Seas at the end of November (30th to be exact).

Our flight from Brazil will be landing in Miami and we plan to then drive to Orlando and stay there for a couple of days before the cruise. To be exact , we will arrive 1 pm on the 28th. The cruise leaves from Port Canaveral on the 30th.

The cruise ends on Sunday the 7th at 7 am . We will be going back to Brazil on the 9th at the end of the afternoon (4:30).

Questions-

What is the drive from Miami to Orlando like? Is it straight there on an easy highway or is it complicated? Is it a pretty drive? How long exactly?

We´d like to visit Disneyworld at least one day- what is the absolute best part of the park? My kids are 4 ,8 and 11. The 8 and 11 yr olds have been to Disneyland in California , but they were both really little. We will do a more extensive park vacation in the future , but want to take advantage of the fact that we will be there now.

Any other suggestions about the region or planning ideas?I currently live in Brazil and really am not familiar with Florida.

While we are on the subject of planning , any can´t miss excursions or things to do in Labadee , Cozumel , Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios?

Last question! Is the Mariner nice? Love to hear from anyone who has cruised on her!

Thanks..

Kim

WOW! What a fun trip you have planned.

Some details for you:

Walt Disney World is composed of 4 themeparks: Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. For your best "authentic" Disney experience, you should visit the Magic Kingdom so you can see the Christmas decorations, the beautifully-lit Castle, ride the classic rides like "It's A Small World, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, etc...

For excursions, don't miss the following:

Grand Cayman--swimming with the Stingrays

Ocho Rios--climbing Dunn's River Falls

Head over to the "Ports of Call" forums on this website and you will find lots of port-specific info and tips.

Have fun!

CeleBrat

Hi Brazilgirl, I live in SE FLorida, and know from experience you want to drive on the FLorida turnpike all the way to Orlando. It is the best way to go, less traffic than interstate 95 and they also have rest stops where you can get food, bathrooms, gas etc. I would defintely say Magic Kingdom for the children. As was stated everything will be decorated for Christmas and just beautiful

Labadee is the beach and water things to do that Royal Caribbean uses. It has many things to do, a BBQ for lunch, not a place that you will be able to tour.

Grand Caymen, is very crowded, and not sure with 4 little ones, but I would talk to the tour desk on board ship, they will probably know better what would be good for little children.

Same with Ocho Rios, the climb on the Dunns river Falls is not for the 4 year old for sure. the rocks are slippery and you will be having enough problems to keep your self up. Much less taking 3 children.

Cozumel is also another very popular place, and if there are more than 3 ships in that day there will be lots of crowds. As I have suggested, either do a lot of reading and ask questions on the family board and on the ports board.

The ship is fabulous, very big, but so much orthe children to do and see. I think they will be thrilled. Do not miss the ice show on board. Get the tickets as soon as they say they are avaialble it fills up fast. Bring a sweater, remember its cold from the ice in the show. If you can get to have seats right in the front, they might pick your children to ride in their parade on the ice. Always fun for the children.

I think this covers it. Anymore questions you can email me, and I will try to help you. fllady13 at yahoo dot com

:)

Will definitely choose the Magic Kingdom.

I have already chaecked out the Ports of Call boards and am currently trying to decide what to do on each island.

So far I am leaning towards the following-

Labadee- just hangout , swim etc

Ocho Rios- I´d like to visit Dunn Falls but now am concerned about the 4 yr old. Has anyone taken a 4 yr old there? I´d also like to visit the caves as my 8 yr old would love them.

Cayman- I think I will go on the Rum and Ray (name?) tour with Nativeways tour company-it visits Stingray City and Rum beach.

Cozumel-Dolphin Encounter

Fllady -your info is great.How long is the drive from Miami Intl to Orlando? And from Orlando to Port Canaveral?

Has anybody visited the Titanic Museum in Orlando?My kids love the Titanic and I´d like to know if it is worth visiting.

Thanks...Kim

Kim,

Magic Kingdom is pretty comparible to Disneyland - a lot of the same attractions/rides, although it's plenty different too so if you worried about it being too much the same as what you've already experienced:)

I agree Dunn's Falls in not an excursion for a 4 year old! I did that excursion with my hubby a couple of years ago and it was tough. Very slippery and in some places the water was up to my shoulders in depth (I am 5'4). You may be better off with a beach break of some type.

In Cayman, the Stingray City was fantastic and the water is very shallow. I think kids would love it. Very pretty boatride and lots of fun. Cozumel - we did the beach and it was ok. Not the best beach, but still fun.

We have never been to the Titanic Museum, but I bet it's excellent - everything in Orlando is great!!! It's our favorite place to visit.

We personally like Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Sea World and Islands of Adventure. I am not a fan of Epcot or the MGM Studios. We were in Florida last November and Disney looked awesome with all of the decorations. They have a superb Christmas Store in front of Cinderella's castle.

The drive from Miami to Orlando is an easy one. We have taken both routes. The Turnpike is a toll road... sorry I don't remember how much it cost but I think it was around $30 in total. We prefer the interstate. The worst part of the drive is getting out of Miami. That place is a nightmare to drive in. Orlando is a breeze! The drive to Port Canaveral is about 40 minutes (I think). It's straight East so not hard to do.

Hope this helps.

Have a great trip!

Thanks so much-I just eliminated one of my problems .I got a great deal on a flight to Orlando , so won´t have to drive from Miami. (before I could only find very$$$$ flights)

Thanks so much!

Is it possible to visit the Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom in one day?I was thinking of spending half day in one and returning to the other in the evening after resting at the hotel.Good or bad plan?

Kim

Thanks so much-I just eliminated one of my problems .I got a great deal on a flight to Orlando , so won´t have to drive from Miami. (before I could only find very$$$$ flights)

Thanks so much!

Is it possible to visit the Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom in one day?I was thinking of spending half day in one and returning to the other in the evening after resting at the hotel.Good or bad plan?

Kim

Glad that you were able to get a flight to Orlando. That takes a lot of stress off, especially with 3 children.

Animal Kingdom is great for the little children, and if you want to do both :rolleyes: I would do the Animal kindom first, there is a lot of walking and winding paths there, so put on good walking shoes. Any chance of getting a stroller for the little ones, would make it easier. Not sure how late the Animal Kingdom is open, but seeing it in the day light would be my choice then if the children are up to it, do the Magic Kingdom and then you can see the fireworks later on in the evening. As for it being too much, personally I think it would be, especially if it is a hot day. You know your children the best, so I leave that choice to you!!:D

AK is usually only open from 8am-5pm so if you're going to try and do both, do AK first then MK. I think it's a lot for one day though. You might be too tired to really enjoy the other park. Plus, I am not sure you can get a park hopper for just one day so you may have to buy two one day passes for each park. I could be wrong, You may be able to get a 1 day hopper at the gate but I'm just not sure about that as I've never tried it myself.

I would advise against trying to do two parks in one day, if one of them is the Magic Kingdom. I think it would be too much, especially with younger kids.

The upside is that you are going at a great time of year. The weather should be fairly mild, and the parks won't be so crowded right after Thanksgiving.

As for the drive from Orlando to Port Canaveral, it is EASY. Should take about 45 minutes to an hour (at the most). Just get on state road 528 east. I grew up in Cape Canaveral about a half mile south of the port, and worked at Disney for two summers during high school. I can make that drive blindfolded.

Have a great time!

You all have been really helpful...

I will analyze the kids´energy levels and make a decision. I wasn´t aware that a different pass was required for each Disney park . I´ll have to read up on it.

Regarding the ice show on the Mariner , can you reserve tickets as soon as you board the ship? It sounds lovely.

Kim

When we were on Mariner OTS 2 years ago, we couldn't get the tix until they announced it. Make sure to read all the paperwork that comes to your cabin, usually its listed in them.

You should go to the disney web site and check out what each park will have going on at that time. My first thought was also to do Magic Kingdom but, Hollywood Studios will have the Christmas lights up at that time and "snow". Also EPCOT does the Candelight processional (my absolute fav!) Find out what interests you the most. You are getting there right before the parks get crazy busy but you still get to see the holiday stuff--great timing!

Yeah on the not having to drive from Miami lol. I have done it and I don't like it. I live in the Orlando area and I am flying to FLL with my two teens for a cruise. 15 min fight vs 3-4 hr drive with 2 teenagers asking "how much longer" every 5 mins??? ;)

Oh and the Mariner was my very first cruise--very nice. Have a wonderful trip. I hope you enjoy FL--I know I sure do.

I will absolutely check out the site.

I will be staying on International Drive. Does anyone have any opinions on if the Premium or the Prime Outlets are better?

Thanks to all you Florida residents and experienced visitors!

Kim

I will absolutely check out the site.

I will be staying on International Drive. Does anyone have any opinions on if the Premium or the Prime Outlets are better?

Thanks to all you Florida residents and experienced visitors!

Kim

Prime! It was all redone last year. I have done some damage there lol. They had some nice sales last Christmas. All the females in my family ended up with Coach bags.

Hey brazilgirl!

It looks like you have been doing a little research on your own. I'm impressed that you know the names of our two outlet malls!

And, I too endorse Prime Outlets. It's at the end of I-Drive, so you may even be able to catch an hotel shuttle there, depending on which hotel you're in.

There are lots of "little" things to do on I-Drive: min-golf, Wet-n-Wild (water park), go-kart track, tons of restaurants. You could spend an evening just walking around and find plenty to do.

Ohhh--just remembered, in Festival Bay (next to Prime Outlets) there are two fun places for kids: Monkey Joe's, which is an indoor inflatable slide/bouncy house place. Lots of room for your kids to run around and slide on some great inflatables. And-there's also a VANS skatepark. Neat indoor and outdoor skateboarding.

Have fun!

CeleBrat

Flying certainly takes off a lot of pressure.

Check the Disneyworld website for park hours and to get a good idea of what each park offers. The Magic Kingdom has a lot more rides than the Animal Kingdom - it's very similar to Disneyland, with almost all the rides and attractions being pretty much the same. The Animal Kingdom is more about the animal experience. I highly recommend the Lion King show if they're still doing it; it's amazing - if you go, make sure the kids sit up front so they can participate when it's time. The safari is also fantastic. We had to go back to the park a second day just to do it again.

Depending on the hours the parks are open, I might try to do two parks in one day with our daughter (again, you have to know your own child and make your own evaluation). If they're closing at 5pm, I wouldn't bother. You just won't get enough time in either park to make the multi-park ticket worth it.

As I was saying, check the website. Whenever I'm planning a trip, I find websites that show things we might be able to choose, and then I go through them with my daughter to see what appeals to her. It's easier with only one, but perhaps if your older two are more open to doing whichever park they can, you might see which one your youngest is most excited about.

Whichever park(s) you choose, you will absolutely want a stroller for the 4 year old. My niece tried to tell me she was too big for one when she was 5 and after about two hours she tugged my sleeve and asked if it was too late to get one. Then she had a nap for about a half hour before the parade. :) One thing about Disney - no matter what park you go to, you're guaranteed to have fun.

The tips about International Drive are sensational....

I have already been checking all the websites and Oralndo´s city cuide ( that is how I found out about the outlets-so excited!).I love researching before all my travels. It is half the fun...

However ,I know so many CC members are from the Florida are or have visited

the Orlando area extensively. Advice from real people is always so nice-a different perspective than internet research.

Oralndo sounds amazing-bet I could spend months with the kids and they´d never get bored.

I´d forgotten that the parks will be decorated for Christmas-that will make it extra special.

I will definitely get a stroller (do they have one for adults?)

Kim

Archived