question about luggage on the train

kirby1200

We'll be traveling with Princess soon. I've read some threads about the luggage. From what I gather, you only have under your seat for storage.

1. I assume this is close to the size of an airplane seat?

2. Is there any reason you have to take ANY luggage with you? Can't they just deliver it all to your hotel?

I'm still confused.

Lisa

We'll be traveling with Princess soon. I've read some threads about the luggage. From what I gather, you only have under your seat for storage.

1. I assume this is close to the size of an airplane seat?

2. Is there any reason you have to take ANY luggage with you? Can't they just deliver it all to your hotel?

I'm still confused.

Lisa

Each cruisetour seems to be a little different. I did HAL for 11 days through the Yukon and Interior Alaska to Fairbanks. Then from Fairbanks we went on the dome rail car. We were given colored tags for our large suitcases and told to put them outside the door, they would be collected and taken to the hotel in Anchorage. We were allowed one carry-on bag, but we didn't have to put it under our seat. They put it in the compartment under the cars. Then when we got to Denali, they were all set outside the car, and we just went by to pick them up.

When we left Denali, it was the same procedure, then when we got to Anchorage Hilton, our large suitcase was in the room, just like they said it would be.

Hopefully someone that has done the Princess cruisetour can tell you for sure.

There is enough room for a small hand carry on the train-we took a small bag with valuables, medications, books, etc. The rest of the luggage goes separately by truck and will be in your hotel room when you arrive.

Enjoy-we loved our Princess tour!

We did Princess in 2005 and used one rolling suitcase the size of a carryon for plane travel for the two of us. It took up the space under the seat for the two of us, too.

The issue was that you had to have your luggage outside your door the night before or REALLY early the morning we were leaving each lodge. I kept things in the carryon that I used for getting ready in the morning- hair care products, other toiletries, robe & slippers, dirty clothes from the day before that weren't packed in the luggage before it was picked up, etc. While Princess does a great job of moving your luggage for you, I just remember the timing of that not being the most convenient.

What if you are not on a tour? Is there any problem? We are doing our own tours and staying in anchorage the night before. So we have booked our own train ride. Are we going to have any issues with our luggage?

What if you are not on a tour? Is there any problem? We are doing our own tours and staying in anchorage the night before. So we have booked our own train ride. Are we going to have any issues with our luggage?

I live here and just took the Sapphire Princess and had booked our own train. So this is how it worked.

Tag your luggage with your cabin bag tags. When you get dropped off at the train depot, proceed to the area where it says luggage. There will be Railroad employees waiting for you to take your luggage. You'll need to show your ship boarding pass and ID and then they will take your luggage. The luggage will be set aside until a Princess truck comes and gets it and drives it to Whittier and the ship, where then it magically will appear in your cabin sometime later.

Then proceed into the Railroad depot where you'll proceed to the ticket window and check in and get your train boarding passes.

Then when you get to Whittier, you'll get off the train and head for the ship. It's the easiest embarkation I've done in 9 cruises.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived