Scuba Dive Operators in Cozumel?

Scubadiver08

My husband did his pool work at home and needed to do his open water dives when we were there in March. We were fortunate enough to meet Mau and Opal who had just opened their own shop. They have a lot of experience and all new equipment. I don't dive and they were very accomodating to take me snorkeling while he dove. He liked them so much that he dove 5 out of 7 days. The name of the shop is Scubamau. Their website is http://www.scubamaucozumel.com Have a great time. Debbi

You'd be amazed to learn how many scuba operations there are on Cozumel.

It's impossible to declare any one of them the best, because best for you may not be the same as best for me.

When choosing an operator, consider the following - do you prefer smaller, faster boats that take fewer divers but may not have as many creature comforts? Are you an experienced diver that may be frustrated if you choose an op that limits bottom times to either a set amount of time or until the first diver is low on air? Is the offering of between dive snacks or where/how you spend your surface interval important to you? No matter whom you choose, you won't likely be treated as an experienced diver, no matter what your c-card or logbook says until they've had a chance to personally evaluate your skills, comfort level, etc. - so don't expect someone to take you to Devil's Throat on your first dive witht them (if they do, then you can be sure that diver's safety is not of paramount importance to them).

My family just returned from a 10 day Cozumel trip. We did seven days of two tank diving, and used Scuba With Alison for our dive op. We liked her safety firat approach that she managed to balance with a relaxed atmosphere. You can dive until your tank, tables, or computer tell you it's time to go up, she provided cold water and soda, and a selection of both healthy and not so healthy snacks between dives, which are normally spent at a beach. They swap your gear between dives, and if you're diving multiple days with them thay will keep, rinse, store, and return your BCs and regs to the boat where they'll be mounted to a tank when you board.

I can't say enough about how much we liked them, but they do tend to book quickly.

In any event - have fun!

It's impossible to declare any one of them the best, because best for you may not be the same as best for me.

When choosing an operator, consider the following - do you prefer smaller, faster boats that take fewer divers but may not have as many creature comforts? Are you an experienced diver that may be frustrated if you choose an op that limits bottom times to either a set amount of time or until the first diver is low on air? Is the offering of between dive snacks or where/how you spend your surface interval important to you? No matter whom you choose, you won't likely be treated as an experienced diver, no matter what your c-card or logbook says until they've had a chance to personally evaluate your skills, comfort level, etc. - so don't expect someone to take you to Devil's Throat on your first dive witht them (if they do, then you can be sure that diver's safety is not of paramount importance to them).

My family just returned from a 10 day Cozumel trip. We did seven days of two tank diving, and used Scuba With Alison for our dive op. We liked her safety firat approach that she managed to balance with a relaxed atmosphere. You can dive until your tank, tables, or computer tell you it's time to go up, she provided cold water and soda, and a selection of both healthy and not so healthy snacks between dives, which are normally spent at a beach. They swap your gear between dives, and if you're diving multiple days with them thay will keep, rinse, store, and return your BCs and regs to the boat where they'll be mounted to a tank when you board.

I can't say enough about how much we liked them, but they do tend to book quickly.

In any event - have fun!

Totally agree with your post, especially the bold part.

In addition on the already mentioned, well respected Alison, some others to consider:

Christ's http://www.bluextseadiving.com (my personal favorite)

http://www.scubatony.com

http://www.eagelraydivers.com

http://www.divewithmartin.com

scuba Betsy

http://www.livingunderwater.com

In any event - have fun!

Glad to hear this great review for Allison, as my husband is diving with her next week. He's a new diver and she's assured me she'll take care of him! Nice to know others feel so positively about her.

Glad to hear this great review for Allison, as my husband is diving with her next week. He's a new diver and she's assured me she'll take care of him! Nice to know others feel so positively about her.

Lisa - your husband is in good hands! My wife hadn't been diving for several years, and was very nervous before our first dive, but Alison had her calmed down completely within 30 seconds after entering the water.

• 2 weeks later...
Lisa - your husband is in good hands! My wife hadn't been diving for several years, and was very nervous before our first dive, but Alison had her calmed down completely within 30 seconds after entering the water.

Well, we're back from our cruise. Unfortunately, we turned on our cell phone in Cozumel to find a message from Allison that there was a motor problem on her boat and she had to cancel Steve's dive! Needless to say we were very disappointed. All she had to suggest was getting on the ship's excursion, which is what he did. We didn't find out until almost 10AM (the cell phone was off until we docked) so he didn't have many options. I wish she'd have made some arrangements with another dive company- can't believe she just left him with nothing.

He did the dive with the ship's excursion and it was just ok. We will be back in Coz in April and I think we'll look for someone else for him to dive with.

Well, we're back from our cruise. Unfortunately, we turned on our cell phone in Cozumel to find a message from Allison that there was a motor problem on her boat and she had to cancel Steve's dive! Needless to say we were very disappointed. All she had to suggest was getting on the ship's excursion, which is what he did. We didn't find out until almost 10AM (the cell phone was off until we docked) so he didn't have many options. I wish she'd have made some arrangements with another dive company- can't believe she just left him with nothing.

He did the dive with the ship's excursion and it was just ok. We will be back in Coz in April and I think we'll look for someone else for him to dive with.

What did she say went you contacted her after your cruise?

That's a real shame! Have you had a chance to talk to her to find out when the motor problem happened? There's undoubtedly a good reason that she couldn't just "assign" your husband's reservation to another operator, but I can understand why you want to find someone else to use in April. I do believe that she wouldn't make up an excuse to cancel - she's not like that. Hope Steve has a great dive next time.

That's a real shame! Have you had a chance to talk to her to find out when the motor problem happened? There's undoubtedly a good reason that she couldn't just "assign" your husband's reservation to another operator, but I can understand why you want to find someone else to use in April. I do believe that she wouldn't make up an excuse to cancel - she's not like that. Hope Steve has a great dive next time.

The reason was partly because their late arrival time. They arrived in Cozumel at 10:00 AM. Just about all the dive boat are on the water by then, so it was next to impossible for Alison to arrange a back up. If they had arrived earlier, like at 8:00 AM, I'm sure it would have been possible for Alison to arrange a backup. Also, it wasn't like Alison knew 3 days ahead of time that the boat motor wasn't going to work that morning so she could have made other arrangements in advance. She found out about the problem that morning. At least she called and left a message so vplsh's DH didn't have made the trip to the Caletta for nothing.

I'm sorry he didn't get to dive with Alison, but he did get to dive.

The reason was partly because their late arrival time. They arrived in Cozumel at 10:00 AM. Just about all the dive boat are on the water by then, so it was next to impossible for Alison to arrange a back up. If they had arrived earlier, like at 8:00 AM, I'm sure it would have been possible for Alison to arrange a backup. Also, it wasn't like Alison knew 3 days ahead of time that the boat motor wasn't going to work that morning so she could have made other arrangements in advance. She found out about the problem that morning. At least she called and left a message so vplsh's DH didn't have made the trip to the Caletta for nothing.

I'm sorry he didn't get to dive with Alison, but he did get to dive.

The message was actually left from the day before- we just didn't get it until we arrived in Cozumel. I will let you know what she says when I email her. I came home from the cruise and just about turned around for a business trip and haven't emailed her yet. I know- I found the time to post here...

I heard back from Allison today and have to say I feel better. She echoed what Bruce said about the time of our arrival being a problem. Thanks for the advice to contact her.

Here is her reply:

Hola Lisa,

I was very, very disappointed myself. I had a very stressful morning full of problems. I was glad that I got your cell phone number and I was able to reach you in time because my biggest worry was that Steve would not get to dive in Cozumel! Since your ship arrived so late it was just about impossible to place Steve on another boat since most dive boats go out at 8:00 am local time. That is why I suggested that he go with the cruise ship operator. It seemed like a sure bet at the last minute.

I hope that Steve had a good time anyway. I know that it is not as much fun to go with a big group. Unfortunately I had some huge problems that morning and had to cancel Steve´s boat. There was another couple that I never did get a hold of because their cell phone didn´t work in Cozumel. I felt awful about the whole thing. But I am very glad that I got a hold of Steve in time for him to at least get the chance to dive !!!!

Sorry about the inconvenience and disappointment.

Alison

Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

Thanks for getting back to us. I am also sorry DH missed diving with Alison and that there was some hard feelings about it, but I'm glad he did get to dive in Cozumel after all.

After my first visit to Cozumel on a cruise, I had to go there for a week for our next vacation. I didn't like feeling rushed to get off the ship and having to take a taxi to the Caletta was more work. I like it better staying on the island and having the dive boat pick me up from the hotel dock. It is just a lot easier and of course, you get to dive more.

Archived